Community

Team 1 turknado

Old 05-06-2016, 02:02 PM
Fork Horn

JoeA, I'm all tagged out, so I won't be taking anymore this year.
Also, both were taken in different counties.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Still in Orlando doing the Disney thing with the family. Hopefully will get out again next weekend. Only been out twice so far this year, hesitated on the first day and didn't score, second time out at my gun club in RI was a bust, no birds heard or seen.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:56 AM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

It's all over in MO. Had a memorable spring taking 2 nice MO birds. Traveled many miles and got to see my son kill 8 turkeys in 5 states. He did complete his calendar grand slam by killing
2 nice merriams in NE last Thursday. Good luck to those that
are still hunting.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:09 PM
Fork Horn

Will I am done turkey hunting for the year. After 3 nice turk for year is over. I did shoot one big one and two 9 in beards with my bow. I did call in some nice turkey for a friend and miss a 10 yards away LOL

Turkman

P.S. I hope everyone had a good year
Old 05-14-2016, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Back from FL. Saw a bunch of Osceolas down in FL, reminded me how much I would rather have been hunting than visiting the mouse. Got out today, had one hammering on the roost. He hung up for nearly an hour, but I coaxed him in to about 50 yards. That bird was WARY. I tried to get into position to shoot. I barely moved and he was just GONE. As soon as I put my finger on the trigger he disappeared as if the ground swallowed him up. I didn't even see him run. That was the only action this morning. Will try and get out again tomorrow.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:50 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Had 3 jakes 5 steps away and watched as they molested my decoy. Mated her so hard she tipped over and went belly up!
Then the boss of that trio picked on my jake while the 2 chased each other around in circles. Those two kept at better than 20 acres.
I did see the big guy and do have a plan.
I have till the 24th.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:11 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Had the scare of my life yesterday.
I lost my phone....dang thing fell out on a Run and Gun. Sound is off. Was freeze warnings last night and all my kill pictures are on it.
Thank goodness for a good friend who loaned me his. At 330 AM I kept calling my number hoping to see the screen glow in the woods. It worked even face down.
I searched for hours yesterday. In fact I was up 39 hrs straight. But back out working the last day of season 5.
Last season starts Wed. And my 4 dang kill pictures and story gets done tonight!
Signed....stoopid Ole JW
Old 05-18-2016, 11:45 AM
Typical Buck

No turkey for me this year....worst season I have ever had- I have had tag at the end of seasons before, but this year was terrible- rain every day but 3-4 days. Turkeys did not gobble, did not come to the fields when it was raining, did not respond, did not die....Never fired my shotgun. Never had it off safety. YUCK!
Old 05-19-2016, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had seasons like that before Firelt. This season is turning into a special kind of frustrating. Had that same bird roosted again today. He was hammering for a long time before he flew down well into daylight. I saw him fly off to his left (my right) maybe 60 or 70 yards away. He went quiet, but I was persistent. I saw him moving thru the woods to my right and he ended up 35 yards away directly to my right. He was moving away and I clucked, got him to stop and gobble and he turned around. I lost him in the woods but he was moving towards my decoy. After a long wait (this bird moves slow and deliberate) I decided to move.

I set up on the field I was at on Saturday, but moved back a couple yards which was higher and allowed more of a view of the field. As soon as I clucked, I saw him enter the field from the opposite end and cut kitty corner behind my decoy. Lost him over a rise, but assumed he was still there. After a while with no movement, I sat tight, thinking about how this bird operates. Sure enough, I saw him stretch his wings. I kept at him, but after a good while I expected he was really gone. He was. This is getting personal. I'm pretty sure this is the 3rd or 4th time I had this bird in range, but only 1 shot opportunity that I botched by hesitating. I will get on him again before the season is over. I think I have about another week to go.

I did get out to the club on Sunday, no sign of life unless you count mosquitoes...
Old 05-22-2016, 03:31 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Bird down. 1 tag left and 2 days left.
Haven't gotten to him yet but I have photos.
Why?
Second bird gobbling and is close by.
At least a 2 yr old.....
I set up here waiting based on tracks in the plowed field.

JW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.