Community

Team 1 turknado

Old 05-03-2016, 08:07 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Saw 7 good toms last roosted them.
This morning picked 2 of them to track. I'm happy to say of the toms turned into 3 nice strutters tucked away in a very accessible field for me.
So am thinking of taking a buddy to shoot yet another double!
Then we put in another blind for one more setup.
All I need do now is get my other buddy set on that woods monster I found.
Did locate a vocal tom I shocked him on a new hunk of property as a fall back.
Tomorrow 4th WI season opens.
JW

Last edited by JW; 05-03-2016 at 08:09 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

Got my bag limit of 2 here in Ohio. I'll be back out taking a neighbor to set up on my new hotspot I hunted Friday. Had gobbling going on all around me. Missed one due to bad ammo, then had 3 come to me when I shot one. Then saw 4 more good toms on my way out. I helped him get his first bird last year, a jake. This will be his week to get a big tom.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Went out this morning and heard some gobbling but nothing was real close. I did have 1 good find though, but it was only one.
Attached Thumbnails Team 1 turknado-mushroom.jpeg  
Old 05-04-2016, 10:17 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Called in another bearded hen this morning.
I let her walk.
Did see the Tom I was after but could not coax him I'm away from his hens.
Best I could do was 66 yards.
JW
Old 05-04-2016, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

It's been a very frustrating season so far, as I have only been able to get out once, and usually I am out every day of opening week.

For those of you that have been on here a while you've probably heard me talk about the German Baptist land that I hunt. They allow me to hunt an entire section and up until this season I had zero competition. Well this year they let a neighbor and his sons hunt it. That's fine and all but when I have to work all first week or two, they are out stompin around educating the old wise Toms.

Today after going to a school function for my daughter I thought, "I'll go try and chase a few birds" this was at 3:30 and it was REALLY warm in KS today!

I went to a spot that I like, walked in about 100 yards and sat down and listened.... for 15 min. nada.

Then I called... nada.

15 minutes later... called again... zippo.

I moved a little closer to where I pictured a Tom entering my line of fire and as I sat down I heard leaves rustling. As you know, after chasing turkeys for many years you can tell the difference between a squirrel, a deer, and a hot Tom coming in silent.

I quickly dropped and aimed to where I was just sure he'd pop over the ridge, and yup.... DRUMMMMMMMMMM...... BOOM!

Pretty quick and no real cat and mouse.

I was sure I could call one in, and I assumed after all the pressure, they'd be silent, but it's great when a plan plays out like you see it in your head!

BIG OLE corn fed KS Tom
23.2 pounds
Each spur 1 3/16
Beard 10 3/8
Eastern
Shotgun

Last edited by BIG DONNIE BRASCO; 05-04-2016 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

WAY TO GO!!! Another big bird down. Also another example of hunting a turkey where he's going to be.

Well done my friend, well done.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

We have 8 birds down in total. Scoring each hunter's best bird (5) gives our team a score of 287.6875. Our biggest bird registered was shot by DTC and came in at 85.5. Congrats are due to his efforts.

PS..hey Jmedenf...leave some for next year.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:31 PM
Typical Buck

Right now our weather stinks. I have a few days next week to seal the deal, but the forecast in for MORE RAIN!!! It's been a wet cold turkey season. I had a disabled vet and full-time guy out last week for opening. Both had chances and both went home empty. The day two bird was a beast. I'll get something done next week!!!
Old 05-06-2016, 03:09 AM
Fork Horn

Great job, Big Donnie Brasco That a nice one.

Turkman
Old 05-06-2016, 05:00 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Way to go team.
And I have number 4 down.
Out tags till Wednesday
JW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.