Community

Team 1 turknado

Old 03-18-2016, 04:19 PM
Typical Buck

Turkey hunting kills me sometimes lol.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:46 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I also hated jake decoys......have done very well with my strutter when used correctly until I got the DSD jake. That rascal works for me about every time I put him out. I firmly believe is is due to the posture of that decoy. I have never seen anything like it.

JW
Old 03-19-2016, 08:45 AM
Fork Horn

I've had toms come in to hen decoys as well as hen/jake decoy sets. When I use the set, the tom always goes for the jake first. Last year, I had put out a set, and the tom came out of the woods behind me into the field and went straight for the hen. When he got about halfway to the hen, he then noticed the jake I had placed inconspicuously in some grass in a laying down position. He changed directions and went toward the jake, which brought him 20 yards right across the front of my prepositioned gun barrel.

I think sometimes the jake decoy will keep them from coming in from a distance, but in my setup, he didn't know he was there until he was already committed and had to defend what he had already staked as his own. Unfortunately, I didn't set it up with that intention, but that is how it ended up working out. Whether you use a jake or not is a personal preference, but they can give you the results you want if used in the right time and place.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like an exciting hunt, bald9eagle. I've had a few hunts go south but had great experiences during those hunts just the same. I've had a few that I probably could have salvaged just by swinging and shooting at a retreating bird, but for the most part when they take off I give them the win.

I've used jakes, strutters , and hen decoys in various combos, but I seem to have the best luck with a single hen so that's what I've been using lately.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

BIG DONNIE BRASCO has been added to your team. Send him a pm and let him know
Old 03-22-2016, 06:16 AM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

Birds in MO are acting weird. I've seen gobblers with hens, groups of gobblers, and single gobblers. I have no idea what's going on. I've seen very few strutting and haven't heard any
gobbling (I've only listened a couple of times from my house)
We leave Friday for TX. I am taking DTC Jr down for the youth
weekend.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:59 AM
Fork Horn

What part of MO are you in?

Good luck!!

Don

Originally Posted by DTC
Birds in MO are acting weird. I've seen gobblers with hens, groups of gobblers, and single gobblers. I have no idea what's going on. I've seen very few strutting and haven't heard any
gobbling (I've only listened a couple of times from my house)
We leave Friday for TX. I am taking DTC Jr down for the youth
weekend.

Last edited by BIG DONNIE BRASCO; 03-23-2016 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:18 AM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BIG DONNIE BRASCO
What park of MO are you in?

Good luck!!

Don

SW MO, I am about an hour east of Springfield.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Donnie! Welcome.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:22 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Stepped out the door this morning and my 1st box yelps got an answer. Checked in with 2 farmers and am set to take my student out. I teach a learn to hunt program sponsored in WI. Our hunt will be April 2.
Went back to one farm before noon and found 3 dandies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.