Community

Team 1 turknado

Old 03-11-2016, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Joe, congrats on your turkey. I scored your bird and put it on the score thread. It scored 42.75. You can post your pic on the picture post.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:09 AM
Typical Buck

Way to start us off Joe!
Old 03-13-2016, 05:22 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Who was our team captain last year?

Sorry I am old and forgetful.

And so I went back to check the Archives........Joe you where captain. You did an outstanding job and have my vote for this yr!

Lead on son!

JW

Last edited by JW; 03-13-2016 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:03 AM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

Not that it helps our team but DTC Jr finished his slam this weekend.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

need a captain picked soon...
Old 03-15-2016, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll assume the duty of captain. If anyone else wants to take it over...make your case.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Need check-ins from daveco and BB Outdoors.
Old 03-17-2016, 04:40 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Joe - I can get e-mails so I sent an email asking them to either come check in or tell us so we can replace..

DAve
Old 03-18-2016, 11:06 AM
Typical Buck

Sorry guys. Let the team down.

Had a good day yesterday. Set up on a tom we roosted the day before. We had a near perfect set up in some recently thinned pines. We placed a Montana Decoy hen and jake about 20 yards below us in a little saddle. The bird hit the ground 100+ yards from us and promptly started answering calls. He strutted up on top on the little hill on the other side of the saddle about 80 yards away. The moment he caught a glimpse of the bright red head on the jake he dropped strut and wandered off. It would have been over in less than an hour.

I got on a second bird around 9 by myself. I stopped and made a call from the truck. He answered and the hunt was on. I walked 10 yards from the truck and he was standing 150 yards on the road bed looking at me when I rounded a curve. I eased back and he left the road. I got him to gobble again so I knew he wasn't too spooked. I walked away and called without answer. When I eased back to the curve and peaked down he was back on the road. I ducked down and tried calling him in. He wouldn't answer. Looking back he had left again. I walked to where he had been and he answered about 40 yards away! We talked to each other for an hour. He mostly drumming and me mostly clucking and scratching. When he wouldn't break I slid down the road to get him to think I was leaving. He wouldn't answer and I couldn't hear drumming. Imagine the surprise on both our faces when he popped over the edge of the opposite side of the roadbed I was on! FYI...you can not shoulder your gun faster than a turkey can duck and run. Needless to say he got a couple of warning shots as he flew away unharmed.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Keep at it. It still sounds like a great experience. Several years ago I got a trio of decoys; hen, jake and tom. Of the few turkeys I've shot coming in to a decoy set up, I only had the hen out.
For me, the best place for the jake or gobbler decoy is in the closet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.