HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   2016 Turkey Contest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2016-turkey-contest-170/)
-   -   Team 1 turknado (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2016-turkey-contest/404336-team-1-turknado.html)

firelt72 03-18-2016 04:19 PM

Turkey hunting kills me sometimes lol.

JW 03-18-2016 06:46 PM

I also hated jake decoys......have done very well with my strutter when used correctly until I got the DSD jake. That rascal works for me about every time I put him out. I firmly believe is is due to the posture of that decoy. I have never seen anything like it.

JW

jmedenf 03-19-2016 08:45 AM

I've had toms come in to hen decoys as well as hen/jake decoy sets. When I use the set, the tom always goes for the jake first. Last year, I had put out a set, and the tom came out of the woods behind me into the field and went straight for the hen. When he got about halfway to the hen, he then noticed the jake I had placed inconspicuously in some grass in a laying down position. He changed directions and went toward the jake, which brought him 20 yards right across the front of my prepositioned gun barrel.

I think sometimes the jake decoy will keep them from coming in from a distance, but in my setup, he didn't know he was there until he was already committed and had to defend what he had already staked as his own. Unfortunately, I didn't set it up with that intention, but that is how it ended up working out. Whether you use a jake or not is a personal preference, but they can give you the results you want if used in the right time and place.

RIStrutStopper 03-20-2016 06:40 AM

Sounds like an exciting hunt, bald9eagle. I've had a few hunts go south but had great experiences during those hunts just the same. I've had a few that I probably could have salvaged just by swinging and shooting at a retreating bird, but for the most part when they take off I give them the win.

I've used jakes, strutters , and hen decoys in various combos, but I seem to have the best luck with a single hen so that's what I've been using lately.

Arrowmaster 03-20-2016 03:11 PM

BIG DONNIE BRASCO has been added to your team. Send him a pm and let him know

DTC 03-22-2016 06:16 AM

Birds in MO are acting weird. I've seen gobblers with hens, groups of gobblers, and single gobblers. I have no idea what's going on. I've seen very few strutting and haven't heard any
gobbling (I've only listened a couple of times from my house)
We leave Friday for TX. I am taking DTC Jr down for the youth
weekend.

BIG DONNIE BRASCO 03-22-2016 07:59 AM

What part of MO are you in?

Good luck!!

Don

Originally Posted by DTC (Post 4251550)
Birds in MO are acting weird. I've seen gobblers with hens, groups of gobblers, and single gobblers. I have no idea what's going on. I've seen very few strutting and haven't heard any
gobbling (I've only listened a couple of times from my house)
We leave Friday for TX. I am taking DTC Jr down for the youth
weekend.

DTC 03-22-2016 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by BIG DONNIE BRASCO (Post 4251571)
What park of MO are you in?

Good luck!!

Don

SW MO, I am about an hour east of Springfield.

JoeA 03-22-2016 12:46 PM

Hey Donnie! Welcome.

JW 03-22-2016 08:22 PM

Stepped out the door this morning and my 1st box yelps got an answer. Checked in with 2 farmers and am set to take my student out. I teach a learn to hunt program sponsored in WI. Our hunt will be April 2.
Went back to one farm before noon and found 3 dandies.

BIG DONNIE BRASCO 03-23-2016 08:51 AM

Thanks Joe.... can't wait to get out there!!!

Archery on April 4th then the 13th for shotguns. (in KS)

Originally Posted by JoeA (Post 4251663)
Hey Donnie! Welcome.

JW 03-23-2016 09:01 AM

Big Donnie - welcome.......now we are going to kick.....turkey butt!

JW

DTC 03-23-2016 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by BIG DONNIE BRASCO (Post 4251829)
Thanks Joe.... can't wait to get out there!!!

Archery on April 4th then the 13th for shotguns. (in KS)

Hey Big Donnie, a buddy of mine has asked me about taking our boys to KS for turkey. He has some private ground to hunt just across the line. I hope we can get it all worked out.

BIG DONNIE BRASCO 03-23-2016 02:10 PM

PM me if you have any issues, maybe I can help.

Don

Originally Posted by DTC (Post 4251866)
Hey Big Donnie, a buddy of mine has asked me about taking our boys to KS for turkey. He has some private ground to hunt just across the line. I hope we can get it all worked out.

turkman1 03-30-2016 03:18 PM

Hey, Big Donnie
Happy to see you
I hope you get a big one this year.

Turkman

JoeA 03-30-2016 03:42 PM

Is anyone getting out in the woods and getting after'em? Hearing gobbles? Seein' toms?

bald9eagle 03-30-2016 08:40 PM

Limited right now Joe. Going hard after 'em next week. Helped a friend of my brother take his son on youth hunt last Saturday. Chased one until we ran in on some other hunters set up on them.

Hearing some good reports right now. Seems everyone is hearing more gobbling than last two years. The most encouraging thing that I have heard from locals is the number of birds being seen right near my house. We don't have an open season in my part of the county. I have heard of multiple birds in areas that no birds have existed in my 41 years of life.

DTC 03-31-2016 08:38 AM

I've been out for the youth seasons with my son. We are headed to Kansas this weekend. Not seeing much in SW MO right now.

JW 04-02-2016 04:19 AM

Out on a Wi learn to hunt. I teach tue techniques and calling.
Dead quiet by us and dang snow

JW 04-03-2016 06:05 PM

Bird down....for my new student to which I mentored.....took all day to do it tho....what a trooper that 11 yr old was! Man she had more Kahonies than most boys I know....

JW

DTC 04-04-2016 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by BIG DONNIE BRASCO (Post 4251886)
PM me if you have any issues, maybe I can help.

Don

Big Donnie, Kansas was good for the boys. They both killed nice 2 year old birds the first day. We saw several turkeys but holy crap you have a lot of coyotes!

JoeA 04-04-2016 12:27 PM

Congrats to DTC's crew. It looks like you inducted two more into "The Great Flock". Got any pix?

JW- Great job! Congrats to your new hunter. Perseverance pays. We all share in the vicarious thrill of your student's hunt.

DTC 04-05-2016 06:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic from our day in Kansas. We had a couple great hunts. I can assure you it's something this dad and those boys
won't forget for a long time. We are already planning a return
trip for next year.

ManofTheFall 04-07-2016 08:24 PM

Very nice!!!!! Congrats!!!!!

DTC 04-11-2016 11:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We had another great youth season here in MO. I got the boy on another good bird. Our season opens a week from today and you can bet I will be out chasing longbeards.

ManofTheFall 04-11-2016 08:56 PM

Very nice. I will be taking out the grandson Saturday for youth season, then my time is next Monday morning!!!!!

DTC 04-13-2016 05:44 AM

Weather is showing rain for Monday and part of Tuesday. I might work Monday and
take off Tuesday and Wednesday now. I heard 6 gobble last night checking cameras.

turkman1 04-13-2016 03:59 PM

DTC, Congrats Your the man!!!

DTC 04-15-2016 11:30 AM

Heard around 15 different gobblers this morning. I will be hitting the woods Monday morning.

ManofTheFall 04-16-2016 07:40 AM

It was a great morning. We called in 6 birds, saw a 7th one but it was too far to tell what it was. 2 big gobblers, 2 jakes and 2 hens. The first group which was the 1 gobbler, 2 jakes and 2 hens came in about 7:15. The grandson shot at and missed the big boy at about 23 yards. The next big gobbler came in around 8:00 and was about to attack the Jake decoy when I told him to shoot again. This shot was probably about 18 yards. He missed again. We practiced and he was hitting good at these distances. What I always wondered though is a .410 strong enough to kill a turkey. I suppose at this distance it should be but I know he is a good shot and now I really have to wonder. Let me know what you all think.

ManofTheFall 04-16-2016 10:02 PM

I hope I have half the luck my grandson and I had on Saturday. I have been after turkeys hard now for 6 years. I have killed a couple hens, a few jakes, a bearded hen and one gobbler with a 4 3/4" inch beard. I have never been so close to really big nice gobblers as my grandson and I were on Saturday. They both had 10"-12" inch beards on them and they had to be well over 20 pounds each. 18 and 23 yards. My 12 gauge will lay waste to those bad boys if I get that same chance!!!!! Monday morning here I come. I have the first three days off so hopefully I am successful cause after that my chances to get out will be sporadic at best. I will go over the video footage and try and post up a couple pics of the gobblers my grandson shot at.

JW 04-17-2016 12:41 AM

Well I have the Learn to Hunt turkey program out of the way. The youth hunt out of the way. Took a guy out WI opener and he scored a 67.375 NWTF bird. And last day of scouting for the MI opener.
I am 3 for 3 on helping folks.
Will roost mine tonight. Scouted yesterday and have 2 spots so my kid and I can try for a double. It starts in earnest for me On Monday
JW

ManofTheFall 04-17-2016 07:45 PM

Tonight I am working until 4 AM. Then I will be heading home, changing my clothes, grabbing my stuff and heading out to the blind. Should arrive at the blind about 5:40 and have my bird by 7:30 if all goes well. Good luck to everyone else just starting and those who have also been at it a bit if your still after them!!!!! If I get a chance at one of those 2 birds my grandson shot at i will definitely layeth the smacketh down!!!!!

NXT Hunter 04-18-2016 07:08 AM

Well I thought it would be like clockwork. The same group of turkeys came towards me about the same time they did me and my grandson on Saturday. Only problem is they hung up at about 50 yards and wouldn't come any closer. I didn't feel comfortable taking a 50 yard shot so I eventually watched them walk away. Tomorrow is another day and I will be after them again. Heard lots of gobbling after I saw them but didn't see anymore.

superstrutter 04-18-2016 07:20 PM

Something smells a little fishy here. Is ManofTheFall and NXT Hunter the same person?

JW 04-19-2016 05:57 AM

I'm 4 for 4......and ...Ta Da.......Bird down by little Ole me.

Shot a double with my daughter in MI.
pictures to come.
I am done in MI.
Nice 2 yr old.
I start hunting WI 4/25......

But tonight have a MI farmer's kid to mentor!

JW

ManofTheFall 04-19-2016 07:58 AM

Sorry guys that last post I logged in under my grandsons username cause I forgot to switch it. Yes superstrutter we are 2 different people. I did put a Jake down this morning, saw one of the big gobblers but couldn't get him any closer than 80 yards. I will post pics later. I have 1 more good day to get after the big one.

DTC 04-20-2016 10:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Scored on this great bird in MO this morning. Weighed in at 21 1/2 lbs, sporting a 10" and 7" beard, to go along with 1 1/8" spurs.

JW 04-20-2016 10:51 AM

Attached boy DTC.
Scored a double with my daughter. Can't post pics from my phone.

BIG DONNIE BRASCO 04-20-2016 06:25 PM

FINALLY getting out this weekend!...
hopefully picts of a few dead birds to come.