Team 5 ~ Strut Stoppers

Old 05-11-2015, 05:27 PM
Fork Horn

Well , our season began on May 1st and I finally got one on Mothers Day morning. My brother had already tagged one on the second day and while I was away at my oldest daughters college graduation, he went out and roosted a Tom and 5 Jakes. We set up the next morning where we thought the birds had roosted, seeings how he couldn't see exactly where they had flown up. Before day light came, we had a little visitor that came and climbed the tree that was about 4 feet behind my brother. Needless to say, he was a little nervous because if that visitor fell out of the tree and on him, my brother was gonna have to get the pliers out and pull some quills. That didn't happen luckily for him. As the sun started to rise, the Tom was gobbling his head off to our right. Every once and a while, a jake would sound off further down the field. Eventually 2 of the jakes flew down, in sight, about 200 yards away. The Tom must of flew down in the woods and worked his way to where the jakes came down. We could see the Tom strutting on top of the knoll. The jakes looked like they were heading away from us but to our left. But 2 of them turned and started to head our way and eventually made their way to our decoys. The first one looked to have 2 beards and my brother was very tempted but held off. The Tom worked his way to us slowly, strutting and gobbling all the way. And when it looked like he was going to follow the jakes to the right of us, I said we better shoot because it didn't look like he was coming any closer. On the count of 3, I pulled the trigger and he went down like a ton of bricks and never flinched. My brother said he never shot because he was going to try and get the double bearded jake. It didn't happen. I paced it off and came up with 49 paces. By far my longest turkey kill. The bird weighed in at 15.2 lbs. It had a 8 1/2" beard with 3/4" spurs. I'm not done though. I've been hunting this 1 Tom that will easily go over 20lbs and has a rope that is the thickest I've ever seen in all the years that I've been turkey hunting. I've come close 3 different times but it hasn't worked out yet. Still have 3 more weeks. Wish me luck.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:33 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats! That's a great story, too!
Old 05-12-2015, 03:09 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats. Nice job.
Good luck on that other bird, sounds like a good one.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great job. Good luck on that other tom.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great Job VT!
Old 05-13-2015, 01:57 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Default Update

Congrats on the late season harvest. I'm still hunting on my last two SW Wisconsin tags. Taking Thurs/Fri off before returning for the weekend if not raining too hard.

I could have harvested another tom yesterday had I not been trying with my bow instead of gun. Got one within 25 yards. I missed a bowshot. I just had not practiced enough due to work I think. My arm wasn't all that steady either due to weakened arm from pinched nerve. Might have to stick to shotgun.

Had a very weird encounter between a farm kitten and two turkey hens. This one hen stayed right with the kitten for 15 minutes before a second hen flew down from a tree and dam near landed on top of them. Then they both followed the kitten as it walked off. The three looked familiar with each other. My video camera died but I filmed this using my iPhone but could not zoom in. I'm not sure how to transfer file properly. Last time I tried saving iPhone video to my computer the files were lost somehow.

Last edited by Zim; 05-14-2015 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:58 AM
Fork Horn

Just checking back in. Well I never got to get back out and hunt that big bearded Tom. Oh, we still have plenty of season left but my uncle shot him a couple of days ago so that took the wind out my sail. I've never obsessed over a bird before but this one was special. He had 3 beards measuring in at 8", 8 3/4", and 9 1/4 " with 1 1/4" spurs and weighing 23 1/2 lbs. I knew he was a beast. It turns my stomach but at least I know he is gone and I'm not wasting my time trying to hunt him and I know all the details on him. Those kind of birds only come around once and a great while. Who knows, maybe that double bearded jake we let walk will turn into my next obsession.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:20 PM
Fork Horn

I have new hope. I went and looked at my uncles bird and I don't think it's the same one that I've been hunting. Although, I would have loved to shoot the bird he got. He believes that it will be the new state record for the state of Vermont with a score of 100.5, easily shattering the previous record set in 2013. Now, hopefully I will be hunting this weekend coming and I can connect on my obsession.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:02 PM
car
Typical Buck

Well Ohio season has come to a close. This is the 2nd time I haven't filled a tag in all the years I've turkey hunted. It sucks but it happens. I do need to find a better place to hunt next year. In the passed I've had really good luck just hunting small wood lots in my area. Only had one tom this year and I could never pull him away from the hen he was with. Sorry to let the team down!

car
Old 05-20-2015, 12:43 PM
Fork Horn

Car- that is why they call it hunting and not killing. I have had several no tags filled seasons. Hopefully you learned something to help you in the future.

Good luck VT, sounds like some good turkey genes where you are hunting. Can not wait to see some pics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.