Team 2 ~ Team Turknado

Old 04-18-2015, 09:28 AM
Spike

Congratulations, turkman!
Old 04-18-2015, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

My season starts Monday, but I won't get out until Wednesday. Been seeing lots of turkey action around here. Sat on the back deck last night and watched a big tom dragging his beard in the field behind the house. Also got the trail cam up to try to catch a few pics of that ghost coyote I've been seeing.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:27 PM
JW
Super Moderator

And my momma grabbed my ear!

Congratulations to all who have put our team on the map! Hope it created a great memory for you!

JW
Old 04-19-2015, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm working tonight. I get off at 4am and I head home then straight out to the woods. Looks like the weather won't be very good but I got one of my 2 birds last year on a rainy day. Good luck to everyone else out there this morning!!!!!
Old 04-20-2015, 04:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I blew it guys. I had a very nice longbeard come in early. This was my first real chance at a nice one. He was about 40-50 yards out and to me it seemed like he was starting to leave. So I took a crack at him and knocked a few feathers off him. He flew off but I saw him go down. I walked down in the trees where I last saw him and as I walked a bit I saw him take off running about 40 yards away. I gave chase but didn't see him anymore. What do you all think. I have been back in the blind for about an hour now and haven't had any other action as of yet. I have to leave about 10:30 cause of other commitments. Think I'll see him anymore?

Last edited by ManofTheFall; 04-20-2015 at 04:37 AM.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I brought my video camera home and put it on the big screen. Here are a couple still shots of the gobbler. It looks like he has some pretty big spurs and a decent beard too. He is probably about 60 yards away here on full zoom. I shot when he was probably about 50 or a little less. Hind sight I probably should have waited and seen if he was going to come any closer but to me he appeared like he was leaving and I was really wanting to put this one on the board. Hopefully tomorrow I will have better results. I've still got quite a bit to learn when it comes to turkey hunting.
Attached Thumbnails Team 2 ~ Team Turknado-turkey-20151.jpeg   Team 2 ~ Team Turknado-turkey-20152.jpeg  

Last edited by ManofTheFall; 04-20-2015 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:52 AM
Spike

Had two birds come in to field setup this morning, about 8:45 AM. First tom mounted submissive hen and tried to breed it; first time I used this decoy and I was surprised because I assumed the bird would flog my mounted strutter. The landowner's granddaughter shot the breeding tom, and it jumped and stood there. I told her to shoot again; she did and nailed it. The second tom started walking toward his fallen buddy, I aimed and pulled the trigger, and realized the bolt on the Benelli hadn't seated properly. I pulled back the bolt and released it, it locked, the tom is flogging his buddy, I shoot him. Her first turkey, so she was excited. I was excited that we were both so lucky.
22.0 lbs, 11.0 inch beard, 1.0 inch spur, 1 1/16 inch spur.

We moved one of the birds for a photo.

Last edited by daveco; 04-21-2015 at 10:14 AM. Reason: adding photo
Old 04-20-2015, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Keep at it. One tell to watch for is a reset of the wings. Often, turkeys will reset their wings just before leaving an area. It happens fast.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Still got 9 days before my season opens. Just secured permission on 200 nice acres in Preston CT. Got another 100 acres in Baltic CT. Need to call the landowner of the small 30 acre plot that is an awesome early morning spot. Problem with that spot is, they fly down and pretty much make their way right off the property. If you don't get one right away, chances are you won't see anything else all morning. The bigger problem is its a 2 hour drive to get there!
Old 04-21-2015, 08:26 AM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

First time I haven't killed a turkey on opening day in 7 or 8 years. Passed on some jakes, just couldn't get the big boy in range.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.