Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2015 Turkey Contest
2014 Returning champs The Turkey Killers >

2014 Returning champs The Turkey Killers

Community

2014 Returning champs The Turkey Killers

Old 05-10-2015, 12:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good luck with you and your daughter swampbuster! As well as Talondale and everyone else out there hunting right now!!

I will be back at it again Monday morning.. I have Monday and Tuesday of this week and then back to work. The following week i will have Monday and Tuesday again and most of Wednesday and the mornings there after as I will be going in on night shifts..
Old 05-10-2015, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well guys, been a busy weekend. But I did get out friday night after work and was able to fill my final tag of the season here in Iowa. Definitely not my biggest bird but I'm tagged out. He went 20.5 lbs but I dont have his beard or spur measurements yet. I'll have to pull his legs and beard out of the freezer tomorrow and get measurements. Got home late friday and weighed and cleaned the bird then had a busy weekend. Going out with a buddy of mine to try and get him a bird tomorrow evening and a few times throughout the week until season ends next sunday. Other than that my season is winding down. Sucks I cant carry a gun anymore but feels good to tag out.
Attached Thumbnails 2014 Returning champs The Turkey Killers-imag1404.jpg  
Old 05-11-2015, 12:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats jepcho on getting another bird as well as tagging out !!! You have had a great year of hunting.. I am heading back out in a few minutes congrats again ...
Old 05-11-2015, 03:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you Phil and good luck! I know you're not gonna give up even after some frustration. Your perseverance will pay off.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by swampbuster
My family and I are about to go to church, then we will go out to eat with momma, and then my 8yr old daughter and I will be off to the sunflower state. Hopefully those Rios will be willing to cooperate. The weather looks pretty decent, and it should be a good time!
Good luck in Kansas swampbuster! Get em!
Old 05-11-2015, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats Jephco. Time is running out for me but I'm still going to try and get out one or two more times before its over.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

I was out this morning and I have dug out my blind.. it is time to get down to business.. I saw 2 groups of birds within a 1/4 mile from where I messed up on that last bird.. The biggest was 5 hens together and then on the other side of where I have been hunting 3 birds heading back into the woods from a clear cut.. Yessa, I have found a great spot to get it done in.. The best part is no one is hunting there!! So even if I do get a bird out of there I still stand a great chance at getting my other one there as well..

Good luck Talondale !! we are all routing for you to get a bird down..
Old 05-12-2015, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Good luck Phil. The season here has ended. I'll be pulling for all that are still at it
Old 05-12-2015, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

Congrates to all that have harvested a bird since I have been on.
I have purposely stay quite for a while cause I have been after a big old bird that a buddy turned me on to.
Well this morning it all came together and the bid ole boy is down.
It all started last weekend, sat morning we spotted him and two other longbeards in a field that my buddy has permission to hunt. Problem was they had hens. Tried him that morning only to have another hunter on adjoining property step out in to our field after crossing the fence. Turkeys left the field and not in my direction. Didn't get out for a evening hunt but made plans for Sunday morning. My buddy thought that they were roosting on the other corner of the field so we went there and setup only to have them come out across the field from us. However it almost worked as they seen my strutting decoy and ran all the way to me only to hang up at 50 yards, yes within killing range of my gun but just behind some tall grass and I did not want to risk it and they walked back to their hens. Round two over. Sunday evening found us back on the roost side of the field with him and his buddies and girlfriends feeding closer by the minute when out of no where a coyote came busting thru the middle of the flock. Round three over. Gave him a break on Monday. With clear and cool weather this morning we got setup early. When he gobbled the first time he was about 50 yards behind us on the limb, I waited till he hit the ground before calling to him, he would answer but with hens still on the limb he would not leave the woods without them. Suddenly there was a hen in my decoy setup, she went thru them and went right to the gobbler behind us.
Then turned and came right back out with ole mack daddy in tow. At 35 yards I ended the game.

Iowa, 5-12-15, 6:40 am.
Eastern. Shotgun
21 lbs 7 oz.
Beard #1 11 1/2"
Beard #2 7 1/2".
Right spur 1 7/16"
Left spur 1 5/16"
A upgrade for me.
Headed across the river in the morning to get a quick hunt in over in neb. I will be going out to western neb next weekend to finish off my neb tags or tag and to finish my season for 2015.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats Kenny! Awesome bird!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.