Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2015 Turkey Contest
2014 Returning champs The Turkey Killers >

2014 Returning champs The Turkey Killers

Community

2014 Returning champs The Turkey Killers

Old 05-05-2015, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, I was just watching some youtube videos for some ideas to give me an edge on these tough public land birds and saw where Knight & Hale said they don't call until the gobbler hits the ground because calling to a roosted gobbler could cause him to stay on the limb longer waiting for the hen to show up. Didn't know that. Looks like swampbuster and kellyguin follow the similar methods. That makes it sound like you guys listen for them in the morning, if you didn't roost them the night before, and then move in as close as comfortable. That wouldn't have worked for me in this morning's situation as my time was limited and didn't want to get all sweaty before work.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am sorry to hear about your friend Talondale.. One never knows what tomorrow will bring.. Good luck on what hunting time you can get in..

Good luck jepcho,swambuster, camokenny, superstrutter.. Also anyone i may have missed..

The birds here have been acting hard to get.. I have seen 3 different toms as well as 2 jakes.. Most of the answering is coming from the jakes right now.. I was onto a tom yesterday morning and then all of a sudden he turned and went the other way om.. I tried to circle up a head of him and as I did he was still a 100 yards up and I was suddenly busted on that one.. We also have had a few guys practicing their calling just before the season started and really messed things up.. But none the less it has been great to get out there.. We are seeing a lot less birds than last year and the toms appear to be bigger and smarter though. So i will be keeping at them until i can figure one out that is for sure.. Good Luck guys!
Old 05-05-2015, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ohh this is a good one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXPE-GYX3To
Old 05-05-2015, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

A lot of times I dont call to them at all on the roost. It kinda depends on how far I am and where they are roosted, but if I do, its very little. I like to wait till they flydown and gauge what they are wanting to do and where they wanna go. I killed one this spring without ever even touching a call this way. He started pitching down into the field and mustve saw my decoys cuz he turned and landed 30 yards out. Game over before the hunt hardly began.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

The only ones I can find roosting right now is the hens.. I have not found where the toms have been roosting at.. I am sure they are nearby though.. In the morning I am setting out just one hen decoy as I know where one has been feeding.. Hopefully he will be showing up.. I also have saw hens dusting and the like but have no idea where the toms have hid at.. But, it is only going on day 3 of a month long hunt.. I have already noticed that a few have given up already.. Just not seeing the amount of birds we are used to seeing.. Also the grass is just now starting to green up so that should help improve some things..
Old 05-05-2015, 05:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am now post camokenny's birds.. I may have these wrong in part or most of them due to the way my phone saved them..

Nebraska turkey

Missouri Turkey

Again if I have any of these messed up or out of order.. Sorry about that as it is the way my phone handled them.. Nice birds camokenny !!

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 05-05-2015 at 05:19 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well guys I have to get some shut eye as I will be heading back out in the morning.. Good to everyone still out there hunting..
Old 05-05-2015, 05:42 PM
Typical Buck

Good luck to Phil and Talondale, and everyone else who is hunting.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:06 PM
Typical Buck

Nice turkeys Camokenny!
Old 05-06-2015, 05:20 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Talondale
Very informative Talondale! Thanks for sharing!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.