Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2015 Turkey Contest
2014 Returning champs The Turkey Killers >

2014 Returning champs The Turkey Killers

2014 Returning champs The Turkey Killers

Old 05-04-2015, 05:01 PM
Typical Buck

Good luck camokenny if you go hunting in the morning
Old 05-04-2015, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry its taking so long to get the story up here. I've been in the process of getting my parents moved to Florida and myself buying there house here in Oklahoma and getting moved in.

I've only had a total of 4 days in the woods turkey hunting this year. Its been kinda depressing lol. I got out Wednesday morning watched 2 Toms follow a group of hens right out of sight so I figured I'd get set up on them for the evening as I have seen them go back and forth thru the same area the few days I have been out. Wouldn't ya know it they start coming in just like clock work only to have 2 hens come in and usher them the other direction. They ended up roosting about 200 yrds off on private. Not only did they roost over there but while I was paying attention to them 1 came in a to my decoys which I had set behind me to try and prevent them for hangin up. I never got to see him but I could hear him drumming back and forth right behind me. frustrating.... The next morning I decided to go ahead and see if I could call the birds I roosted on over to public but as usual they hit the dirt and went directly away from me. By 8:30 I was ready to give up on that spot so I decided to do a little run and gun action. Drove by several spots I've seen turkeys in before only to have no sign of birds until I decided to take a little hike into one spot when I seen a few tracks leading up a road. After 1/2 mile in and 1/4 mile east I did a little calling. Without any gobbles at all 3 came running in from public. I ducked behind a tree and started working them in. Got them to within 20 yrds of the fence line when they turned tail and ran. Guess the land owner had been watching and decided to scare them back to his property. He came by like Mario Andretti on his ATV and chased them away. Dejected I decided to give one more spot a chance before heading home. I was a place I camped a few years back and remember hearing a gobble while getting the tent set up. I hopped out of the truck and headed west about 100 yrds, made one rap on the box call and had a gobble off to my east. I hightailed it back by the truck and across the parking lot when he gobbled again. This time he was right on me. I ducked to the nearest tree, thru my gloves and headcover on and got set up. Then "silence". After about 10 min I gave the box call another hit and he started gobbling again, this time much further out. The only thing I can think is he saw me set up. But my luck was changing as a few min later he started gobbling like every 30 sec and with each one he was closer. Within just as few min there he was and I pulled the trigger. I took my biggest bird to date just 30 yrds from the truck.

Good luck to all that are still out. Looks like my season will be over for this year.
Attached Thumbnails 2014 Returning champs The Turkey Killers-2015-05-04-22.36.14.jpg  

Last edited by kellyguinn; 05-04-2015 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:02 AM
Typical Buck

Nice story kellyguinn. Sorry you were not able to hunt much this year. That was a heck of a bird. Congrats
Old 05-05-2015, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, wouldn't you know it, I snuck in early this morning and heard so many hoot owls I thought it had to be hunters but there were no other cars in the area. At 5:43 heard a gobble and it was on the next ridge over with a DEEP and STEEP ravine between us. Since I was going into work after this I wasn't about to start that adventure. I did some light calling and he gobbled quite a bit but by 6:30 he was on the ground and gobbling going the other way. Also sat up behind my house for an hour last night but heard nothing.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:27 AM
Typical Buck

Keep at it Talondale! Good luck with your hunting!
Old 05-05-2015, 10:28 AM
Typical Buck

Good luck to everyone else out there hunting.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a question for you guys to discuss:

What's your sequence of calls when you first get setup? First light and new location after moving during the day?
Old 05-05-2015, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

I'm not an expert by any means but while they are on the roost I start off with some soft yelps just to get their attention. Once it sounds like they turned my way I shut up till after they fly down. Once down I'll throw some purrs. Most of the birds I've taken first thing in the morning was cause I called the hen in and the tom followed. I seem to have better luck mid day by going to several areas and wearing out the boot leather. I try to locate with a crow call but if nothing answers I throw a few loud yelps out then wait 15 min or so. If I don't see one or I get no response I'm off to the next area. Most of the time out on public here once I locate one and get their attention I'll try not to call too much so that he has to seach me out.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:30 AM
Typical Buck

I usually do not make the first call until I am within 100-150 yards of a turkey( after fly down) I will start off with a soft cluck and purr. If he doesn't answer me then I will increase the volume. If nothing than I will yelp and cutt. If I got a turkey that is gobbling at my calls but won't come I will use a slate and mouth calls at the same time, or have one call overlap the other. If I am cold calling trying to strike a bird I will walk through the woods and stop and scratch the leaves with my boot every ten or fifteen yards. Then mostly cluck and purr. Yelp and cutt occasionally.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:35 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with what kellyguinn said, and I do it quite often once he starts coming and is gobbling I give him the silent treatment and play hard to get. However there has been circumstances where I would basically have to call them in every step of the way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.