HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   2015 Turkey Contest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2015-turkey-contest-144/)
-   -   2014 Returning champs The Turkey Killers (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2015-turkey-contest/396962-2014-returning-champs-turkey-killers.html)

Phil from Maine 03-29-2015 09:32 AM

That is great and hopefully they will co-operate when you are out hunting for them.. Good luck and we all hope the both of you have success. this year..

swampbuster 03-29-2015 10:28 AM

Someone was also driving up and down the road educating turkeys. I could hear them call on a box call and then get in the truck and drive down the road. Two weeks before youth season.

Phil from Maine 03-29-2015 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by swampbuster (Post 4191969)
Someone was also driving up and down the road educating turkeys. I could hear them call on a box call and then get in the truck and drive down the road. Two weeks before youth season.

That is sad news and makes a lot harder for a youth to get to see a bird.. It still can be done but with a whole lot of waiting.. One of my areas they do the same thing each year.. I have still gotten birds out of it. Unfortunately it makes for a lot less calling and a lot longer waiting as the birds come in very nervously.. It is hard to understand why some people will keep doing this every year..

jepcho 03-29-2015 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine (Post 4191978)
That is sad news and makes a lot harder for a youth to get to see a bird.. It still can be done but with a whole lot of waiting.. One of my areas they do the same thing each year.. I have still gotten birds out of it. Unfortunately it makes for a lot less calling and a lot longer waiting as the birds come in very nervously.. It is hard to understand why some people will keep doing this every year..

A lot of guys just dont get what turkey hunting is all about. They see the videos, which only show the parts we all love which is the action, but they dont see the fact that turkeys are not gobbling a heck of a lot more than they are gobbling. It can be very frustrating.

bigc870 03-30-2015 03:21 AM

Two of my friends from Arkansas went down to Mississippi for a week and they only heard 2 birds. One of the guys will walk miles and miles in the woods and for him not to see but 3 hens is very unusual he is a turkey killing machine. They hunted up and down Mississippi and everyone they talked to said the turkeys where not doing anything.

They also done some run and gun and he said all they done was waste gas. They tried to sit and stay where they seen fresh turkey sign and nothing. They where hunting on public ground.

3 weeks and counting for MO opener!!!!! I can't wait!!!!

Hope everyone on our team that is out hunting is having a good time and having a safe hunt to me that is the main 2 things about hunting anything, yes we all would love to harvest a nice Tom but it don't always work out but if you had fun then it was a successful hunt in my book!! Everyone be SAFE out there!!

swampbuster 03-30-2015 04:30 PM

Went out looking around one of my private property's that I have permission to hunt, and did not see any fresh turkey sign. I know that they are somewhat close b/c u heard the first gobble of the season not to far from there. Hope they show up

Phil from Maine 03-31-2015 05:17 AM

I hunt private land here that is open to the public.. It is owned by the paper companies and the public gets to hunt it.. Which makes it about the same thing as public land as most the land here is privately owned.. I know what they mean bigc870 as well as swampbuster.. People going around testing their calls out or antis trying to make sure the seccess rate is cut down.. I can not say for exactly who is doing what sometimes.. Although I know a few hunters that will travel threw there testing their calling skills out.. It all makes for a hard hunt..

Once again I have the first full week of our season as a vacation week but I have to wait until May before I can hunt.. I will be hunting in one of those tough hunting areas myself.. I have had some great luck hunting them even when I end up discouraged at times.. It does not stop me from enjoying my time away from it all.. Good luck everyone, enjoy your hunting, and most importantly stay safe..

Also the missing 2 have until tomorrow to sign back on.. If not they will be getting replaced i believe..

Talondale 03-31-2015 06:40 AM

Ok, quick question: This past fall they did some HEAVY clear cutting of the property where I hunt. Probably 200 acres. Mostly around the outer perimeter of the property. Would you setup on a long fescue/clover field where I traditionally setup, which is in the center of the property with some adjoining pines (often used as roosts) or move over a couple of hundred yards and setup on a high spot in the cut-over where visibility is higher? I'm leaning towards the old tried and true spot but keeping my eye/ears on the cut-over to see if they are utilizing that. There's a small field adjacent to the cut-over and they would often have a strut zone/dust bowl on the edge that is now next to the cut-over. All the other 3 sides are still as they had been. Just not sure how that huge opening is going to impact their movement. I think they'd like the opening for security and bugs but would still prefer the hayfield for security and cover. Thoughts?

swampbuster 03-31-2015 08:14 AM

Stopped by the national Forrest this morning. First stop I heard two different turkeys gobbling from the roost. Second stop I heard three different turkeys, one was by himself and two were together. Third stop I could hear one way off in the distance gobbling. Now if I could only keep every other hunter out of the national forest I would have a good chance at killing some of those turkeys.

swampbuster 03-31-2015 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Talondale (Post 4192192)
Ok, quick question: This past fall they did some HEAVY clear cutting of the property where I hunt. Probably 200 acres. Mostly around the outer perimeter of the property. Would you setup on a long fescue/clover field where I traditionally setup, which is in the center of the property with some adjoining pines (often used as roosts) or move over a couple of hundred yards and setup on a high spot in the cut-over where visibility is higher? I'm leaning towards the old tried and true spot but keeping my eye/ears on the cut-over to see if they are utilizing that. There's a small field adjacent to the cut-over and they would often have a strut zone/dust bowl on the edge that is now next to the cut-over. All the other 3 sides are still as they had been. Just not sure how that huge opening is going to impact their movement. I think they'd like the opening for security and bugs but would still prefer the hayfield for security and cover. Thoughts?

If I was unable to scout it out one morning before the opener I would stick with the tried and true. Since 200yds is all that separates the two spots should be easy to reposition if need be.