HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   2015 Turkey Contest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2015-turkey-contest-144/)
-   -   2014 Returning champs The Turkey Killers (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2015-turkey-contest/396962-2014-returning-champs-turkey-killers.html)

swampbuster 03-28-2015 07:40 AM

When does your season start Jepcho?

jepcho 03-28-2015 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by swampbuster (Post 4191794)
When does your season start Jepcho?

Well, I'll be taking my little brother youth season which starts next weekend on the 4th. Then my dad is hunting Iowa's 1st season, opening April 13th and I'll be kinda guiding/filming for both of them on their hunts. But the first chance I think I'm going to get to carry a gun myself will be April 19th in Nebraska. Here in Iowa I'll probably just hunt 4th season which starts April 29th.

swampbuster 03-28-2015 09:11 AM

Our youth season starts April 11th. My 8yr old daughter wants to go. So I am looking forward to taking her.

jepcho 03-28-2015 10:07 AM

I cant wait till my kids are old enough to take. My oldest is my 8yo step daughter who I am going to take on a deer hunt this fall. Maybe next year for turkey, just hasn't had enough shooting practice yet.

You're in Arkansas I see, it's weird how our season is a week or so earlier than yours. I'm up in Northern Iowa and its been lows in the 20's all week. Actually had snow earlier this week.

swampbuster 03-28-2015 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by jepcho (Post 4191830)
I cant wait till my kids are old enough to take. My oldest is my 8yo step daughter who I am going to take on a deer hunt this fall. Maybe next year for turkey, just hasn't had enough shooting practice yet.

You're in Arkansas I see, it's weird how our season is a week or so earlier than yours. I'm up in Northern Iowa and its been lows in the 20's all week. Actually had snow earlier this week.

For a "southern" state we do have a late start. Our turkey numbers have been down for a long time. We used to start first of April or even late March and run for a month or so. That was before I started turkey hunting. Now our season is only two weeks. I talked to our state biologist and he said that is why our turkey population is the way it is, and he doesn't see our season dates changing any time soon.

jepcho 03-28-2015 04:09 PM

I see. I would've never guessed the numbers being low there. It seem like most of your border states are loaded with turkeys.

swampbuster 03-28-2015 05:29 PM

Tomorrow morning my daughter and I are going to go out and listen for turkeys. It will be our first time out listening for turkeys. I am really looking forward to spending time with her in the woods. It is suppose to be a beautiful sunny morning. Hopefully the birds will be talking.

Phil from Maine 03-29-2015 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by swampbuster (Post 4191874)
Tomorrow morning my daughter and I are going to go out and listen for turkeys. It will be our first time out listening for turkeys. I am really looking forward to spending time with her in the woods. It is suppose to be a beautiful sunny morning. Hopefully the birds will be talking.

Enjoy your time with your daughter.. There is nothing like seeing the excitment on the young one's faces..

swampbuster 03-29-2015 07:21 AM

My daughter and I had a great time together in Gods creation this morning. We heard two different turkeys gobbling. Saw three hens and three deer. She would smile when we would hear those turkeys gobbling. Great morning in Gods creation with my daughter. I enjoyed teaching her woodsmanship. She said she had fun and is ready to go hunting. I can't wait until youth season starts.

jepcho 03-29-2015 09:03 AM

Thats great! Glad you had a good time and good luck on your hunt!