HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   2015 Turkey Contest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2015-turkey-contest-144/)
-   -   2014 Returning champs The Turkey Killers (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2015-turkey-contest/396962-2014-returning-champs-turkey-killers.html)

swampbuster 03-26-2015 04:01 PM

Well guys sorry to report that I had to come home empty handed. Hunted hard all day Tuesday walked 10 miles(according to my GPS). Didn't hear,see anything. Wednesday got a turkey to shock gobble twice around 7:30am. Set up on him and called..... Nothing. Hunted this morning and more of the same. Lots of nothing. Sorry guys I was hoping to put us on the board. Didn't know for sure if I would kill one, but I thought for sure that I would at least hear turkeys gobbling.

jepcho 03-26-2015 04:07 PM

Did you say you were hunting public land?

Phil from Maine 03-26-2015 04:07 PM

Thanks for reporting back to us as I know we all have been wondering.. Did you get to enjoy your hunting out there? I willing to guess you did.. Sometimes the birds will play hard to get. Last year I had hardly a gobble all season but the birds were there.. Patient was the key for me.. I once got up and started to get out of my blind after 2 hours of nothing and all of a sudden a tom showed up un announced.. Just started wandering down to where I was calling from..
Anyways Sorry you did not get anything and hopefully next time out will be better..

swampbuster 03-27-2015 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by jepcho (Post 4191530)
Did you say you were hunting public land?

Yes, I hunted WMA's and national Forrest. Didn't see another hunter, only seen a few trucks parked off the road. There was some very pretty hardwood hollers. enjoyed hunting a new state and new places.

Talondale 03-27-2015 01:03 PM

Saw two more strutting toms in a field in the rain while driving around for work. It's warming up (only figuratively, going down to 20 tonight).

jepcho 03-27-2015 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by swampbuster (Post 4191594)
Yes, I hunted WMA's and national Forrest. Didn't see another hunter, only seen a few trucks parked off the road. There was some very pretty hardwood hollers. enjoyed hunting a new state and new places.

Glad you had a good time. At least you got to get out there. I've always wanted to hunt Alabama and figured I'd go public if I ever go. Maybe someday.. Are you gonna get a chance to get down there again this spring?

Btw, spotted a flock of about 25 birds today. There was one dominate strutter chasing jakes off like crazy! It was awesome to see! Tells me its about time for season to kick off!!

swampbuster 03-27-2015 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by jepcho (Post 4191699)
Glad you had a good time. At least you got to get out there. I've always wanted to hunt Alabama and figured I'd go public if I ever go. Maybe someday.. Are you gonna get a chance to get down there again this spring?

Btw, spotted a flock of about 25 birds today. There was one dominate strutter chasing jakes off like crazy! It was awesome to see! Tells me its about time for season to kick off!!

No wont be heading back this spring, maybe in a year or so. I would really like to try and head back out west next year. Hunt the black hills and hunt Nebraska again.

Phil from Maine 03-27-2015 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Talondale (Post 4191658)
Saw two more strutting toms in a field in the rain while driving around for work. It's warming up (only figuratively, going down to 20 tonight).

I am glad to hear you are seeing some.. It is warming up here as well. This week during the day anyways the temps are expected to be in the 40s all next week.. It is about time. Also while I have not seen any toms yet they are seeing them in the Bangor area strutting and all. I am hearing some good reports from that place which is around a 2 hour drive for me. If things do not pick up here by May I may have to take the drive.. I will see what I can do that is for sure..

swampbuster 03-28-2015 06:07 AM

Stopped by the national Forrest on my way to work this morning, and as soon as I got out of the truck I heard one gobble. He gobbled a few times on his own, and shock gobbled at my owl hoots.

Phil from Maine 03-28-2015 06:59 AM

I hope that they continue to do so when you are hunting them there swampbuster..