HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   2015 HNI Deer Bowhunting Contest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2015-hni-deer-bowhunting-contest-164/)
-   -   Team pass thru - 3 time champions (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2015-hni-deer-bowhunting-contest/401300-team-pass-thru-3-time-champions.html)

On_Point 09-08-2015 03:35 PM

Team pass thru - 3 time champions

2012-2013, 2013-2014, 2014-2015 HNI BOWHUNTING CHAMPIONS

TEAM ROSTER

On_Point - Jason
Team Captain - Central Illinois -

Jemrami9 - Jesse
- S.W Wisconsin -

Buck - 81 1/8

Mottz - Ryan
- Nebraska -

Buck - 102 4/8
Doe - 25

ArkansasMountainMan - Afton
- Arkansas -

RisnerPSE - Ryan
- Ohio -

Doe - 25 points

SDhunter11 - Marty
- NW South Dakota -

Kellyguinn - Kelly
- Oklahoma -

Buck - 102 6/8

Outdoorcountry - Jason
-New York -

Buck - 90 3/8

Doe - 25 points

dmax4me - Scott
- S.C PA -

Buck - 116 4/8

Bowman4440 - Jared
- S. NJ -

Total Team Score
8 Kills - 568 2/8 points - Ranking - 1 0f 6

On_Point 09-08-2015 03:40 PM

Yall ready to win this thing 4 years straight? :)

Mottz 09-09-2015 06:54 PM

Going to do my best for a better season than last year. I didn't get out this last weekend like I was planning on because 90 plus degrees makes it tough to think deer hunting. Plus the winds were "iffy" so I decided to not pressure them and wait til this weekend. 70 degrees sounds a lot better. Do have a few decent bucks on earlier cam pics so I hope I can catch them up and around.

On_Point 10-03-2015 04:53 AM

Team scorecard updated... way to go Jason, nicely done brother.

Mottz 10-03-2015 07:55 PM

Great job Jason! My deer woods have been unproductive so far.

RisnerPSE 10-10-2015 06:35 PM

Another doe for team pass thru. I made a poor low shot. She hunched up and walked off. I backed for for 10 hours came back jumped her in the corn field then found her laying in the woods. Got lucky and she let me get close enough to put another arrow in her. It was a fun day.
Lets win this again guys.

Outdoorcountry 10-11-2015 04:16 AM

Awesome Ryan!

Well boys, my bad luck streak with big bucks hit me again this year all ready. Wednesday morning I had a shooter approach my stand from my right. I put my pin behind his shoulder as he was directly broadside, and released. He jumped about 5 yards to my left and stood there so I knocked another arrow and put a 2nd one in him. He ran north in the hedgrow my stand is in, crossed railroad tracks, crossed the corner of a bean field, hit a hedgerow and ran west toward the highway. I waited a 1/2 hr before getting down to trail him. I lost the blood trail 50 yards from the road. I searched for 6 hours with no sign of him. There is a standing corn field across the road to the south so he may have gotten in it but I walked rows without a sign of fresh tracks. Crazy! There is a guy who posted a a big buck to a local bragging board the same day and there are rumors floating around that he found it next to the road. I really hope that isn't true but if it is, that really sucks.
" />
" />
" />
" />

" />
" />

On_Point 10-11-2015 07:16 AM

Way to go Risner, we might indeed win this thing again. Keep up the great work brother.

On_Point 10-11-2015 07:17 AM

Well heck Jason, I guess ya have to take the good with the bad buddy. Better luck next time.

On_Point 10-11-2015 07:33 AM

We're taking the lead early with 3 kills already. Way to go fellas, lets keep this momentum going & start knocking down some monster bucks. :party0005:

Outdoorcountry 10-11-2015 11:24 AM

Way to go Kelly!

Mottz 10-11-2015 04:54 PM

Great job fellas!! My sit this weekend yielded no sightings of deer at all. Crops are coming out fast though!

On_Point 10-12-2015 09:54 AM

I still havent been out yet but there's a nice cold front moving through Illinois this week with predicted temps in the 30s during the morning hours, so Ill be in the woods thursday, friday & saturday trying to knock down an old buck.

kellyguinn 10-19-2015 06:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the score from the little buck. Hope I can upgrade it a little before too long. 102 6/8

jemrami9 10-25-2015 08:20 AM

Awesome! Nice work!!

On_Point 10-30-2015 06:36 PM

Scorecard updated with 4 kills totaling 243 1/8 points on the board. Keep up the fine work fellas.

Outdoorcountry 11-01-2015 02:45 AM

it's time to hunt!

I had 9 bucks fighting over a hot doe yesterday! Call in sick to work tomorrow and hit the stand!

On_Point 11-01-2015 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Outdoorcountry (Post 4226077)
I had 9 bucks fighting over a hot doe yesterday! Call in sick to work tomorrow and hit the stand!

Its finally heating up & time to get serious. I have plans to get at it wed, thurs, fri & sat of this week with some great conditions in the forecast. Good luck out there!

kellyguinn 11-02-2015 03:54 AM

Good luck Fellas!! The deer population is way down because of the drought we have been under the last 4 to 5 years. Didn't see a thing this weekend and didn't see and rubs or scrapes either. Plenty of rain this year but it will take a few years to recover. I'll try again in a few weeks but cant promise anything. Might have to try and hook up one of the neighboring states if I can ever get time.

On_Point 11-05-2015 03:32 PM

The rut is on here in Illinois & Im headed out in the morning on a 3 day backcountry camping/hunting trip. Talk to yall in a few days, happy hunting this weekend, stay safe & good luck.

Mottz 11-07-2015 12:42 PM

I completely whiffed it on a doe this morning. (Finally getting some deer though.) Anyway, I had a doe come in, I drew on her and she just would not get into a clearing, even though she was 5 yards from my stand. She jumped the fence and joined another doe in the field and slowly walked away. I was just standing shaking my head in disbelief figuring this was my luck and I turned my head and there was another doe looking at me at 15 yards. I froze, and she calmly put her head down. I swung around and she lifted her head quick, I released and it shaved a little hair off her back. I rushed it too much. But in all my mis- fortune, I do have Monday and Tuesday off, a few good bucks running around and hopefully some deer love is in the air!

Outdoorcountry 11-08-2015 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Mottz (Post 4227127)
I completely whiffed it on a doe this morning. (Finally getting some deer though.) Anyway, I had a doe come in, I drew on her and she just would not get into a clearing, even though she was 5 yards from my stand. She jumped the fence and joined another doe in the field and slowly walked away. I was just standing shaking my head in disbelief figuring this was my luck and I turned my head and there was another doe looking at me at 15 yards. I froze, and she calmly put her head down. I swung around and she lifted her head quick, I released and it shaved a little hair off her back. I rushed it too much. But in all my mis- fortune, I do have Monday and Tuesday off, a few good bucks running around and hopefully some deer love is in the air!

I think we've all been there (I know I have!). Throw some field tips on those arrows, concentrate on your anchor, and throw a couple rounds at the target. It helps to boost your confidence level and get yourself back into the methodical routine of the shot.

kellyguinn 11-09-2015 03:53 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Finally got a shooter showing up and its only 50 yrds from my back porch. I hunted back there all weekend and only seen 2 spikes and a doe with yearling. Doesn't seem to be much rut activity going up back there though. I'll check the cameras more often and get back after him if he shows up. I'll be headed back out to the public I hunt on Thursday. I picked up a millennium t100 tripod to carry back into a few of my spots. the grass is too high to see over and not very many trees to put a stand in. Hopefully this will up my odds a little.

RisnerPSE 11-09-2015 04:10 PM

Sorry i haven't posted in awhile but been busy getting ready for this hunt my name got drawn for. The hunt started Saturday and I have seen a ton of deer. The problem is it is an earn a buck hunt and of course i had a 130 to 140 get to 30 yards and i hadn't shot a doe yet. I have seen about 8 or 9 different bucks in about 40 deer. Its been alot of fun. Well i finally got me a doe this morning and i have 2 more days to hunt. Hopefully i can close the door on a nice one.

jemrami9 11-09-2015 04:46 PM

Greetings gang! Jesse checking back in once again. Good news, buck down! Nothing huge but we'll get at least a hundred points for it.... Pictures coming soon. :)

Mottz 11-09-2015 04:56 PM

Great job guys, can't wait to see the pics! I had an eventful morning but no deer. Had a decoy out and I had 2 does come into it. I was drawn back and ready to go when 2 smaller bucks came in and started chasing them around. Figured for sure a bigger buck had to be near so I didn't let an arrow fly. Not to happen that way. Deer were constantly in the field running around and I had 5 different bucks sniffin my decoy. But not one of them was bigger than my decoy. Then about 11 am someone flipped a switch and everything stopped. Going to try a different area tomorrow and I hope something is going to hit the ground. I'm due for a little deer success:deer:

On_Point 11-10-2015 07:23 AM

Great job gentlemen, keep up the fine work. We're showing them why we've won this thing 3 years straight & we're in line to do it again. Keep up the momentum.

Mottz 11-10-2015 04:08 PM

Spent all day in the woods and had 1 spike buck staring at me for 5 min 10 yards from my stand. Other than that, I didn't see a deer! My luck just keeps getting better and better!

RisnerPSE 11-11-2015 05:09 PM

Well guys what a fun last 5 days i just had. I seen over 20 different bucks and had close encounters with one buck about 140 and another about 160. The 140 i had at about 35 yards but couldn't shoot because i didn't harvest a doe yet. The 160 buck i had at 10 yards the problem was he came in behind me and i didn't know he was there until he already spotted me. I still have some time in this section. I can hunt this Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Then we have this property again during Christmas time. I am pumped with the chance to harvest a nice buck. The rumor is there are 2 bucks between 180 and 200 on this property. Only time will tell guys. I't going big or going home this year. I'm looking for 150 or above so if i don't get a buck then i apologize. I have a video of a good buck i will try to post on our facebook page.

Outdoorcountry 11-12-2015 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by RisnerPSE (Post 4227710)
Well guys what a fun last 5 days i just had. I seen over 20 different bucks and had close encounters with one buck about 140 and another about 160. The 140 i had at about 35 yards but couldn't shoot because i didn't harvest a doe yet. The 160 buck i had at 10 yards the problem was he came in behind me and i didn't know he was there until he already spotted me. I still have some time in this section. I can hunt this Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Then we have this property again during Christmas time. I am pumped with the chance to harvest a nice buck. The rumor is there are 2 bucks between 180 and 200 on this property. Only time will tell guys. I't going big or going home this year. I'm looking for 150 or above so if i don't get a buck then i apologize. I have a video of a good buck i will try to post on our facebook page.

I'm jealous! Need a hunting partner?:

Mottz 11-15-2015 10:39 AM

Well guys, you in for a crazy story?? Yesterday was the opener for rifle so I carried the 30.06 for the long shots and bow into the stand. First light I had a really nice 4x4 sneak in on me. I had the bow in hand and he got to about 10 yards of me but the only open window he gave me was a straight on shot. I hoped he would come more forward but he sniffed a little and turned around and walked back the way he came. Hearing tons of shooting close and me not seeing a thing I figured my day was going to go to hell quick. I sat and sat and then about 9:50(I did look at my watch out of curiosity) with the wind blowing a really good direction, I decided to light up a cigarette. Don't criticize me just yet.:D Got into about 2 puffs of it when I hear footsteps. Turn around and a doe is 20 yards away looking behind her. I can see a rack running wild in the trees. I spit in my glove and put my smoke out, grabbed the bow and let her walk by. He come tromping in and I put the rage to him. Tried to let the heart slow down a tad but I turned and seen the doe standing broadside 15 yards from me. I hung the bow up, grabbed the rifle, did a quick swing and boom! Thought to myself, that was awesome! But it gets better. I go to hang the rifle up and here comes another doe walking in so I nocked up another arrow. She hung in the cover for a little bit and made her way out and she took another rage. In the matter of 5 minutes I had 3 permits filled. Messed up by not waiting for a buck on my rifle but this will always be a cool hunt to remember!!! And so my deer seasons are over!

Doe-25 points
Buck ( I used boone calc from rifle contest rules)

tip to tip 11 1/4
greatest spread- 16 5/8
inside spread- 14 3/4

G1 3 5/8 3 3/4
G2 7 1/2 6
G3 5 1/2 4 7/8

Main Beam 17 16 7/8

Circumference
3 7/8 3 5/8
3 5/8 3 3/8
3 3
2 1/2 2 1/2

TOTAL 102 4/8

kellyguinn 11-16-2015 04:00 AM

Congrats Mottz. Sounds like a heck of a hunt (and work after ;) )

I went out from Thurs morning till Sunday evening and only seen a 6 doe and 3 fork horns. Had to deal with the quail hunters on Sat and Sun though. Had several groups of them that give the rest bad names. They have no respect for deer hunters. No use ranting now lol. The rut seems to still be in the future here. Just started seeing a few rubs and scrapes but with the rifle season starting here on Sat it may be kind of hard to get an upgrade. I have that nice one out by the house but he is still just coming around at night. Anyway I'll be back out at the public on Friday evening or Sat morning. Good luck

Outdoorcountry 11-16-2015 06:40 AM

Right on Ryan!!!

That's a crazy story! You need to take some pics and throw 'em in a scrap book because you'll be sharing that one for years to come!

On_Point 11-16-2015 03:29 PM

OUTSTANDING!!! And thats how a champion gets it done Ryan!:party0005:

On_Point 11-16-2015 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by jemrami9 (Post 4227372)
Greetings gang! Jesse checking back in once again. Good news, buck down! Nothing huge but we'll get at least a hundred points for it.... Pictures coming soon. :)

Nice job brother, now lets get him entered on the scorecard.

RisnerPSE 11-16-2015 04:24 PM

Congrats Mottz thats how you do it. Glad to see someone is having some success.
I on the other hand continue to be a disappointment. Saturday morning i had a dandy come in following a doe. He proceeded to slowly walk to 15 yards and stop. I came to full draw and waited for him to move just a little more and never did. Instead of letting down i crouched down to get a clear shot and shot right under him. Yes at 15 yards. I'm guessing when i crouched down i changed my arm angle or something that through my shot off. It has been a pretty disappointing year for me because of my own mistakes. I think i have the bowhunting equivalent to the shanks. I have seen 3 bucks over 140 on this odnr hunt and the one i missed was 150 or better. Some how i have to stay positive because we have this hunt again for 2 more weeks the last two weeks in December. I have some awesome video footage of a nice buck breeding a doe and chasing other bucks off. That was the most fun i've ever had while sitting on stand. All of this has been good learning experience for me and all i can do is get better from here.

jemrami9 11-17-2015 04:10 PM

Good work guys! Haven't forgotten, pics and score coming shortly. Issues wit jets at work have had me busy since Saturday yuk!!!

kellyguinn 11-18-2015 04:38 AM

Anyone heard from Afton aka (ArkansasMountainMan)

Mottz 11-22-2015 08:45 AM

Got mine entered on the scorecard. Jesse, you need to get the buck posted up here. I want to see that guy. Ryan, I feel your pain because I normally have the crappiest luck. But in my mindset, it can all change in 1 minute and all the mess-ups have to pay off for some reason. At least that's what I tell myself! We are doing pretty good but we need more points up there. Need to hear from our missing team members. Hope everything is alright with them!

jemrami9 11-29-2015 09:00 AM

Bow deer finally. Sorry for the delay, gun season in Wisconsin. Kept me busy but did well there too! Just an 8 pointer but decent enough for the team. Always nice to cash in and help the cause! Score will be posted later today :)