Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2014 Turkey Contest
Team 6* ~ Long Spur Legion >

Team 6* ~ Long Spur Legion

Community

Team 6* ~ Long Spur Legion

Old 03-10-2014, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

counted 70+ birds in a single flock yesterday........ on PUBLIC land !!

I'm taking my 11 yr old daughter on Apr 1st, then my wife on the 9th, then... stand back!

I smell a trophy for the Long Spur Legion team !

BDB
Old 03-11-2014, 05:05 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by BIG DONNIE BRASCO
counted 70+ birds in a single flock yesterday........ on PUBLIC land !!

I'm taking my 11 yr old daughter on Apr 1st, then my wife on the 9th, then... stand back!

I smell a trophy for the Long Spur Legion team !

BDB
Thats awesome. I spotted 29 on Saturday and thought that was alot, but 70+... Thats insane. Happy Hunting my friend.

Also, how did you get your wife envolved? I'm trying to talk my wife into it, but no such luck. Any pointers?
Old 03-11-2014, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mottz
Call me an idiot superstrutter, but I just realized we are on the same rifle contest team I haven't looked at that contest for quite awhile because there is no action on there. Maybe I need to pay a little more attention!
Not only were we on the same team, I believe we won the contest. Let's do the same in the turkey contest.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:09 AM
Fork Horn

After many years, this is her FIRST year ever wanting to be involved.

I am a strict, lean-and-mean, sit on the ground kind of turkey chaser, but for the wife I am setting up a blind. She is not hunting, just watching the process. I think she just finally realized how passionate I am about turkey hunting and decided to see what it's all about..... I'll have her shooting a bird by next year!

As for the 70+ birds, that is a first for me! I have never seen more than 20-30 in a single flock before now.

Originally Posted by JSwafford1121
Thats awesome. I spotted 29 on Saturday and thought that was alot, but 70+... Thats insane. Happy Hunting my friend.

Also, how did you get your wife envolved? I'm trying to talk my wife into it, but no such luck. Any pointers?
Old 03-11-2014, 06:12 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

I see a few of you guys are from down south. I just got back from two work stints down on the gulf, first in Mississippi, and the second in Alabama. Was a nice break as we have been buried in quite a bit of snow this year up here in Chicago area. I did Mardis Gras in Mobile, and went snapper fishing out of Orange Beach. Caught biggest snapper on our party boat at 14.4#. Water was like glass. 0 mph wind.

I'm back home now, but driving down Monday to my public draw turkey hunting area near St. Louis to work for a week. Will get to scout this new area where I drew 2 tags April 7-11.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:24 AM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

Going to be almost 80 today and snow tomorrow. You have
to love the weather in MO.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ten days and counting! DTC, look at post #49 page 5. I was just wondering where you were hunting in Texas.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:26 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DTC
Going to be almost 80 today and snow tomorrow. You have
to love the weather in MO.
Ya I saw that yesterday when I was putting my travel itinerary together. But it looks great for next week when I'll be outside inspecting facilities. Sunny & 50's.

I'll be hunting Chouteau Island just NE of St. Louis. Been warned of past criminal activity there. But at least I'll have a shotgun in April.

Last edited by Zim; 03-12-2014 at 06:29 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:31 PM
Typical Buck

Heading out this friday afternoon to see if I can roost a bird for Saturday's opener. I'll keep you guys informed.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:36 PM
Typical Buck

here's a pic of one of my favorite bird hunts a couple of years ago...

This guys was with his ladies in a cut cotton field and I busted the flock up. Set up back in the spot where I broke them up and an hour later, this guy came in to see if his girls were ready to finish their dance. It was a great hunt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.