Community

Team 4* ~Turkaholics

Old 03-15-2014, 12:54 PM
Typical Buck

Well.....I stunk it up. This was the first time I ever set foot on this WMA. I went in totally blind. I set down waiting for sunrise on a large poplar tree and napped for 30 minutes or so. At first light some hens started chattering about 80 yards below me. 3-4 toms sounded off up and down the hollow but none real close. I answered the hens and got a tom to answer about 100-120 yards slightly to my left. At this point I was afraid to move. The tree I was on was just for sleeping and listening...lol. The tom gobbled 2 times and flew down. Within 10 minutes he is coming right to me. I adjusted when he went behind a tree expecting him to continue on his path straight to me. Instead he stayed left and went behind a little rise. I twisted as much as I could waiting for him to reappear. When he did he was about 30 yards up the road I walked in on. I had to readjust again with nothing between me and him. I committed a cardinal sin and didn't shoulder my gun. Thought I could get away with it. The gun was actually on my bicep because I was twisted so far around. I have a Burris Speed Bead on my gun and had it on him but my cramped, awkward position caused me to shoot low. I hit him with a load of Nitros #7's. I really wish I had the 4's,5's,7's load in instead. He did a funny little flop turn and caught one more load as he ran up the hill. All this happened at 6:55 am in an area that I have never set foot on in my life. Kinda sickened.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:44 PM
Fork Horn

[QUOTE=bald9eagle;4128982]Well.....I stunk it up. This was the first time I ever set foot on this WMA. I went in totally blind. I set down waiting for sunrise on a large poplar tree and napped for 30 minutes or so. At first light some hens started chattering about 80 yards below me. 3-4 toms sounded off up and down the hollow but none real close. I answered the hens and got a tom to answer about 100-120 yards slightly to my left. At this point I was afraid to move. The tree I was on was just for sleeping and listening...lol. The tom gobbled 2 times and flew down. Within 10 minutes he is coming right to me. I adjusted when he went behind a tree expecting him to continue on his path straight to me. Instead he stayed left and went behind a little rise. I twisted as much as I could waiting for him to reappear. When he did he was about 30 yards up the road I walked in on. I had to readjust again with nothing between me and him. I committed a cardinal sin and didn't shoulder my gun. Thought I could get away with it. The gun was actually on my bicep because I was twisted so far around. I have a Burris Speed Bead on my gun and had it on him but my cramped, awkward position caused me to shoot low. I hit him with a load of Nitros #7's. I really wish I had the 4's,5's,7's load in instead. He did a funny little flop turn and caught one more load as he ran up the hill. All this happened at 6:55 am in an area that I have never set foot on in my life. Kinda sickened.[/QUOTE

man that really does stink at least you got to shoot i guess..last season i called in a gobbler and he was comeing to me and then all of a suden another hunter shot out from under me
Old 03-15-2014, 05:56 PM
j76
Typical Buck

Bummer deal Baldeagle. I made a bad hit on one last yr and he got away, I feel your pain! I'm sure you'll make up for it tho, keep after em! Good luck!
Old 03-16-2014, 05:17 AM
Typical Buck

man that stinks, at least theres still a lot of season left
Old 03-16-2014, 04:01 PM
Typical Buck

Just a little under a month before our season opens here in KY. Went yesterday while it was in the 60's and sunny and checked a coupld of fields for sign. Returned this morning to listen and stuff, right before day break wind picked up to like 20 mph and rain. Now it is snow and has been for almost an hour. Keeping my winter hunting clothes in the house a little longer might need them come April. Good Hunting.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:57 AM
Typical Buck

we had another snowstorm come through this weekend I have started to see a few more gobblers here and there the last couple days. just a hair over 3 weeks here in sw mo.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:07 PM
Typical Buck

I got some great scouting pics post soon
Old 03-19-2014, 06:27 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Treebeard
I got some great scouting pics post soon
dang i wish i had some turkeys located i have been scouting but all i find are a few feathers here and there it sucks..hopin they make a move soon
Old 03-19-2014, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

gun870guy should be checking in soon.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:43 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Arrowmaster
gun870guy should be checking in soon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.