Team 4* ~Turkaholics

Old 04-11-2014, 02:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default Not my best, but my best so far this year, one for Team 4!

After 3 wks of fighting a flooding river and hens, finally got one for team 4.

Weight: 17.5
both spurs: 1/2 inch
beard: 9 inches

I don't know how to post pics and I haven't tried to score it, so someone will have to do it. I must admit, I'm computer stupid.
dog1
'
Old 04-11-2014, 02:53 PM
Typical Buck

congrats man nice bird. I don't reckon you need to post pics. we will take your word for it. I will score it tonight
Old 04-11-2014, 04:42 PM
j76
Typical Buck

Way to go Dog1! Congrats!
My scouting trip this morn wasn't real great. Seen 3 strutters and a couple hens in a feild close to my grounds, and that was about it. Lookin like they are gonna be late getting em where I need them to be. Thinking the second week of the season is gonna be the time to be out there.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:39 AM
Spike

Congrats

two more weeks to wait here before season starts

[/URL]
Old 04-12-2014, 05:13 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats dog1. Opening day here in the blue grass was very windy gust of 25 mph. Hunted the afternoon with no luck. Going back in the morning to see what I can do in 30 mph winds. Got to love it.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats Dog1. If you want, you can email me the pic & I'll post it for you. [email protected]
Old 04-13-2014, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dog1's bird. Congrats.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:00 PM
Typical Buck

Default Pic and details.

First, thanks to Zubba for posting the pic.
buckman11 has asked for details. so here goes.

I went to the woods at 5 a.m. and sat in my truck drinking coffee. At 6 a.m. I got out to listen, I carry a chair in my truck and sit there drinking more coffee. I hunt hardwood river bottom land and it has been a nightmare because of river flooding which causes major problems moving about on our land, and the hens are still with the gobblers, that has created major problems.

At 6:30 a.m. I heard a bird gobble and went after him, and walked into some hens roosting. I think the dominant hen was already on the ground and I backed out. The gobbler was gobbling non-stop and I set up within about 150 yds from him. When he flew down I really started to work him and could hear the hens on the ground going towards him. Several times I thought he was coming to me. At one point he could not be over 50 yds from me but I couldn't see him. Then I'm assuming the dominant hen went into a frenzy. The gobbler went to her and I couldn't see him. A fight broke out, I believe either the hen got in a fight with another hen or the gobbler got in a fight with another gobbler, daingest thing I've heard. After the fight a hen took him away from me, by now it was 8:30 a.m. and he went quiet.

I walked back to my truck for some more coffee. At 9:00 a.m. I heard another bird and grabed my gun, stool, and homemade blind. I got set up and called to him every time he gobbled, I could tell he was coming. The last time he gobbled he was probably within 100 yds. I called to him and laid my call down, he walked in front of me at about 20 yds. and the rest is history.

I must admit, I got after one particular gobbler last year and could not bring him in. I only saw him one time last year and it was just to far to shoot, so I've been determined to get him this year. When he flys down, he goes east then turns north onto private property I couldn't go after him. I kept thinking they must have a feeder on their property, but this year I finally fiqured out what he was doing. Because of the high water flooding our land, I was determined to follow him staying around 200 yds from him, and could tell when he met with his girl friends.

Our river is supposed crest this coming Tuesday night, so that part of our land is out. But I'm not giving up on him.

dog1

Last edited by dog1; 04-13-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:19 PM
Typical Buck

Go get 'em dog!
Old 04-18-2014, 03:40 PM
Typical Buck

Good job lads where in 3rd place I got a week to go strutters are every where now!
It is killing me lol
Treebeard

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.