Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2014 Turkey Contest
Team 3* ~ Red Dawn Raiders >

Team 3* ~ Red Dawn Raiders

Community

Team 3* ~ Red Dawn Raiders

Old 03-07-2014, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

lots of snow and ice here... supposed to a mild weekend.. hope to get some of this melted off
Old 03-07-2014, 10:43 AM
Fork Horn

Mild here right now. Snow is melting. Going to camp tomorow and figure ill sight the gun....well its a single shot with a bead so im just doing it to let lead fly hehe
Old 03-08-2014, 09:30 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Have sent an e-mail to all our 'missing links'
We will wait a few days and then start replacing with alternates.

Be safe out there!

JW
Old 03-08-2014, 07:10 PM
JW
Super Moderator

And I got my cross bow back from service to day. New strings, new removable quiver. I can't wait to get out to dial that scope back in. Gonna be a lopping of heads in my future!

JW
Old 03-09-2014, 07:33 AM
Fork Horn

Sighted in my gun today....not good. I normally aim halfway up the neck and its lights out. Now im hittinf real low when i do that. Guess thats what i get for switching shells! Still dead on i just have to aim a little higher now.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:13 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Teebugg
Sighted in my gun today....not good. I normally aim halfway up the neck and its lights out. Now im hittinf real low when i do that. Guess thats what i get for switching shells! Still dead on i just have to aim a little higher now.

Do you use any type of sights you can adjust for windage and elevation?

I highly suggest that as guessing only leads to heartache.....been there myself far too many times. Then I looked as why and changed. First to a set of open clamp on Tru-Glo sights which I could adjust for windage and elevation and when my old eyes could no longer focus on the front bead to the back ramp and beyond - (was a result of a miss0 I went to a scope.

I treat my Turkey shotgun as if it is a rifle - only way to go as you are no longer pointing but aiming. And it is far to easy with just a bead or double bead, to lift your head ever so slightly, in the heat of the battle you don't even know you did it and......it's a miss or worse yet wounding.

Now my aim point is always at the waddles as that is the bottom center of my circular pattern.
Aim point is where the feathers stop and the skin starts.
It is a consistent aim point as all legal birds will have that. No guess there.

Just a thought.
Don't take offense - just an idea. But hey it's the Hunter Education Instructor that is popping out here....

JW
Old 03-09-2014, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

Its a single shot h&r. Single bead on the end. I also figured it may have been more me than the gun. Its a 3" gun and i was using federal flite control 2 3/4 shells. Never had this issue with 3" so i may be making the switch back. I wanted to test some other shells as well but it was just too dang cold!
Old 03-09-2014, 09:25 AM
Fork Horn

And no offense taken. Always nice to get some constructive criticism
Old 03-09-2014, 09:30 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Thanks Teebug.....and I have missed with the scope too! even with 30 yrs of turkey hunting experience I get too dang excited at times and in the past 2 years I have missed taking a double with my kid 3 times.....So I am 0 for 3 and she is 2 for 3.

I have taken grief from her over that.....simple for me. You no longer get 1st shot! And I told her so.

JW

Ps as long as you are test firing. And hitting low I am wondering if adding a Monte Carlo butt stock addition like I did would help you?

Last edited by JW; 03-09-2014 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:10 AM
Fork Horn

Hey guys, I just did some scouting on some new property I gained access to here in IL and man are there a lot of turkeys on it. The snow really helped find travel routes/patterns. Saw a few birds as well. I've got a few roust sites to set up on as well as some later morning travel routes. Should be a slam dunk hunt. Only regret is not getting extra tags and there are no leftovers for this county. Definately will get more tags next year. Don't worry about me filling tags though - I have 3 for OK, and 1 for WI and am planning on buying 2 more WI tags when they become available and should fill most if not all. Come on turkey season!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.