Community

Team 8 "Heavy Hitters"

Old 10-07-2014, 08:47 AM
Typical Buck

I went out last night got in the stand late because I was waiting for the girlfriend.. On our way in we bumped a doe. Once we got settled in the Mosquitos were terrible. I believe this may be the worst year Iowa has had for mosquitos. Then a farmer begins mowing his waterways 100 yards to the East of us. I thought that wouldn't effect anything because he would be done before we knew it.. Boy I thought wrong as soon as he finished mowing he began discing. Ended up leaving the stand about ten minutes early because I like to get up on top of the hill before shooting light ends because once in a while there is always deer. So we reached the top of the hill and sure enough there was a deer 100 yards away. I grunted and doe grunted a few times but it was to dark to see through the bright reticles in the rangefinder and to hard to determine if it was a doe or button buck so I let it walk.

Going to chase some honkers tonight and tomorrow morning. Hoping to kill our limit with the first flock in and maybe go out to my scouting stand.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:58 AM
Typical Buck

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...3&id=503105642

If this works here is my miss on the doe
Old 10-08-2014, 10:07 AM
Typical Buck

I used to be an avid waterfowler up until four years ago when I started bowhunting. Since o started bowhunting I have gone out only a hand full of times. Sunday morning my brother went out and shot a single and wouldn't stop bugging me about going with him. So Monday night I went out and got my migratory game bird fee and duck stamp and said I'd go with him when I didn't have anything going on. We scouted a local lake that was just opened up for goose hunting for the first year where he got his goose on Sunday. There weren't as many as we usually see but enough to fill our limit.. Well skip forward to this morning I decided I could go before my 9:00 class and so we got up a little late but still got to the lake 15 minutes before shooting light. I set four decoys before realizing I had forgot my goose calls back home. So we get tucked back in on the island and begin the wait when we see a group coming in and headed to the far shore from us.. By now it's 10 minutes into shooting light and I began calling with my mouth and they hooked hard right around and we dropped 4 with three shots. With it only being 7:15 we decided to go check an old silt pond to see if there were any ducks so we drove around the lake to the public hunting side and walked back to the pond. There were a few teal so we decided to try our luck. We ended up dropping two but one was a diver and we lost her after four dives. We couldn't send a dog in either with all the bluegreen algae so after 30 minutes of searching and kayaking around the pond we gave up. Would have been my brothers first duck so he is pretty bummed. But we will be back this afternoon for the ducks and will be back after geese before class tomorrow. It was a good get away from the stand to give them a rest

Last edited by iayotehunter; 10-08-2014 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice hunt. I grew up around Chesapeake Bay and never got into waterfowl hunting. Cold and water don't mix, in my mind.
Old 10-09-2014, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good Day on the Water! Congrats.

Hatchet Jack
Old 10-10-2014, 06:41 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks... Wish the limit was more than two a person but it's still worth it... I just cooked two breast up for breakfast and the girlfriend approved... Back in the deer stand tonight though
Old 10-10-2014, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Weather predicts rain for the weekend. I'm going to hit a honey hole I have in a suburban area. 80 acres adjacent to a golf course surrounded by housing. Hope the rain tapers off at sunrise like they predict.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Got this one there last year with rifle.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:38 AM
Typical Buck

Good luck!!! That's a great buck you got last year
Old 10-13-2014, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well Saturday morning the rain stopped just before sunrise. Limbs were popping and nuts were falling making it sound like deer were dancing all around me. Unfortunately the only living creatures out in the foggy damp was squirrels. Rain recommenced at 8:30 and we came out of the woods at 9:00 not having seen a single deer. I had an appointment at 10:00 and after that we killed some time waiting for the evening set. The rain alternated with the sun in a game of celestial tag. I decided to change my location for one more conducive to ground hunting since that's what I was doing because I didn't want to go out in the rain Friday night to pull a stand to use Saturday. I was using a new tree seat by Millennium that I had just received. It is absolutely incredible! If you do any ground pounding you should consider getting one. It is lighter than a stool and more comfortable than my double bull blind seat and I can use it on my steep mountain sides. Really pleased with it.

So I picked a spot in the thick where a traditional crossing was. We have seen them cross this spot from one cut-over to another for years, with many a big buck sighted crossing. The buck I shot last year was crossing here. With a steady NE wind I sat up on the north side, west of the main trail. At 6:08 I saw a doe about 40 yards into the thick, traveling East-West. This would take her past my left but out of range. I watched her and then caught more movement. It was a string of does, 4, moving along the same trail. They were upwind of me and undisturbed. Unfortunately the persimmon tree or creek west of me held more appeal than the other block of thickets and they moved away from me. Still, it was a new piece of information. There was a major trail further in. Next time, when the wind is right, I'll set up near the intersection of the two trails.

Meanwhile, my buddy was covered up in does in the area I had hunted in the morning. He had shot a doe last Sunday and was looking for a buck so he just watched them and took pictures.

We didn't score one but we had a pleasant enough time in spite of the damp weather.

Anyone else seeing anything?

Last edited by Talondale; 10-13-2014 at 05:48 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.