Nock Stars Team 1

Old 11-09-2014, 02:30 PM
Fork Horn

Pm sent, I'm back from my hunt and have Internet consistently again.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:20 AM
Fork Horn

Posted the buck
Old 11-12-2014, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by golfpro261
Posted the buck
Thanks David.

I'm hunting hard in Missouri now. It's public land but it's gorgeous. I've killed the buck you posted and two does, one of which was yesterday morning.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:40 PM
Fork Horn

Alright team 1, how's everyone doing??!

I have a few days I'm going to get out before gun season next Saturday. We are currently in second place but littlecheif has not put his buck score in.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well fellows, it was a great trip. It started with a sit with my bow on the afternoon of Friday the 7th. Gun season was opening the next morning and I was hoping to get my Kentucky buck with my bow before the gun opener.

I had located this spot months before and when season finally opened the wind was always wrong. This time the wind was marginal but not bad so I pushed it. I did gamble a little by riding the perimiter of the small field on my quad to check the scrapes and trails. I sure wasn't going to walk the edge. Anyway, the sign was hot so I dropped my Summit Viper Elite, my bow and my pack off at my tree and rode the quad out of there, sneaked back in and set up.

Just like I expected it to, the buck came out at the far corner. I spotted it immediately but there was still a chance he would cross the field out of range. When he turned and started following the treeline to the next scrape I knew the game was on.

He got to 15 yards from me and started licking a branch where there was no scrape. This was unexpected and since there was no cover between him and me except my bow, I was sure he was going to spot me. The entire time he was licking that branch his head was pointed directly at me 15 yards away.

Finally, he stopped playing with the branch and started walking the crossing I was covering. There was only one tree that he would go behind that would let me draw before he got to me. It was another gamble because it wasn't a very big tree - maybe 10 inches in diameter - but I had to take the risk. If I waited until he got a little past me there would be a little cover and before long he would hit my scent stream.

His eyes went behind the right side of the tree and I snatched that 70# bow back as quickly as I could and he kept walking. I had the pin on him and suddenly, for some reason unknown to me but for which I'm very thankful for, he stopped in the clear, broadside at 7 yards. I took advantage of this, closed my left eye to re-center the pin in the peep, then opened my left eye, aimed for an exit hole and touched the release.

I saw that white wrapped and white fletched arrow hit the mark and knew instantly he wasn't going anywhere. He mule kicked and ran into the woods, made a right and started paralleling the field edge back the way he had come. He made it about 50 yards or so before he crashed very loudly.

I fished out my phone and texted my brother, who was hunting about 500 yards away on the other side of a field, two words: "Buck down."

He texted back and said "I know. I heard him crash."

Who would have thought it? Three hours into the first sit of an eleven day hunt and I get a decent (for me) buck with my bow.

It was pretty awesome.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:48 PM
Fork Horn

Nice story!

I'll get an evening hunt in tomorrow nite and Thursday. But it's going to be -7 and suck!!!

Hopefully I can smoke the nice 10 I saw and got on cam a few times.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by golfpro261
Nice story!

I'll get an evening hunt in tomorrow nite and Thursday. But it's going to be -7 and suck!!!

Hopefully I can smoke the nice 10 I saw and got on cam a few times.
Good luck!

If you put any faith at all in lunar phases, Friday and Saturday should be phenomenal days with the new moon rising and setting with the sun.

During the rut that may not mean much, but the deer always seem to go crazy during that new moon.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:28 PM
Fork Horn

No luck this weekend. Passed up many 2.5 year old bucks. Heard chasing and mature grunt Saturday morning and only saw the 2 does.

Guess I'll have to find some time to try some late season magic.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:40 AM
Spike

Score a doe for me also. Posting it for score today.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:27 PM
Fork Horn

I'll have a few days late season coming up. I have a request for some meat so if I see something that doesn't have any potential, he's going down.

Hopefully I can see those big boys I saw before but in range this time...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.