Team 1nfringe

Old 10-11-2013, 11:23 AM
Fork Horn

Hi got out for a four hour evening hunt. I didn't see any deer in front of me but when I check my camera on the backside of the cornfield hundred yards away two small box for coming out as I was getting down for the night. Overall, there were two new medium-size bucks, an okay 10 and a medium 8 pointer. I did get the one we call superwide, a 9 point which is 24-25 inch inside spread on camera three different days. This guy really needs another year at minimum to get some tine length. He also may be the buck that doesn't get tines very long just as wide so it's going to be a tough call when I see him in the woods
Old 10-11-2013, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last weekend's antelope hunt in Wyoming was another bust. A blizzard forced me to dig my truck out of snow banks twice-to the point I was exhausted Saturday night. I tossed in the towel and drove back to Colorado.

I'm off to South Dakota this weekend. It'll be my only chance to deer hunt until December. Needless to say, anything over 100 inches is going to get it. A whopper deer in the Blackhills of South Dakota isn't much more than 130 inches. There are some exceptions of course, but they are very few and far in between. From what I hear, there is still about a foot and a half of snow remaining from the 43 inches Spearfish received last weekend. Should be fun! At least I'll be able to make out the most used deer trails...

Good luck everyone!
Old 10-12-2013, 11:54 PM
Fork Horn

Finished my bear season last weekend and didn't have any bruins come in while on the stand for 3 days. Did have a spiker come in and eat some apples I left out and then a doe and two fawns joined him. The doe busted me as I was playing hide-n-seek with the spiker to see how much movement I could get away with at 20 yards and sent the family scrambling. At least I had some excitement, just not the animal I was after.

Starting to get serious about bow hunting this weekend and will by shooting tomorrow with the boy scout group I take hunting every Halloween.

Spent the day picking mushrooms and cleaning and cooking them. Now just need some fresh venison for my favorite feast of tenderloin, onions, and honey mushrooms. Looking forward to my first sit deer hunting next weekend since this weekend is chore catch up time.

Good luck Team 1nfringe; I smell fall in the air as the leaves are past peak and starting to sail. Aim true!
Old 10-13-2013, 06:43 AM
Fork Horn

I'll be getting up to my land Wednesday night to hunt morning and night and maybe Friday morning as well. Got a weeding Saturday and the rehearsal dinner Friday night.

Should be a full moon so maybe start a kick off for some rutting.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's the bad news. I'm not going to be much help, other than moral support, for Team 1nfringe...

The good news. We have a buck going into our tally. Both Mother Nature and South Dakota were very good to me. With all the snow it was just a matter of reading the landscape. 43 inches of the white has a way on concentrating the critters. I found a spot Saturday on public land which looked as ripe as ripe could be. A quick climb with my climber had me perched in the cat's seat, and it wasn't much of a wait for the action to begin. Within ten minutes of reaching 20 feet, I had deer filtering past. I evenutally counted over sixty deer by dusk. At one point I had 10 spikers directly below me. I saw a total of 12 shooter bucks-at least what I would consider a shooter for the area. I nailed this buck with about 30 minutes of legal light left. He's not big by mid-west standards, but he's a tad better than average for the Black Hills. I will tape him tomorrow...
Old 10-13-2013, 07:54 PM
Fork Horn

Nice work!!

I heard some things about many animal deaths with the freak snow storm. Animals did not have winter coats.

Congrats and were on the buck board!
Old 10-14-2013, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well guys, my buck is on the score sheet. He's not quite the 100 incher I was hoping for, but close. He taped out at 94 inches. We'll need a few of you lads to make up for my shortcomings. Get out there and get-r-done! Happy hunting!
Old 10-14-2013, 08:29 AM
Typical Buck

Huckleberry-

You are the man!!

Good luck guys-
Old 10-14-2013, 03:49 PM
Fork Horn

Will, nice job, it's crazy having that much snow on the ground in Oct. I will be out next weekend. Lots of standing corn still.

bb
Old 10-14-2013, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bob, and to think last week Spearfish was under 43 inches of snow...just crazy! You should have seen all the heavy snow piles amongst the tree damage. With their leaves still in place, the trees didn't stand a chance. I seem to be finding all the extreme weather locations this year.

I wish you luck. I'm sure the hunting will pick up in the next three weeks. I love the rut, especially when the corn is down! Toss in Illinois and it doesn't get much better! I'll be rooting for you!

I have about four weekends of Colorado elk/mule deer hunting on the burner. I have a bull tag to fill (between helping a few non-resident guests). Then, I'll be hunting with my 13 y/o daughter. She has both a muley buck and cow elk tag. The hunt with her is cherished time afield.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.