HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   2013 - 2014 HNI Bowhunting Deer Contest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2013-2014-hni-bowhunting-deer-contest-142/)
-   -   Team Edge. #6 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2013-2014-hni-bowhunting-deer-contest/384641-team-edge-6-a.html)

pjhunts 09-01-2013 08:59 AM

Team Edge. #6

Howdy guys. Guess we need to get this started.

PaBowSniper 09-01-2013 12:13 PM

Roger that!

fshafly2 09-02-2013 02:04 AM

Checking in - season here in MD starts this week!

-fsh

TheinesPines 09-02-2013 02:03 PM

Hey Guys--Checking in from here in WI.
I will be hunting in the Central, SW and SE parts of the state. I have some decent ones on cam.

Season here starts in a couple of weeks.
Pines

ManofTheFall 09-02-2013 03:02 PM

My name is Shawn and I live here in east central Ohio. The hunting looks like it will be very good this year. Any one have any suggestions on any team names?

pjhunts 09-02-2013 04:56 PM

Idk. I suck at thinkin up names. I did however put " big buck bully" on a tree stand that I had to label for some public ground. It got a few laughs.

pjhunts 09-02-2013 05:13 PM

I'm cautiously optimistic for this season. It starts oct 1 here. I'll have a week or so of hunting then a solid month o work then hunt again so I dunno. Have a couple good ones on cam. Mid 50's 9 pt and a triple beam buck that will be in the 60's. and then we have the one I missed last year. He won't show up til nov. I new he was good but didn't know how good til I picked up his shed. It went 94 1/2 " by itself. His other side was bout the same. Somewhere around 204" gross. If say he was only 4 or 4 yrs old. So he should blow up this year

ManofTheFall 09-02-2013 10:32 PM

I really got off to a late start this year. I do have all but 2 of my stands up. I will be putting up one more on Thursday and then the last one probably next Tuesday. Our season here in Ohio starts September 28th. I did just get some bad news though. My mom and aunts, and uncle decided to sell the family farm. The only good thing about that is I only have 1 stand there, I just hate to see it go. I spent alot of time growing up there. There is still a chance I can get in on one more piece of property that I have been trying to get permission there for the last 5 years. Where is everyone else from and when does your season start?

ArtyJoe 09-03-2013 06:39 AM

ArtyJoe checking in. I hunt in Missouri and successfully harvested a doe and an 8 pointer last year.

Hoping to do better this year but have only gotten 1 good shooter on my game camera this year.

deernutz 09-03-2013 06:59 AM

Checking in. I'm pretty excited for this year. Have a nice farm with a cottonwood bottom that has some monsters living it it, and have a pretty nice mule deer scouted out in a different area. Season starts Sat. Pretty pumped.

cmoutos 09-03-2013 09:38 AM

Checking in. I am in Centerview, MO 1 hr East of Kansas City. I will be on public land only this year unless I pull somthing out of my a**. A cattle farmer leased the property that i was hunting and does not want hunting around his cattle. I did apply for a managed deer hunt and I have 4 pref points so hopfully I will get picked. Good luck to everybody

pjhunts 09-07-2013 11:05 AM

Looks like we're still missing a couple of guys. Need to come up with a name and decide on a captain

TheinesPines 09-07-2013 05:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hey Team,

I am going to say I am out on captain....I have a baby on the way so I have tons of projects around the house. I am hunting close to home mainly this year for that main reason....That said here are a few I hope to get an arrow in.

The tall brow we are calling "daggers"
The wide 10
and Stickers---we think he will go 15 points or so!

Heres hoping!!!
Pines

ManofTheFall 09-07-2013 08:59 PM

I got one more stand up this past Thursday and I have one more to go. I will get that one up on Tuesday. I know exactly where it will be going. I'm still hoping to get a last minute approval on a property adjacent to a property I am hunting on now. If I get that I will also have to put a stand or 2 there. I will be off this next week from Tuesday to Tuesday. I should be able to get everything that needs done before the season starts on the 28th of September.

ManofTheFall 09-07-2013 09:01 PM

I use The Rage. What broadheads do you guys all use?

fshafly2 09-08-2013 03:12 AM

Man - I bought some Rage Hypodermics to try - I have used slick tricks for years (Thunderheads/Wasp prior years) and the Rage will be my first ever mechs.

I plan to get out this coming week. I am still planting fall plots, so that is slowing me down. I usually hunt the local Navy Base, but they have yet to get out the hunting instruction (the instruction sets the deer limits that do not count against our State limits).

Nice bucks there Pines! Hope you nail one.

-fsh

pjhunts 09-08-2013 05:18 PM

I've had zero luck with the rages. Bought two packs and ended up throwing them away. The little rubber ring thing quit holding the blades all the time. I use the spitfires with the blade on the end. Thought about using swhackers after these

ManofTheFall 09-08-2013 09:19 PM

I didn't see it anywhere in the rules for this year but last year we added points for a doe. Are we doing that again this year?

fshafly2 09-09-2013 02:18 AM

Man
Does count again this year for 25 pts. Go get 'em.

-fsh

TheinesPines 09-09-2013 03:22 PM

I shoot the Muzzy 125s.

I tired rage a while back but found my set up is more accurate with the Muzzys. I took a turkey last fall with the bow....30 yards....lucky...but I could see the three blades where they sliced right through the heart. Perfect imprint!

I will stick with my muzzys.

Also looking to stick a doe early to earn a tag and get some meat back in the deep freeze.
Pines

deernutz 09-10-2013 07:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Almost got it done openeing morning. I shot over the back of a mulie I had been watching. I ranged him at 45 but when I re-ranged it after the shot. It said 35. I think a bush may have gotten in the way. He was a bruiser. Oh well I haven't missed in awhile. I was due one.

I decided to hunt my whitetail stand in a river bottom. From the minute I was in the stand I had does on all four sides of me. I could have put us on the board but it's too sweet of an area to shoot a doe right away and maybe screw it up. I did see a 140 inch 9 point rubbing some bushes 200 yds away. It's just a matter of time before I can close the deal.

I did take sat afternoon off from deer hunting to hunt some elk. My buddy connected on a nice bull at 35 yds.

Pretty good opening weekend.

PaBowSniper 09-10-2013 11:45 AM

I have used Rage's for the past few years and have had really good success with them. I am giving their new hypodermic's a try this year.

I have a couple nice bucks by my house; however I dont have permission to hunt the property yet. I am in Virgina right now. I looked up the property owners and it is an estate and the 'in care of' comes back to someone in Montana. I sent a letter to them around early summer and have not heard back; however I did find out that a local farmer is farming the property. Mainly just hay from the looks of it. I want to get you guys' thoughts on how to approach this for permission? Any tips. I will only get 1 shot at this so before I do it I figured I would see what y'all have to say. I have a hunting resume with all my information and pictures of my vehicle for identification. I just haven't had luck with getting permission here in VA. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

deernutz 09-10-2013 01:35 PM

I got permission by dressing nice and having a liabilty release form for them to sign. Most say no because their afraid your gonna get hurt on their property. Also I start with asking for archery only. Since then he lets me hunt anything with anything.

PaBowSniper 09-10-2013 06:44 PM

Good idea with the liability release form. Do you have a sample of that form? I do like the archey first idea. Most ppl thing guns right away when you ask for hunting. Thanks for the tips.

PaBowSniper 09-10-2013 08:19 PM

Here a candidate for me for this year.

fshafly2 09-11-2013 01:10 AM

Good luck Pa on the buck.
As far as asking permission: the liability form and bow-only are a good start. Landowners do not relish losing control of their land. If possible, ask only permission for yourself, maybe ask to hunt only for one or two days a week. If it makes sense, offer to do some work around the place in exchange for hunting. Always be courteous, and thank the owner for their consideration even if you are turned down.

-fsh

PaBowSniper 09-11-2013 07:20 AM

Sounds good fshafly. I hope to get out and do some knocking here this week or next. Thanks for the tips.

deernutz 09-11-2013 10:19 AM

This buck is killing me. I saw the whitetail buck again. Last night with an hr of light left he jumped the fence and feed around me for an hr or so unitl it got dark. But he stayed about 65 yds out. I had quit a bit of time to judge his rack. He's a bruiser of an 8 pt. g-2's 15 inches, mass. I hope to see him again.

PaBowSniper 09-11-2013 12:12 PM

Wow that sounds like a nice buck. Its still early. He has plenty of time to make a mistake! Good luck.

ManofTheFall 09-11-2013 12:43 PM

Sounds like you have a lot of good candidates there deernutz. Good luck with them. Good looking 8 there Pa. You taking him out if given the chance? Looks like we need to get busy picking a captain and a team name. Nominations, volunteers, let's have them. Here is a team name I will toss out there: Tree stand Archers.

deernutz 09-11-2013 01:19 PM

I'm gonna definately take him if I get a shot. He'll be my second best bow buck. I did see a smaller 8pt but he stayed like 200 yds away. I broke my own rules this year and put my stand right next to a bedding area, and so far. I gotta tell yeah I've seen more deer in two sits then half the season last year put together. I do scare some deer but I'm really self concience with scent and I walk really really slow to my stand. They just trot away and come back an hr later.

When it comes to a name. I really doesn't matter to me.

pjhunts 09-12-2013 05:25 AM

For permission talk to the farmer. Here the farmer has the say so about hunting when he has the lease. Man I wish I could be hunting already. I need to move west! I don't really care about the name either. Don't have much interest in being captain either

PaBowSniper 09-12-2013 12:55 PM

sounds good PJ. I plan on doing that soon. Ill let y'all know how it goes. I might be out this weekend for some doe here in Virginia. Meat in the freezer!

deernutz 09-13-2013 08:10 AM

Score one for team 6

1 Attachment(s)
Well I shot this bruiser last night. He wasn't the huge 8pt which I saw but I couldn't pass up this mass and chocolate horns. I was glassing the bigger 8pt, but he stayed about 200yds away. This guy snuck in and caught me off guard. Once I saw the mass the release went on the string. It wasn't the best angle straight down but he didn't go far at all. I used Muzzy 100's 4 blade and it sliced through him like butter. I didn't get a tape on him yet due to the fact of trying to get him skinned and quartered and on ice cause it was so warm. I'll get a better pic up and a score sat. Good luck guys.:rock::party0007:

ManofTheFall 09-13-2013 10:00 AM

Well I do believe you will be first on the board. Congrats!!!!! Looking forward to some better pics.

ManofTheFall 09-13-2013 10:02 AM

Has everyone checked in yet?

zubba 09-13-2013 11:24 AM

Hey guys, zubba checking in. Hunting Iowa.

Nice buck deernutz, great start. Congrats

I'm not picky on names or captain.

fshafly2 09-13-2013 12:19 PM

Way to go, congrats Nutz! Now that the ice is broken, we can pile on the points, lol.

-fsh

cmoutos 09-13-2013 12:30 PM

Hey congrats nice buck. I get to start on the 15th. I also found out that I got picked for a managed deer hunt this year so I have high hopes for that. I have seen and heard of some good deer coming out of that place I just have to find one. It is a earn your buck kinda of hunt so I should be good for a doe out of it and it runs from Nov 2 - 17 right in the middle of the rut.

PaBowSniper 09-14-2013 03:55 AM

Nice buck Nutz!