Team Edge. #6

Old 10-21-2013, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I almost arrowed a giant Monday evening. It was 6:15 and I saw a deer coming from my left. I immediately got ready. Everything was perfect. He was heading right towards my shooting lane, the wind was out of the south, and he was coming from the east. This deer was over 20" wide and tall and heavy. I couldn't get a point count but he was at least a 10 with kickers. Possibly a 12. I put him anywhere from 160"-180". At 6:20 he is 48 yards away and he stops and nibbles on some oak scrub brush. Then the dreaded thing happened. The wind shifted and was now out of the west blowing right towards the buck. I was amazed at how as soon as it shifted his nose went immediately up in the air and he turned and bounded away. He didn't go busting out of there like gang busters it was just a nice slow trot. So, this was #1 encounter with a big boy this year. I know there are better days ahead. I also know on the 2 area's I hunt in there are several bucks that go 150"-180". I believe this may be the first year I crack that 150" mark. My best is a 145".

Last edited by ManofTheFall; 10-21-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am a midnight x-ray tech at a hospital in Canton, Ohio. Talk about seeing alot of crazy things? I have seen them.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am hoping to get off early this mornig again and sit in my stand by that scrape. If I do I will let you all know how it goes.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:45 AM
Typical Buck

Well done Sniper! Congrats on the buck!
pj - I am almost 9 years into retirement and take care of my farm for a 'living'.
I had hunted the Navy's eab area, still lacking a doe. I saw two shooters these last two evenings, 12 bucks in all. Does are getting scarce - they aren't hanging where any bucks are feeding for sure.
I'm going to try a new spot later this week. A neighbor of a friend wants a bowhunter to sit over his 1A kale/turnip patch and take out a few of the 14 does that show up regularly. I was told that there is also a nice buck around...

-fsh
Old 10-22-2013, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

This morning I had one little one come past me. Then about 7:40 I saw a person in full camo walking the property line. this is usually the direction the deer come from in the morning. Needless to say I didn't see anymore after that. Looks like it may be raining pretty heavy Wednesday morning so i may be sleeping in unless the forecast changes. My next time out will probably be Thursday evening. Good luck to all!!!!!
Old 10-22-2013, 09:28 AM
Spike

Hey Guys,

So Nice buck Sniper!

Well our adaptive sportmens hunt went well. The hunter I took on for the weekend got a nice doe. She made a perfect shot while balancing in her wheel chair and shooting one hand while the crossbow rested on the window! Truly awesome. Even got to see a tracking dog in action. Short trail to follow but fun to watch the dog none the less. I am working on the video now...great footage!

My bro came to full draw on a basket 6...would have been his first but the buck spooked right before he could get a shot off.

The big 16 point we call splits---came in at 1am to the place where we shot the doe earlier. Maybe we can get up there in a week or two to try the rut.

Hunting back home this weekend. No real signs of the rut yet. With this cold though I am guessing we will pop soon.

PJ--I am a 2nd grade teacher!

Stay safe--
Pines
Old 10-22-2013, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like everyone is at least seeing some deer. Hope you all connect.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:29 PM
Fork Horn

Heading back out Wednesday morning to try to down me a doe. Weather is getting chilly so hopefully they should be moving.

I also plan on putting up another camera to try to find out where the big 9 is going. He has been passing my lower stand in the middle of the night. I have another good trail in the direction he is heading so I'm going to post up another cam and see if that's the direction he is heading.

PJ - I am a Police Officer.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:12 AM
Typical Buck

Hey. Any of you be able to post a couple pics for me. I'd like to show you the ones after but can't post pics from my phone ( very aggravating ) one is a bona fide 200". I could email or text u the pics
Looks like we have interesting jobs. ..... Oh retirement. So jealous!
Old 10-23-2013, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

E-mail me at [email protected] I will gladly post the pics. Looks like Thursday evening will be my next time out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.