Community

Team Edge. #6

Old 10-08-2013, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am at work right now and my boss already asked me if I wanted to leave early today. I said you know it. So I will be on stand again this morning.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I totally blew a chance at a really big doe this morning. I saw a couple earlier like before shooting light. I am pretty sure one of them was a buck. I am sure you have all heard of the buck growl by now. This buck was not grunting it was growling. This is the first time I have actually heard this vocalization for real. It sounds kind of scary, lol. Anyways to the doe story. I heard a doe bleating quite loudly. It was getting closer and closer. It was 8:30 when I saw her. She walked on past me and shortly she presented me with about a nice open 10 yard broadside shot. I was all relaxed and calm. I drew back without drawing any kind of attention from her. She had no idea what was coming. I released the arrow and wham!!!!! What the heck just happened? My bow went flying forward in a jerking motion and was nearly ripped out of my hand. The arrow landed about 1 foot short of the doe and off she went. So, you ask what happened? In my calm relaxed state of mind and my confidence after all this happened I realized the bow was resting on my leg and obviously when I released the arrow with the turning of the wheel on my bow it jerked it forward causing me to miss a very large doe. Needless to say I was very angry at myself and hopefully I will never do this again. Has this ever happened to any of you? Looks like I will go back out Thursday and Saturday evenings. I will keep you all posted and updated on my hunts. Hopefully you all will do the same for us. Keep at them and good luck
Old 10-09-2013, 10:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

My Saturday hunting is nixed. I forgot here in Ohio we have an early 2 day muzzle loader season which is Saturday and Sunday, doe only. Even though I would be bow hunting the ODNR says no bucks that weekend no matter what you are hunting with. So, not only will I not be out on a weekend I am off but this will probably mess up my hunts for the next week or so. Thank you ODNR!!! NOT!!!!!
Old 10-10-2013, 07:43 AM
Spike

Man that sucks hope your luck get better. I plan on getting a hunt or two in the weekend. goodluck everybody.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:56 PM
Fork Horn

I am hoping to get out this Saturday. Its been raining alot here this week so I have not been out.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thursday evening I saw a button buck and a doe fawn about 5:15. Then nothing until about 7:00. I saw a 1 1/2 year old 5 point. So, I could have had any one of the three but obviously I am after something a little bigger. Looks like I won't be getting back out until Monday morning. Good luck guys!!!!! Keep at them!!!!!
Old 10-12-2013, 09:45 AM
Spike

Went out last night. I moved my stand to the edge of a 3 acre food plot planted in clover. I heard movement behind me about 15 minutes before dark. It was a bachelor group of 3 bucks. They were approaching the field and started entering it only 20 yards to the South of me.

The first one out was a buck we call "short bus". He isn't real bright and he has only 1 good antler. The other side is just a stub. He enters the field and travels right in front of me only 15 yards away. I pass on him.

The second deer was a standard 8 pointer. He entered the field very cautiously and traveled South, away from me.

The third deer came out and gave me a 30 yard quartering away shot. I decided to take this deer.

The arrow hit further back than I like so I backed out and decided to let him go until morning.

It was a one of those nights. I couldn't sleep, tossing and turning and replaying that shot in my head. All the practice, all the preparation for that shot, and I shoot to far back...but he was quartering away so I had hope.

This morning I wake up to pouring rain. I know there will be no blood trail but I owe it to the deer to give it everything I got to recover him.

I get to my stand at first light and replay the entire set of events. I know there is a deer trail in the corner of that field where he exited. I move in on the trail very slowly looking for blood, for an arrow, for anything. There is nothing.

Keep working my way down the trail another 60 yards and I catch a glimpse of White. There he is!!! A nice 8 point buck. He went maybe 100 yards.

What a rush of emotions, from being sick to your stomach to pure joy, all in less than a second.

I will post pics shortly.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:13 AM
Spike

Old 10-12-2013, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the nice 8 Joe!!!!! You just put us back into first place. We were only off the throne I think for 2 days. Now add a doe and we can work on everyone else adding some points. I will be out again on Monday. Good luck to everyone!!!!!
Old 10-12-2013, 07:34 PM
Spike

Well boys it has been abit. No real luck on our youth season last weekend. But....stuck a doe tonight.

I am hunting a Metro unit just outside of Milwaukee WI. The group of does we have been watching came in 10min before close. They milled around for about 5 min and the mid sized doe stood broadside at 22 yards.---Pass through. I got my bro and went to the last place we saw her. Blood....but she busted about 20 yards from us. She only took 5 hops and silence. Decided to back out for the night.

Being Metro Unit we have a neighbors house within 300 yards. We did not want to push her into the yard or even close. I will be out at 7am to track her down.

Will keep you up to date and try to get the bow cam video up!
Good luck all
Pines

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.