Team 8

Old 10-07-2013, 04:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talk about an up and down last few days. Saw nothing Thur am until I went out to pull cameras after lunch, jumped a doe at the first camera. Went to the second camera, but it wasn't there - stolen. Went to the third hoping they missed it and I got pics of them but no luck. Friday saw nothing other than one I jumped on the way out from my morning hunt. Saw nothing Sat morning, came out when the rain started around 9:30. It quit around 11 so went out with my buddy to check on his rifle stand. Once repairs were done, went back out. I literally just sit down in my ladder stand, don't even have an arrow knocked and I see a monster tearing the crap out of a tree out in front of me. Didn't dare try for my binos to check him out, but could tell he had over a 20" spread. He worked that tree for awhile, then started away from me. Tried the grunt tube and stopped him but he wouldn't come any closer. After he worked up the hill out of sight, tried hitting the horns together lightly but nothing. Hunted the same stand Sunday am until 1pm seeing nothing but a couple spikes that got spooked by my decoy and 1 turkey. Went to investigate the area a bit more and I think I found his rub line and have a different tree picked out for my climber for next time. I'm headed back Wed night to try it again.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

give it hell Wallhangr!
Old 10-08-2013, 01:48 PM
Typical Buck

Sorry I have not been checking in. Been a busy last several days. When I went to the lease the damned truck broke down so I spent half my time getting it fixed. Nothing worse than trying to run down a short. Add to that the fact that my Mother-In-Law passed away and it makes for a busy 2 weeks. Looks like I will be able to get a little hunting done this weekend so hopefully the deer will cooperate.

Good luck.

-john
Old 10-09-2013, 05:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

TX... sorry to hear about mother in law and truck... when it rains it pours... good luck
Old 10-09-2013, 12:25 PM
Fork Horn

Acckkkkkkkkkkkkkkk...................missed a doe at 48 yards lastnight and before anyone ask, yes I am confident shooting out to 60. She duck the arrow big time.

I went out before the rain started today and shot 20, 30, 40, 50 and 60 yards to verify my bow. Dead on at all ranges, now to the bad part..............for some reason my Wildgame range finder is ranging 8 yards high...........doh. Verified this at each target after shooting and pacing off each distance.

Replaced the battery thinking maybe the battery was going bad and it still ranges a 8 yard difference. Last night when I saw the doe coming and ranged the tree she would pass by I had a hard time getting the range finder to activate, had to hit the button like 5 times. I guess the cheap range finder I bought 4 years ago is finally giving out. Going to Dicks Sporting goods after dinner to get me a Scout 1000 or something similar.

Thank goodness that doe was not one of my target bucks or I would be really upset right now)))))

Dave
Old 10-09-2013, 07:09 PM
Fork Horn

Southern I've got a bushnell scout 1000 ARC and like it, but the Nikon I had previously had clearer optics. I'd definitely try to do a side by side.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by krub6b
Southern I've got a bushnell scout 1000 ARC and like it, but the Nikon I had previously had clearer optics. I'd definitely try to do a side by side.
I have the same Bushnell and like it... i had an older Nikon prior and didn't care for it as much.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:11 AM
Fork Horn

Bought the Bushnell scout arc 1000. Been playing with it at home, ranged the base of a few trees in the backyard with the new and old range finder, old range finder keeps showing 8 yards off.

Think I will call Wildgame and see if they will replace it, would like to give it to my 21 year old son.

Dave
Old 10-13-2013, 04:32 AM
Fork Horn

Very exciting Evening yesterday gents. I went out in a light rain/mist and was settled in what I call the "far back stand", have not hunted that stand since it was put up a month before season open. Around 5:30 I see movement straight in front of me in the thick brush/trees at 60 yards, I stood there and did not move a muscle. After a few minutes a nice "guestimated" 130 class 8 point pops out at 45 yards and is slowly feeding along the thick brush.

He starts making a rub and suddenly I see movement behind and about 10 yards to his right. To my amazement it was a perfect 10 point that I would also guess to be upper 130 to low 140's. Both deer feed and move within 40 yards but I do not have a clear shot, then eventually feed away and I lose sight of them heading towards the northern swamp area.

Now I am standing there thinking " Hmmmm, two large bucks moving together, I would have thought the bachelor groups would have broke up by now. So what does this tell me?..........it tells me there are even bigger more dominate bucks in the area and guess what? I am RIGHT............................................. .... !!!!!!

At 6:10 I look to my left and see nothing but rack coming through the woods, It is Hightower " Buck I have been hunting for three years" and he is massive, easily 150 class buck with a huge body. He turns and follows almost the same trail that the other two bucks used. At one point he gets to a point that if he took 2 to 3 more steps I would have had an easy 30 yard shot. He decides to turn slightly right and move behind the thick brush and slowly feeds away towards the swamp just like the 8 and 10 pointer.

Folks, you just do not see deer of this caliber on a regular basis down here. So what does this tell me? That I am doing something right, have hunted this property seven years and have passed on 100-110 class deer, four years ago I set a rule in my head of 120 or bigger and let them go and grow policy, I believe for this property it may be paying off.

Dave
Old 10-14-2013, 03:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

go get them Southern MD!!!! Sounds like you are close to sealing the deal. Those all are stud bucks!!! I hope you get one... or more !

Not much happening here... had a small 6 and 7 pt on my cam noon Thursday... then a shooter 3.5 year old 6 point w/ no brows that night... nothing since... sat stand last night and saw nothing...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.