Community

Team 4 Rackoholics check in.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:53 AM
Fork Horn

I leave thursday night for another trip to our Indiana property. The Gun season starts on Saturday but I plan on hunting with my bow from Friday until Sunday. If I havn't had any luck then I will switch to the 20 gauge.
Then its back to IL for their gun season. So its a busy week for me hopefully I can get it done with the bow in IN and get us some more points on the board.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Best of luck, Henson!
Old 11-12-2013, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

My last hunt of the year was successful. Shot a small 8 point. Will post pictures later tonight
Old 11-12-2013, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Way to go, rack! Can't wait to see/hear about it.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by RackLuster
My last hunt of the year was successful. Shot a small 8 point. Will post pictures later tonight
Way to go!
Old 11-13-2013, 04:49 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by RackLuster
Great job! Points are points and its meat for the freezer. Great job!
Old 11-13-2013, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Guys – I was way too tired last night to post pictures or score him. My guess is he’ll score between 80 and 85. Nothing to write home about but I’m thrilled. It’s my first deer on my new Wisconsin land. This was the craziest year of hunting ever for me. I had bucks in bow range at least 15 times (most over the last 2 weeks), probably 12 different bucks. The small bucks would give me a shot opportunity and every shooter would run past or somehow give me the slip. I was getting so frustrated. I was telling everyone it was the year of missed opportunities. The morning before I had a beautiful 130 class 10 point run past at 32 yards. He was in the open for a second. That was it. I have been working on food plots and everything else related to my land every weekend since the snow melted. over the past 2 weeks my land has been infested with deer. I've never seen anything like it. daytime pictures of shooters every morning and every night but they kept giving me the slip. I was so frustrated!! I NEEDED to get a buck this year.

Last night was my last bowhunt of the year. With all my frustration I was ready to shoot anything – doe, spike, fawn, cat, squirrel...ANYTHING! I had a 3 point come running past me full bore at 1pm and I tried to stop him. I thought to myself ‘what am I doing?’. Haha. I haven’t shot anything that small since my first bow hunting buck about 15 years ago.

At about 2pm (I was sitting all day) I saw a buck coming to the little food plot (40 yards off 2 acre plot) I was setup on. I had just moved to that stand at 1pm from the 2 acre plot. There’s 2 fresh scrapes on the edge of the plot. He very slowly made it to one scrape (no shot) and freshened it up. He moved very slowly and was extremely skittish. I was expecting him to go to the other, bigger, scrape and give me a perfect shot, but instead he turned back towards the thick stuff. One big branch blocked my shot the entire time he was in bow range. This was the most intense encounter with a deer I’ve ever had. He was within bow range for at least 15 minutes with me holding my bow and ready to pull back at any second. I had started pulling back 4 or 5 times as I thought he was going to step into the open. The scrape he freshened was about 7 yards from my stand and I was only 11 feet off the ground. He looked up at me about 5 times. Each time I thought that was it, he was going to bolt.

As he was walking away I drew figuring I had to find an opening in the pine branch to get a shot. I found a little opening and took the 15 yard shot. It was probably a risky shot but was the best shot I had at an 8 point or better all year. I absolutely drilled him. He fell in site, 5 yards from my atv trail and 10 yards from the 2 acre plot. It was this buck or tag sandwich for me so I was pretty pumped. I don’t think I’ve ever been so excited about shooting a deer. Funny too because I’ve only shot 2 bucks smaller than him w/ my bow.

I’ll get pictures posted tonight. Good luck the rest of the year guys. Make sure to sit all day if possible. Just about all the bucks I saw over the past 2 weeks were between 10am and 3pm. Saw 3 yesterday during that time.

By the way, my 10 year old son got a button buck on mn gun opener Saturday. He made a perfect 105 yard shot with my gun, out of range for his .30-30. Proud moment for me. My daughter will be trying for her first deer this coming Saturday. Then next 2 weekends are Wisconsin w/ the kids again. Hopefully we'll get one of the bigger bucks hanging around.

Sorry for the novel J
Old 11-13-2013, 02:04 PM
Fork Horn

Great story. I have been trying to hold out for a larger buck buck and I know if I take a smaller one one of my buddies that hunts our land will blow me some crap about wandering away from our managment strategy but it is getting crunch time and my freezer is getting emptier by the day. I may end up taking somthing in the 100" range if it presents a good shot. We will have to see.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

not sure i'll get to scoring him tonight but will try. I usually try to get nice pictures but I was in a pickle. I was alone and not allowed to bring the buck back to mn from chronic wasting infected Wisconsin. haha. so, I had to have some random guy at the registration place snap a couple pictures before dropping him off at the butcher. no grass around either. kind of annoyed by the picture but i'll get over it.

Last edited by RackLuster; 11-13-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:53 PM
Typical Buck

Rack Luster, good going! Sounds like you've been having a whale of a time. Like you, I've had good opportunities at the little guys but the big ones haven't cooperated appropriately. I'd sure be happy with a buck like that one; nicely done.

A hearty congratulations to your son, too, and good luck to your daughter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.