Community

Team 4 Rackoholics check in.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was going to hunt the corner of a corn field last night until I discovered the farmer still had a secluded bean field still standing. So I immediately opted to sit on the edge of the beans. There are no good trees to climb up around the edge of this field so I usually end up sitting on the ground in the grass and that is just what I did. I found a decent spot and knelt down. About a half hour went by and a young doe came out and fed briefly before walking down the hill and out of sight. Another half hour went by and all the sudden a doe came tearing out to the field, made a 20 yard circle and ran right back in the woods. I had a feeling there was some monkey business going on. I have seen this before. About five minutes went by and I thought sure I heard a faint buck grunt from the same direction. I sat there just waiting and staring in that direction and not more than two or three minutes went by and the doe popped out with the big boy only about five yards behind her. He came out and stopped and I knew then that I better try and take the shot because if he took a couple more steps I wouldn't have a shot. I let the arrow fly and it was not a good hit from my point of view. I could see the arrow dangling down and I was disgusted. I got up shortly after to retrieve my arrow. I took about ten steps and looked down the field in the direction he ran and saw something laying in the field. I thought it was just a tree or something. I looked through my binoculars and still couldn't tell, I walked another ten yards and still couldn't tell. I walked another 20 and it was finally looking like it could actually be the buck. I couldn't believe it when it actually was him. I am so grateful he didn't make it out of the field. If he would have made in into the tag alders that would have been very tough tracking because he didn't bleed much externally. I gutted him out and all the blood was internal.
This is my best buck with bow by far. He is a 9pt with a 17" spread and field dressed at 195#.
This is how he was when I walked up to him.

GOOD LUCK TEAM 4!
Old 10-23-2013, 06:11 PM
Typical Buck

WIbuckchaser, that is a mighty fine animal! And an exciting story to boot. Good choice of a place to set up and a great result in spite of your apprehension. Way to go!
Old 10-23-2013, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will wrap a tape around him tomorrow and get him submitted.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:18 AM
Fork Horn

Great story. and look at the G2's on that guy!!!! great buck
Old 10-24-2013, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great buck, and glad you were able to recover him quickly! From the looks of the first picture, it looks as though you may have hit the femoral artery on his right side...that'll kill them about as quickly as a single lung shot, if not quicker. When the heart runs out of blood to pump, they go ahead and die.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bible_Man
Great buck, and glad you were able to recover him quickly! From the looks of the first picture, it looks as though you may have hit the femoral artery on his right side...that'll kill them about as quickly as a single lung shot, if not quicker. When the heart runs out of blood to pump, they go ahead and die.
Yes you are exactly right on artery deal. Not happy about that shot but I will take it.
Hopefully I can bag a doe yet. I plan to take my video camera with me from now on so I can video the bucks. That's probably all I will see now that my buck tag is filled. Hopefully the rest of the team has as much luck as I did!

By the way I got my buck submitted to the score board. He taped out at 126.25".
Old 10-24-2013, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by RackLuster
I shoot a Mathews dxt. It's been a good bow, I've shot 15 deer with it so far. i'm ready to upgrade but haven't decided if i'm going to go w/ an xbow or not. i'll shoot a bow as long as I can though.

my season is going pretty crappy. on my mn land I have 2 spikes on my property and that is it for bucks. seriously. never seen anything like this in the 7 years I've owned the land. haven't seen a rub or a scrape. it doesn't help that the guy with 80 acres to the north of me shot 3 or 4 1.5 year old bucks last year. drives me nuts but it's his right.

in Wisconsin I have about a 95" 8 point hanging around daily and a couple smaller 8's and 7's. that's it there too. I've seen one rub there. last year was a bad year and I had pictures of about half a dozen bucks i'd be willing to shoot.

it's amazing how little buck sign I've seen this year. I've logged lots of miles on about 7 different pieces of private property and have seen a GRAND TOTAL of 3 rubs and no scrapes. I don't get it. 2 years ago I counted over a dozen rubs from one of my stands on October 9th! this year, I can't find any sign at all. I've actually hunted far less this year and spent way more time scouting just to try to find some buck sign. it's like it's august or something.
I have not seen a lot of buck sign either. I have been doing a lot of scouting too. I have been scouting and hunting a lot of lands that are in the Voluntary Public Access program. I have had a couple cams on some VPA land for like 4 weeks and still haven't gotten a decent sized buck on there. Maybe after this first little spurt of breeding ends they will go crazy with the scrapes for a week or so and then the big time seeking phase will kick in.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big10Hunter
Well not much deer hunting so far, but was successful on moose hunt:

Today was my first day in the deer woods and had a 6 and a 7 pointer walk with in range in the morning and a different 7 in the afternoon. I passed on all three. No does. Maybe better luck next week.
Very nice moose, Congrats!
Old 10-24-2013, 05:58 PM
Typical Buck

congrats, WIbuckchaser.... I just realized that we are on the same gun team as well... whoot whoot!
Old 10-24-2013, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Arjuna
congrats, WIbuckchaser.... I just realized that we are on the same gun team as well... whoot whoot!
Yep I noticed that a while ago. That's cool. I just wonder where everyone else is for that team?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.