Community

Returning Champs - Team Pass Thru - #7

Old 12-12-2013, 05:10 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by kellyguinn
Anyone still out in the woods? My season has been cut short thanks to the magic ice that pops outa no where to make ya slip and tear your achilles tendon....lol If your still out there here's wishin ya luck
Sorry to hear of your injury Kelly. Hope youre on the mend real soon. Take it easy brother.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:25 AM
Typical Buck

Five inches of fresh snow on the ground this morning. Its time for some spot & stalk with the recurve. Stay frosty yall.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:08 AM
Super Moderator

Anyone still out there? Thought I'd share what I did with my gun buck. I'm starting to get some leads out for some private land around the public land I hunt and if it all goes well I'll have permission for next year.

A couple doe and a buck or two and we can be right back in the hunt. Good luck
Old 12-24-2013, 06:23 AM
Typical Buck

Awesome Kelly, that mount looks great, congrats again brother.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks good Kelly. Merry Christmas to everyone!
Old 12-25-2013, 01:14 PM
Fork Horn

Merry Christmas guys!
Old 12-25-2013, 03:43 PM
Typical Buck

Happy Holidays yall!
Old 12-26-2013, 06:10 AM
Typical Buck

season comes back in the 1st here in NJ still got one nice one running around hopefully he comes in range, hope everyone had a good Christmas and have a happy new year.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:15 AM
Fork Horn

Hi Guys,
It looks like we need two bucks to be able to take the lead at this point. How many of you are hunting the late bow season? Our season ends the 12th of January in PA.
I'm heading out to Ohio for the MuzzleLoader season that starts on January 4th. I know there are still some big ones left out there so I have my fingers crossed.
Good Luck Guys!
Old 12-27-2013, 10:33 AM
Fork Horn

Hey guys! I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and is looking forward to 2014!

Well I have some catching up to do. On the morning of November 11th I was rattling and grunting blind after climbing a tree with my climber and clearing some limbs. I was in the east end of a hedgerow that splits two fields to the north and south. After beating the snot out of my rattle bag for 8 minutes straight, I faced south toward the tree I was in to get relief from the icy northwest wind we had that day. A buddy of mine who was hunting not too far away had texted me to say he shot a doe. I put my phone back in my pocket and glanced behind me to see a buck coming across the field with the wind from the Northwest. I quickly grabbed my bow from it's hanger, clamped my release on the string, and turned around. He walked a steady pace right to the corner of the field and stopped 5 yards right in front of me quartered toward me looking into the brush to my right. His rack looked thick and wide and it seemed like I could see his muscles under his hide as he was riled up for a fight with his neck swelled. He started to sniff the air and I started to panic as I feared he was winding me and my shot would disappear. I placed my pin at the back edge of his shoulder blade and prayed that Montec on the end of my Easton FMJ would blow through him as I punched the trigger. I was immediatly filled with a feeling of "what went wrong!?" as I watched my arrow only penetrate about 10" as about 19" was sticking out of his back!!! He instantly curled 180 degreees and bounded 10 yards at a time back over his tracks toward the northwest.
I knew right where he was going. On the other side of the field about 60 yards through muck and cattails was a pond at the bottom of a ridge. Every deer I've shot at this location has run for it. I started calling my hunting buddies to share the excitement of the shot with the plan to go into work and let the buck alone. It was in one of these phone calls that I was reminded of the rising temperatures with heavy rain forecasted for the late afternoon. I waited about 45 minutes and started to follow the trail. I found my arrow broken with dark blood up the shaft. I moved slowly and carefully through the brush as I approached the pond. I had lost the trail but was walking a major deer run and as I reached the base of the hill to the southwest side of the pond, I felt something looking at me. I looked toward the pond and there he was standing in the middle of a wind-fall. He was only 30 yards from me standing broadside. I slowly knocked an arrow but needed to take one large step to the north to get a shot. I took a step watching him out of the corner of my eye, I drew my bow as my heart was beating in my throat, I turned my shoulders to start the 90 degree pivot required for the shot as he bolted around the south edge of the pond and dissapeared through the woods ruunning northeast.
My hunting buddy showed up about ten minutes later and helped me look for blood as I'm color blind. He found only a drop here and there. We looked for about an hour when he said he was headed back to the 4-wheeler. I told him I wanted to take a look in the woods to the north of the field and would meet him back at the truck. As I walked east through the woods I saw a glimpse of him running into the next field north. He was now running straight away from me and I could see his rack was as wide as his shoulders. He cut left into the hedgerow and I started running through the swampy water in the woods to get a look at the next field west, hoping he wouldn't cross as there are three gullies that are full of thicket on the other side. I wiped out tripping over a log and fell in swamp water and quickly sprang back to my feet. When I got to the field I didn't see him...Did he beat me and already cross? Is he laying in the hedgerow? I finally decided to back out and go to work.
Another buddy met me at work about 3:00 and we went back out to the hedgerow I last saw him. His track was easy to follow as it was about 4" wide, 8" long and heavy sinking deep into the mud. About 40 yards from where I last saw him, he jumped up from another windfall and ran away with a smaller buck and a doe. I couldn't believe he was still alive. I would search every day that week without a sign. Finally, on December 7th, I found him laying right near a trail about 80 yards from where I last saw him. I haven't scored him yet but I will soon and get him on the score board.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.