Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2012 Turkey Contests
Team 10  Long Beard Assassins >

Team 10 Long Beard Assassins

Community

Team 10 Long Beard Assassins

Old 04-20-2012, 03:41 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by IBHUN10
Congrats on the bird sdhunter11!! I would like to try and shoot a turkey this year with my bow...but the shotgun is going along also!!
I dont think there is much difference in range between a bow and a shotgun as long as you are accurate with a bow. I have never hunted them with a shotgun though. Hunting anything with a bow is so much more of a rush for me. I feel comfortable out to 50 yards with my broadheads but i like getting them close and personal.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:51 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sdhunter11
i did step on the bathroom scale with him last night and came up with 17lbs 3 oz but i didnt know if that was accurate enough???

Close enough I will get him entered in the scoring thread.

Also congrats on a nice bird!!!!
Old 04-21-2012, 03:04 PM
Fork Horn

sdhunter11

I got your turkey scored and entering in the scoring thread.

His is you score.....

Your score is 17.1875 + 11.25 + 11.25 + 17.25 = 56.9375
Old 04-21-2012, 05:27 PM
Typical Buck

thanks steve, i hope between kelly and i we are off to a decent start. I still got 1 more bird to get and there seems to be some new toms moving in that are bigger than the one i got so maybe with any luck i can top that score.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats sdhunter11 !!

Nice tom you got yourself.. I am glad to see some breaking of the ice to get our team up on the board.. I can hardly wait for our season to start here.. I was talking to the guy with the blueberry field that I can hunt this year. In his own words he stated that there is a big male with a group of females that he is seeing right now out there.. I am planning on taking a ride out tomorrow to see exactly where they are coming out into the field..
Old 04-21-2012, 07:37 PM
Typical Buck

i wonder what a blueberry field looks like. I need to get away from all this corn and sunflowers lol.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by sdhunter11
i wonder what a blueberry field looks like. I need to get away from all this corn and sunflowers lol.
Corn and sunflowers prolly grows heavier birds.. LOL But. for me to get to a cornfield that I have permission to hunt would take someplace around 2 and a half hours driving time. Even then with you day starting a day earlier they would have already been hunted..

The blueberry field I am planning on hunting will not be getting hunted so I should be shining on that one.. I will try to post a couple of pics of it.. On the back end of it ( about a mile down in ) Is around an acre of a moved field that looks pretty promising. I will take my blind out maybe this Thursday afternoon to get ready for it.

This what it looks like as you start to turn down into this place. You can not see his house from the tar road at all.

This is another section of the blueberry fields and the pic does no justice for it. This section is a 2 yearold burn that they will be raking in August after the beries are grown.. Also a small stream runs beside this one. There is another small stream that runs across the back of it that joins onto each other down in back.. They say they can hear the turkeys almost every night from thier house so they must be roosting nearby..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 04-22-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Well the normally good public land didn't pan out this year. I had a couple jakes come running to call first thing on the first morning. I got some video of them on my phone but chose not to shoot. After that I didn't get a thing to come in the rest of the weekend.

I talked to the Wildlife officer and he said that the breeding is basically over. He said they have been henned up since the first of March with the warmer than usual weather. So the guys that made it up there opening weekend may have pushed the roosts off of the public. I heard gobbling every morning but nothing would come over to my side of the fence.

I still have 2 weekends of the season and hopefully I'll get another chance to get after them.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:31 PM
Typical Buck

been keeping tabs on my flock the last three days and it doesnt look so good either. Every day for the past 3 days they have been venturing further east down the creek seeming not caring about where they roost. And now this evening i couldnt even find a turkey roosting anywhere or gobbling. I am the only one hunting these birds so i am kinda scratching my head on why they decided to move.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

Ohio season opening up tomorrow. I won't be able to get out until Saturday unfortunately, but then it's on!
-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.