Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2012 Turkey Contests
Team 10  Long Beard Assassins >

Team 10 Long Beard Assassins

Community

Team 10 Long Beard Assassins

Old 04-10-2012, 04:48 AM
Spike

Nope I gotta wait till the 30th just like you Phil, wish they would start the season a week or two early but the ifw would never do that.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:18 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
I wish I could hunt evenings or afternoons here, but that is not allowed.. For me all hunting ends at 12 noon..

Is any one hunting right now besides Steve? We would love to see some birds getting posted. We need to see if some one can get our team up on the score board..
My season doesn't start until the 16th of April. We have been doing youth hunts the past 2 weekends, with no luck.

As of right now the weather shows 4 straight days of rain and thunderstorms from the 16th-19th with cooler temps.

So unless the weather man is wrong, which they are quite often, I won't be going until the rain stops.

I too am wondering if there is anyone hunting right now and what are the seeing happening as far a breeding and the amount of turkeys they are seeing.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sorry Steve I bad.. I never realized that.. We only have a 1 day youth hunt and then after that we all can hunt.. I hope your daughter is able to get one though..

I am on vacation the first week of our season so I am hoping for the best.. They have started breeding in my area Easter Sunday for sure. I have tried a couple of areas to call them and nothing responding. On Easter day though they were answering almost anything you could throw at them.. I am not sure what gives although I am hoping our weather is holding them back some..
Old 04-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

Phil glad to hear that they are at least being talkative with you.

I think during the Missouri youth season March 31- April 1st they where going at pretty hard as far as breeding. I talked to several people I knew that took a youth hunting and alot of them where successful in harvesting a turkey and most all them said they heard plenty of gobbling just none of it panned out for them.

They where running a logging operation where I usually turkey hunt and I think that is why we only heard a couple of turkeys that weekend.

Then, last weekends youth hunt in Arkansas the turkeys where gobbled very little. I talked to 4 other people it was the same answer they gobbled once or twice on roost and they shut up.

We think they may be in that 1-2 week lull where they aren't breeding much until the 2nd round of breeding starts. At least that is what we are hoping!!! Missouri sets there regular spring turkey season to come during the 2nd breeding period.

Good luck everyone!!

Last edited by steve25; 04-10-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

I've been seeing some nice ones around. Especially in PA. couple more weeks till the action starts!
-Jake
Old 04-11-2012, 03:46 AM
Super Moderator

My season started on the 6th here. Got out Friday and Saturday. Had a few talking back Friday but nothing Sat. Seen 6 or 7 birds but all were jakes. This is on private land pretty close to the house. The only downside is there was a lot of hens out on nests.

Im gonna head out to the public land where there a few more birds here in 2 weeks. Hopefully it will be a little better. Good Luck
Old 04-13-2012, 05:16 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

First if 8 tags goes unfilled. I hunted 4 of the 5 days. All new areas. Had a few encounters, but Shawnee is thick stuff and hard to say how many birds were around. They were not gobbling well at all. Really just one morning. Other than that occasional. Did pass on a jake yesterday morning. I stalked and flushed him out of some grass at 10 yards! Haha. Even had a bead on him flying out, but didn't feel like picking 30 BB's out of his breast!

My next hunt isn't for 12 more days. That will be at Lowden-Miller State Forest in northern Illinois.

Good luck to all. Be safe out there.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good Luck with them Zim !! I took a short ride this morning after working last night and saw only 1 tom and 8 or 9 jakes all strutting. They were gobbling up a storm when I tried calling them. One of the jakes was quite large for a jake and although I tried to get a closer look at him he wouldn't let me. All I could see was a short beard though. My season will not be open until April 30th as the first day. It is already looking like it is going to be a tough hunt. I will be finding out then though.

Good Luck everyone..
Old 04-13-2012, 12:06 PM
Fork Horn

Monday can't get here soon enough!!!!

The weather for Monday our season opener is iffy but after that it looks like we got some great weather for turkey hunting for 5-6 days.

I know the weather forecast is always subject to change but it looks very promising!!!
Old 04-14-2012, 04:59 AM
Super Moderator

Just shot a Jake. Still have 2 tags so hopefully get something better. It has been tiff all we have seen is Jakes. Couldn't pass the opportunity.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.