Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2012 Turkey Contests
Team 10  Long Beard Assassins >

Team 10 Long Beard Assassins

Community

Team 10 Long Beard Assassins

Old 04-04-2012, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

JCarver81 has been added to your team
Old 04-04-2012, 02:27 PM
Spike

Hey Guys checking in here from Maine, my season starts April 28th and I'm taking the whole first week off. It will be my first season hunting turkey with the bow so I'm pumped. Shot two nice birds last year and I've been scouting everyday after school for the last 2 weeks. There's a lot of birds around and they've been gobbling there heads off lately.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Welcome to the team and good luck to you on your turkey hunting..

You are quite aways south of me and up this way the turkeys are still flocked to gether for the most part. They are getting ready though but still not answering calls very good. I am sure they will be within a week no problem though..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 04-05-2012 at 02:11 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:03 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Anybody trying this new Sawyer tick repellant? Well I think it's new. Anyway I was at Bass Pro Bolingbrook and got the last 2 cans. Whole display was empty, both sizes. The DeepWoods Off Deet shelf was full. I saw a grood thread on AT about Sawyer. Seemed like good reviews.

Anybody else on Team 10 HATE TICKS!?!

Last edited by Zim; 04-06-2012 at 05:02 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am pretty lucky up this way.. Not much in line of deer ticks although we do have dog ticks and I use the Deep Woods Off.

I guess I need to revise this one as well.. After getting back from checking my trailcam I got bit by one this evening. We have not had them in this area before. I guess our mild winter is going to help bring them here as well. Now I am not sure what exactly to use on them.

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 04-08-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:05 AM
Fork Horn

Went for a ride this morn to check things out and the turkeys were out and about. Checkd the field that I had checked earlier and the 2 Toms look to be "good" ones. They were alot farther away this time from the area that I glassed them but good to know that they are mature birds. The farmer told me this morn he heard the turkeys gobbling behind is barn also so may have to check that out and see if there is any good spots to set up there..
Old 04-07-2012, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

Welcome to the team JCarver81!!!

Hope you have a great season!!

Today my daughter and I went out on the youth hunt in AR. and we seen hens in the morning and afternoon but no gobblers.

They gobbled on roost about 2 times and hit the ground and nothing. We only got one bird to gobble when he was on the ground about 8:30 and that was it we went in his direction but he never made another sound. It was like you turned a light switch off. I had a friend taking another youth hunter in a spot about 20 miles from us and it was the same for them almost to a tee. The gobble once or twice and they seen hens but the gobblers would not show for them either.

My daughter and I seen probably 8 hens total but the gobblers where a no show.

Only thing that there was plenty of was ticks, we sprayed down but I guess not enough.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sorry to hear your daughter or you have had no success on the turkeys yet. Keep at them! Sure sounds like they are about done breeding down your way.. Good luck with those gobblers..

Up here I called Friday morning for a little while and recieved one responce from a gobbler that was it. I can not hunt them until April 30th but wanted to see if any would respond yet. For the most part the birds are still flocked up right now and it is snowing out today.. So our weather is going to be more like a normal April week this week. That will keep the toms from breeding early.

Up date... The turkeys have started breeding up here. I went to check on my trailcam and while driving down a dirt road I saw 2 toms fighting. They were with 3 hens so, the flocks have started breaking up.. I was able to see 5 hens with 2 jakes afterwards and in another area while driving back saw 3 jakes running across the tar road. I stopped and mouth cluck, cluck, cluck and all 3 responded.. This is almost a full month early for us!! So I will be in for some hard hunting during May..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 04-08-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:52 AM
Fork Horn

Hey guys, Just giving an update. Things are not looking good for me here in Indiana. I saw three groups of birds last weekend all with strutting toms in the group. My season does not start for another three weeks. Im afraid the breading is going to be over and the birds will be hard to hunt by the time the season comes.

One positive I have an area where the birds are roosting every evening now and it would be a great set up for an evening hunt. I have sen up to 9 hens there at one time so hopefully there is a tom with them. I saw one in the area on saturday.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

I wish I could hunt evenings or afternoons here, but that is not allowed.. For me all hunting ends at 12 noon..

Is any one hunting right now besides Steve? We would love to see some birds getting posted. We need to see if some one can get our team up on the score board..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.