Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2012 Turkey Contests
Team 10  Long Beard Assassins >

Team 10 Long Beard Assassins

Community

Team 10 Long Beard Assassins

Old 03-26-2012, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

Took a drive around the hunting area in PA on the motorcycle. Saw a lot of turkeys out. Alot of fans spread out too. Season is still a few weeks out. But looks like the turkeys are there. I'm getting excited.
-Jake
Old 03-27-2012, 10:55 AM
Fork Horn

Just giving everyone a heads up.

I will be out of town from Thurs. to Sunday, It is our youth season and I am taking my daugther Turkey Hunting Sat. and Sun.

If the weather is going to be bad we most likely will not go. I will post if I will be gone or not on Thurs morning.

So if anyone takes a Turkey I will get it in the scoring thread Sunday night or Monday.

Good luck everyone!!!
Old 03-29-2012, 04:15 PM
Fork Horn

Well decided to go check one of my spots out this evening about 6:30pm. Looks to be good as it is a cut cornfield right now. I didn't see any by eye so grabbed the binoculars and started scanning the field and BAAAM!! there was two real nice gobblers out roaming around. I saw the beards on the two just for a split second and over the hill they went so there could have been possibly more. They were alonggg way away also so no idea how good they are for sure but better than nuttin!! So i continue to the end of the road and in the valley of the hay field there was 18 more turkeys alot closer to me and after scoping them out appears to be 7 jakes in that group so there are 20 turkeys in the area for sure. Start'n to get a little '"turkey excitement" in the blood now!!
Old 03-30-2012, 01:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

That is basically all I am seeing with the hens right now.. Just the jakes but that will be changing once they start breaking up to breed..
Old 03-30-2012, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

I will be around all weekend other than in the mornings.

My dad just got back from crappie fishing for 3 days over at Kentucky lake and said he did not hear one gooble and seen turkeys out in the feilds all day long and they where still bunched up so maybe this warm weather hasn't gotten them started too early.

He did see 2 gobblers fanned out facing each other but they never did go at each other and that was the only 2 he saw that where fanned out.

Sounds like next year I am going to have to look into hunting over in kentucky, I have a friend that has family near kentucky lake so it could work out depending on the price of tags and season dates.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:15 PM
Fork Horn

Took my daughter hunting this morning and we got a big goose egg.

This was my first trip to where I hunting and I turned on the forest road only to see a sign that said "Caution Logging Operation Ahead" and I knew right then it wasn't going to be a good day. Another person there for the youth hunt said they have been logging 5-6 days a week.

We heard 3 birds none would work.

So it will be off to new hunting ground for me this year. I already have one place that I have been to a few times in the past and I always heard birds there and I am going to try 2 new areas if that doesn't seem to be panning out.

So this year for me will be a learning experience which is not really a bad thing, I might find some better hunting. I am going to try and stay positive!!!!
Old 04-01-2012, 05:51 PM
Typical Buck

FINALLY, the turkeys are starting to show here, usually in the winter the turkeys gather in around this farm i hunt, but this was such a mild winter and the turkeys never showed. But after driving out there a couple of hours ago it once again showed signs of life. There was about 35 turkeys on their way to roost and 10 of them were strutting gobblers so maybe they have finally come to stay awhile.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:34 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

My season begins Monday in the southern tip of Illinois, Pope County. Hunting a public property. I ended up with a total of 8 turkey tags this year. 3 in Illinois, 5 in Wisconsin. Some overlap. They are cheap and I wanted the flexibility.

Watch out for ticks guys. Should be a bad year due to the early warm temps. I'll probably be draggin my blind around due to this. Spray down good and tuck your pants in your boots.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Took a ride up across the pipeline checking it out.. I saw 19 deer on the way and 9 which were all different deer on the way back. Also saw 3 hens in one area and then a flock of around twenty or so with at least 3 decent size bearded birds.. They were strutting and facing each other off when I first saw them. They did not respond on my calling but then again they saw me.

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 04-04-2012 at 02:23 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would not be giving up Steve.. Here they log all the time and we still succeed if they have not all ready been bred. They love to run and hide in those branches and tops left behind. They also get used to those trucks going by them.. Then once they start growing the hunting gets a little harder because of some of the thick under brush.. They appear to love those cuttings just the same..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.