Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2012 Turkey Contests
Team 10  Long Beard Assassins >

Team 10 Long Beard Assassins

Team 10 Long Beard Assassins

Old 03-17-2012, 09:23 AM
Typical Buck

avatar looks great. Well it seems all the turkeys have dissapeared around here, have been checking out 4 different farms almost on a daily basis and all the turkeys have split up and moved on into parts unknown so i dont know what to do now.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Zim has been added to your team.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:58 PM
Fork Horn

Missed a nice one yesterday at 11:00 AM. About a 10" beard, 35 yards out. It hung up on my decoy & started getting nervous, so I let him have it, but he just turned around & walked away. I guess my vintage 1978 Ithica 37 doesn't have the range that I thought, or my estimation of yardage was wrong. My last turkey did the flop dance, this one just walked away. Instead of trading up to a 3.5" supermag, I think I'll try to call him a little closer next week. The good news is I wacked a couple of hogs that afternoon, so the freezer will be filled regardless...
Old 03-18-2012, 07:54 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by richwrench
Missed a nice one yesterday at 11:00 AM. About a 10" beard, 35 yards out. It hung up on my decoy & started getting nervous, so I let him have it, but he just turned around & walked away. I guess my vintage 1978 Ithica 37 doesn't have the range that I thought, or my estimation of yardage was wrong. My last turkey did the flop dance, this one just walked away. Instead of trading up to a 3.5" supermag, I think I'll try to call him a little closer next week. The good news is I wacked a couple of hogs that afternoon, so the freezer will be filled regardless...
Happens to the best of us. I know it has happened to me.

I have never had any luck getting a good pattern out of a 3.5" shell. My 3" 870 always has a better pattern that the guns that I tried the 3.5".

If you would like long range knock down power get you some Hevi-Shot Mag. Blend they are a combo of 5, 6 and 7 shot and are completely devistating out my 870 12ga and for that matter every gun I have tried the Hevi-shot in with a good choke has put up great patterns.

One thing I will says is the Mag. Blend will knock the @#$$ out of you when you shoot them. I have a box of #7's and they have the same powder charge but don't kick as bad.

My 870 has a Jellyhead choke tube and I done some shooting to 45yrds and to say the least I could see this combo giving me a 60yrd shoot and not really have any doubt that the bird would be floppin'.....

I will not shoot that far but it is nice to know that it patterns good out to there.

Hevi- shot is about $5.00 a shot but once you pattern them and next time you shoot will be at a bird and to me considering all the money I spend on calls, gas ect. $5.00 is cheap.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Missed a nice one yesterday at 11:00 AM. About a 10" beard, 35 yards out. It hung up on my decoy & started getting nervous, so I let him have it, but he just turned around & walked away.
Sorry to hear you missed one.. Hopefully it did not scare him so bad it travels to far away.. I am glad to hear the news you shot a couple of hogs though. They have got be to very distructive.

I also recieved word yesterday that I can hunt a private blue berry field that has a flock of turkeys hanging around it. It runs a good mile back of the road. I just hope our weather will not have them all breeding early.. Good luck to all those who has their hunting season open right now..
Old 03-19-2012, 11:31 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Late sign-up checking in.

Have not read the rules yet. I have 3 Illinois tags (4/9-13, two 4/26-5/2)and 3 Wisconsin tags (4/25-5/1, 5/2-5/8, 5/9-5/15). These are all public land. If I'm only supposed to pick one for the contest I'd likely go with the first IL hunt.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:37 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Zim
Late sign-up checking in.

Have not read the rules yet. I have 3 Illinois tags (4/9-13, two 4/26-5/2)and 3 Wisconsin tags (4/25-5/1, 5/2-5/8, 5/9-5/15). These are all public land. If I'm only supposed to pick one for the contest I'd likely go with the first IL hunt.
You don't have to pick one for the contest!!!

Post all turkey's harvested. The best bird will be used for the scoring of one bird per person on each team contest this is the main contest.

A total of ALL turkeys havested by a team is another part of the contest.

Also best turkey by species.

Welcome to the team!!!!
Old 03-20-2012, 05:37 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

OK, Ya I read the rules so I'm all set. I work for USPS inspecting post offices for building repairs across Illinois & Wisconsin, so I work in hunting/fishing with my travels. I have a pile of inspections in the better turkey areas of each state this year, so I should do well. Likely can't use a couple of my permits due to overlap, but should get a solid 4 weeks of quality hunting.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the team Zim...

Been out of town for a bit doing a little spoonbill fishin. Did see a few groups of birds while out. it looks like the groups are starting to split up a bit here too. We have had quite a bit of rain the last few days though so hopefully it will slow em down a bit.

Rich, every one of us misses every now an then. He'll be back..
Old 03-22-2012, 04:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Welcome to the team Zim..

I hope you have some good luck during your season as well.. As Steve suggested post all your birds wether it be a jake or a large tom makes no difference..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.