Community

Team 6 Roost Raiders

Old 04-08-2012, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, so far I am not able to help the team out. Hearing birds on neighboring property but I just cannot get them to cross the fence. Next weekend I can take the shotgun though so I may be getting a little more aggressive with them.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:36 PM
Typical Buck

When I have a tom that wont come to me I move 50 ft. or so closer and get aggressive, works very well on Merriam's here, I call em off private property all the time.
Good luck!
Old 04-10-2012, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

Did some recon this past weekend on a couple of places I hunt. My parents' farm join 300 acres that I hunt, so it was a pretty easy scout. Heard several birds on roost right as day broke. One bird continued to hammer while on the ground in our pature field. So, I made the short little drive over to see what he was in a fuss about. He was with a lone hen in a very familiar area of the field for me. This spot has yielded a bird on opening morning for me three years running. I hope that the good Lord shines down on me once again this year and allows me to keep the streak going. I will report back this weekend to let you guys know how things turn out.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck jondoe! Hoping for your streak to continue for ya!
Old 04-15-2012, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default looking pretty good....

The owner of the property I hunt had a big strutter in his pasture yesterday. By the time I got out there to look at him he was gone. I was beside the fire pit & hit the pushpull call a couple times and did hear some cutting. No return gobbles though. Didn't want to spook them with a call. Besides, our season isn't in till the 25th. I know where they are roosting part of the time and I now know eactly where the hens have their nests. It is on a separate property. It looks like I may have to do some stalking not sure yet. It's pretty grown up back there already, so I may just hide in some brush pile / tree tops, where they logged several years ago. Either way, chances appear good to fill a tag this spring. I told my buddy to quite scaring them turkeys. It could be a good or bad thing being so green already. Good to hide in but it will make it harder to see the turkeys as well as judge range. I'm thinking they will come in close because of this and may be easy to overshoot them. Good luck everyone!
Old 04-15-2012, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Huge thunderstorms last night but still got out this morning. Field was worked up by the farmer and just stunk of fertilizer. All that plus 30 mph winds. And I didn't hear a peep. Got some trail cams up though so it wasn't a total waste of time.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:44 AM
Typical Buck

Well I hunted a river here for Rios, no turkeys, lots of hunters, and a suv full of teens so needles to say I left. Sunday I hunted the mtns for Merriam's, wind and snow all night and in the am so we ( my daughter and I) hunted the afternoon when the sun came out. I had a gobbler responding but he was not interested and hend up, so next hunt in a week or so.

Last edited by RockyMtnGobblers; 04-17-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Was out mushroom hunting the property I hunt. Alot of people in the neighboring woods on both sides of me. Hopefully this won't hurt the hunting. Shrooms should be coming close to the end of their run by opening day (25th). I did hear some turkeys though they sounded pretty far off. Buddy seen a gobbler right on the trail yesterday. Man I can't wait for this. I've never hunted them, this is my first year and it is as bad as having buck fever!! Still deciding whether to post up in some blowdowns / brush piles or use a blind. I have 3 different blinds, so I can leave them set up and move them around as needed.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:01 PM
Fork Horn

Team, my streak ended this year. No bird opening morning for me. As a matter of fact, I still find myself being birdless. This is the worst start to a season that I can remember in several years. Blew the only shot I had on a mature bird Friday morning with a swing and a miss. This was chalked up to the simple fact of bird too close, gun too tight. We still have two full weeks left though. The wife and I will head out tomorrow to give it one last try before going back to work on Monday.

Good luck to all my other teammates! Pick up my slack please!
Old 04-22-2012, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

After a rough start I managed to get this Jake in my sights. 3 1/2 inch beard and 1/4 inch spurs. I think I'm going to wait and post this on the board to see if I get a tom. Finally the white stripe is off my back!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.