Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2012 Turkey Contests
2012 HNI Spring Turkey Contest Champions Team 4 Beard Bandits >

2012 HNI Spring Turkey Contest Champions Team 4 Beard Bandits

Community

2012 HNI Spring Turkey Contest Champions Team 4 Beard Bandits

Old 04-22-2012, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats EFH nice hooks....couple more days for us here in indiana....will be hunting saturday morning at latest..
Old 04-22-2012, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's how you do it EFH, nice hooks bud. Did he gobble any? I went today thinking this wind would have them out in the field for once, but again I didn't hear or see anything. Didn't get to cut my fields either, pops had the tractor key in his truck and I didn't have time to go back after I found that out. The crappy season continues. Now it's time to put together a pack and play.......joy!

Congrats again EFH!
Old 04-22-2012, 01:07 PM
Fork Horn

Good going EFH!
Old 04-22-2012, 01:35 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

Thanks guys!!

Hey SS, he didn't gobble at all! Got in the woods Friday and walked up on one I heard drumming! Long story short, I ended up bumping that bird about 20min later and then got on another! Now I didn't get in the woods until 3:45 so it's really going good so far. Well the second bird also had hens so I opted to try and cut him off. Well it worked but he worked the field edge just out of what I thought was dead bird range! Oops!! Well he flew then walked off, never new what happened.
Saturday I didn't hear a bird. I hoped to get on the one I bumped but it never talked. About 9:45 I was moving to another spot and started hearing drumming! CLOSE!! Wow, 2 days in a row are you kiddin me! I eased up against a tree and yelped soft and scratched the leaves, and here comes a hen. She got nervous and left and he kept drumming. I could hear hens with him so I didn't call anymore in fear they would lead him away. Finally they started easing off, thank god because l picked the most uncomfortable tree to sit by. I took my vest off and started crawling towards the birds. The woods were damp from rain so you could slip quiet. I stayed with them for about 150yds, until they went under a hill. Then I could see the top of the back of his fan, then a white head, then fan again!! I got up on my knees, and when he broke strutt again I popped his head at 28 steps!!!!
They did gobble good this morning, think the cool snap had em fired up! Got about 80yds to one one the roost, but fog rolled in. He didn't fly down until after 8 and he had gobbled up every hen in the woods by then!
Old 04-22-2012, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by EFH
Thanks guys!!

Hey SS, he didn't gobble at all! Got in the woods Friday and walked up on one I heard drumming! Long story short, I ended up bumping that bird about 20min later and then got on another! Now I didn't get in the woods until 3:45 so it's really going good so far. Well the second bird also had hens so I opted to try and cut him off. Well it worked but he worked the field edge just out of what I thought was dead bird range! Oops!! Well he flew then walked off, never new what happened.
Saturday I didn't hear a bird. I hoped to get on the one I bumped but it never talked. About 9:45 I was moving to another spot and started hearing drumming! CLOSE!! Wow, 2 days in a row are you kiddin me! I eased up against a tree and yelped soft and scratched the leaves, and here comes a hen. She got nervous and left and he kept drumming. I could hear hens with him so I didn't call anymore in fear they would lead him away. Finally they started easing off, thank god because l picked the most uncomfortable tree to sit by. I took my vest off and started crawling towards the birds. The woods were damp from rain so you could slip quiet. I stayed with them for about 150yds, until they went under a hill. Then I could see the top of the back of his fan, then a white head, then fan again!! I got up on my knees, and when he broke strutt again I popped his head at 28 steps!!!!
They did gobble good this morning, think the cool snap had em fired up! Got about 80yds to one one the roost, but fog rolled in. He didn't fly down until after 8 and he had gobbled up every hen in the woods by then!
Have they been gobbling pretty consistently all season for you, or was there a couple weeks of silence in early to mid April like usual? Mine used to pick back up around the last week of April so I'm hoping to be there when they start back up soon. Is today the first day you've heard gobbling in a while?
Old 04-23-2012, 02:22 AM
EFH
Typical Buck

SS, I have not heard a bird gobble in 2 weeks. That's the first birds I've heard since I was there last time. Every Tom I saw had hens, so it's far from over. The land I'm hunting near home has a ton of sign, just can't find the dang birds! Ive set up on strut zones and waited, and roamed around trying to strike one up.....nothing! Makes me feel like I'm a kid hunting again! Hahaha!!! One more weekend and I'll have to tip my hat to em!
Old 04-23-2012, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by EFH
SS, I have not heard a bird gobble in 2 weeks. That's the first birds I've heard since I was there last time. Every Tom I saw had hens, so it's far from over. The land I'm hunting near home has a ton of sign, just can't find the dang birds! Ive set up on strut zones and waited, and roamed around trying to strike one up.....nothing! Makes me feel like I'm a kid hunting again! Hahaha!!! One more weekend and I'll have to tip my hat to em!
I think I may have to try it in the morning before work. Weather looks good, just gonna be cold. Clear skies, little wind, and pressure's going up. Hopefully I'll catch one hammering on the limb.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

Ok back from Missouri and double killed with my buddy. I will post pics tomorrow and get EFH's bird scored. Right now Im sick. But im hunting in the morning here in Indiana.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:41 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

Arrow, that's what I'm talkin about bud!! Gettin it done! Hope you get to feeling better and ain't coughing in the turkey woods! Lol! Know what you mean about going anyway, been in the turkey woods when I was to sick to work!
I know a few of you are fired up about season starting. This is our last weekend, so I wish my northern teammates much luck and hope yall bust some heads!!
On the bright side, I may have a new track of unhunted land to roam around on one day this week. We'll have to see how that pans out though, if it sounds to good to be true.....
Old 04-24-2012, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Called the land owner last night...he informed me the neighbor called him and wanted to hunt on his land..cause he seen the biggest turkey he has ever seen...land owner told him i have the rights first...went there this morning located the bird and slipped out unknown never even seen him and didnt want to push it.....off 2moro...hope i can get him when he hits the ground

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.