Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2012 Turkey Contests
2012 HNI Spring Turkey Contest Champions Team 4 Beard Bandits >

2012 HNI Spring Turkey Contest Champions Team 4 Beard Bandits

2012 HNI Spring Turkey Contest Champions Team 4 Beard Bandits

Old 03-24-2012, 02:32 AM
Typical Buck

Sam Murphy is on the Lamar/Marion county line just out of Hamilton. There are some birds there but the place has gone down in my opinion in quality. They have lost some land and there has been quite a bit of logging that has opened up the place.

Seeing as it is only an hour drive from the house it makes it the closest WMA for us N. Alabama folks to hunt from March 15 -April 1.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:35 AM
Typical Buck

Hey EFH, will you be hunting Lauderdale WMA? I've heard some good reports on numbers this year. Might see you there.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:03 AM
EFH
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bald9eagle
Hey EFH, will you be hunting Lauderdale WMA? I've heard some good reports on numbers this year. Might see you there.
I will be hunting a private track of land in Waterloo. Lots of birds around there, good luck!
Old 03-24-2012, 11:15 AM
EFH
Typical Buck

Well we got on birds this morning! Called 2 in off the roost from abot 300yds only to hang up about 70. I waited till they walked off and backed up a little piece, leaving my friend there, and called again. They came right back in on a string, gobbling GOOD! They were hot for sure. I could hear them drumming and just knew at any minuet he was going to take his first bird........nothing! Finally they eased off again and I walked back up to see what happened. He was shook up and said they hung at 50yds!!! Lol!! Wish I would have been there to tell him to shoot! We couldn't get on them again so we backed out and he's going back tomorrow. It was a fun morning in the woods anyways, lots of gobbling, what more could you ask for.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:17 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats Kenny,That a nice Osceola.You are on books. I am going to Nebraska Wednesday.I hope I kill the frist day.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

That a way Kenny! Good work man. I've still yet to get on one good. Went to my place yesterday and heard 1 turkey gobble 1 time. When we got close enough to where we thought he was, he never made another sound. We hung around til about 9 then went to Chocolocco WMA in cleburne county. By the time we got there the wind was whipping and we couldn't hear a thing. I went to Tuskegee national forest this morning and didn't see or hear anything. I remember a time when I could go to my place and hear at least a handful of birds gobbling their heads off. They would respond to calls and were a lot of fun to hunt. I just can't seem to find any place like that anymore. Very boring hunting. These precious days I have taken off aren't paying off. It's just nothing like it used to be for some reason.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:29 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SouthernStrut56
That a way Kenny! Good work man. I've still yet to get on one good. Went to my place yesterday and heard 1 turkey gobble 1 time. When we got close enough to where we thought he was, he never made another sound. We hung around til about 9 then went to Chocolocco WMA in cleburne county. By the time we got there the wind was whipping and we couldn't hear a thing. I went to Tuskegee national forest this morning and didn't see or hear anything. I remember a time when I could go to my place and hear at least a handful of birds gobbling their heads off. They would respond to calls and were a lot of fun to hunt. I just can't seem to find any place like that anymore. Very boring hunting. These precious days I have taken off aren't paying off. It's just nothing like it used to be for some reason.

I'm hearing just the opposite here. From everything I've heard it looks like 2010 was a good hatch. I've heard that the bird numbers at Waterloo appear to be as high as they have been in 10 years. Also hearing good things out of Freedom Hills and Oakmulgee.

With the warm, dry spring we are having 2014 is setting up to be a phenomenal season.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:18 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

Hey guys, had a great hunt today! We had a slow start and could t get on birds this morning so we headed out about lunch. We drove to my property, got there at 1 and at 2:30 my good friend got to down his FIRST bird!! He was a great bird, 21lbs, 11"beard,
1 1/8" and 15/16" spurs! He's hooked for sure now! Only problem is he's on team 1! Sorry lol!

Good luck turkman! Hope you roll one up!!

Hey SS, think we're in a little lull in gobbling on the limb the last couple days. Got some friends that are die hard turkey thugs and they said they noticed it too, but still get on em! You'll get em, can't wait to see the pics when you do! Good luck!!
Old 03-26-2012, 07:37 AM
DTC Jr

I killed a hog and a gobbler in Texas. My turkey weighed 18 lbs, had an 8" beard, and 7/8" spurs. Youth season starts in MO Saturday.
Attached Thumbnails 2012 HNI Spring Turkey Contest Champions Team 4 Beard Bandits-eli-s-rio.jpg   2012 HNI Spring Turkey Contest Champions Team 4 Beard Bandits-eli-s-hog.jpg  

Old 03-26-2012, 11:25 AM
EFH
Typical Buck

DTC Jr, I hear ya buddy!!!!!! I knew you'd shake that first one off. Cool pig too!! Go out there and lets get some more, I'm right there with ya! Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.