Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2012 Turkey Contests
Team 1 Spurminators Defending 2011 Champs >

Team 1 Spurminators Defending 2011 Champs

Team 1 Spurminators Defending 2011 Champs

Old 05-17-2012, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anyone hunting this weekend? I'll be going to my property this weekend to do a little squirrel hunting and to hang a deer stand.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Guess nobody is hunting. I went to my property yesterday to squirrel hunt and saw more deer and turkeys than I did squirrels. I had thought the last longbeard had been killed by the hunter who was by me this season, but to my surprise and delight, I heard him gobble a couple of times yesterday morning. It sure sounded good to hear one gobble again. Hopefully I'll have two or three running around next season. Let's hear some updates guys.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hunted yesterday but didn't have any luck. will be out this week if the weather is nice and then the season ends the middle of the following week
Old 05-21-2012, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well my season ended a dud. Went out Friday morning and couldn't get a peep. Beautiful morning though. Sorry I couldn't add anything to our score but just too many RL things converging to conspire to prevent me from getting a turkey. Still, I had fun when I could go out. Thanks for letting me be on the team. I'll still follow the post and cheer the rest of you on that are still hunting.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:24 PM
Typical Buck

Ended my season in NY relatively early sunday morning, been chasing this bird for nearly the whole season with limited success. Was within 70 yards 3 times on him, twice he was in the roost and no dice the third time. He was super pressured and shy'd away from anything above a purr and literately ran from decoys.

He roosts on the side of a ridge with a plowed corn field below and woods behind, probably a 70ft tall ridge. Buddy setup below him incase he went there and i setup on logging road on top, no gobbles what so ever and had hens fly down from roost 20 yards from me. They moved away so i got up and took a stroll, walked 30 yards towards hens and saw one in the road around a bend scratching...she moved off the road. took 10 steps closer and peered up around the bend and holy smokes there's a strutter!!

confirmed he had a beard and at 45 yards the mossberg 835 with colonial arms (star dot) choke shooting 3.5" winchester supreme number 5s took its toll...bird down!

Beautiful 3 yr old with 1" twin spurs, 10 1/8" beard and 18.5lbs...

Last year a smasher was taken off this property, 24lbs, 10" beard 1.25" spurs, so consequently didn't hunt it much, but glad this boy had an opportunity to become king strut!

Your score is 18.5 + 10 + 10 + 20.25 = 58.75

All done in NY...feels good this usually doesn't happen till the last week...
Attached Thumbnails Team 1 Spurminators Defending 2011 Champs-img_20120520_061438.jpg  
Old 05-21-2012, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Way to stay with it MM. Congrats on a nice bird. Great way to end the season. I will submit your score. This will replace your previous score as high score. Sorry you didn't connect this season Talondale. Maybe next year will be your year. Here you guys are still hunting, and turkey season seems like a distant memory to me. I need to find some places up north to hunt.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm still hunting. Had one close on Saturday but he was lured off by a bunch of bearded hens. I ran into the hens later, they put on quite a show for me. I hope to get out once or possibly twice more before the season ends.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are bearded hens legal to take where you hunt? You may not want to kill one anyway even if it is. I have killed one, but probably wouldn't do it again. It was the first and only bearded hen I had ever seen. It was in Tenn., so it was legal. Good luck during these last few days.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:52 PM
Typical Buck

Anytime you want to venture into yankee land SS more then welcome....no guarantee's though!
Old 05-23-2012, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by superstrutter
Are bearded hens legal to take where you hunt? You may not want to kill one anyway even if it is. I have killed one, but probably wouldn't do it again. It was the first and only bearded hen I had ever seen. It was in Tenn., so it was legal. Good luck during these last few days.
In RI I can shoot one, not sure about in CT which is where I saw them. I don't want to shoot one anyway, at least not in the spring. The season closes in CT on Saturday, I plan to get out on Friday, maybe Saturday too. I think this early spring weather really messed things up here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.