Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2012 - 2013 Bowhunting Contest
Official Team 15 thread bow contest >

Official Team 15 thread bow contest

Official Team 15 thread bow contest

Old 10-22-2012, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Checkin in with a report on opening week here in Bama. We saw some pretty good early action mid morning over the weekend. Saw some big nannies but all had little ones with them. I saw two with one doe that still had good spots. That kinda shows you how late our rut occurs down here. That doe must have been bred no sooner than March or April. I also had a very large cat trot up the road about 80 yards away from my stand Sunday morning. That's the second big cat I've seen in the 15-20 years I have hunted our land. Call it a mountain lion, cougar, wildcat, catamount, whatever......it's one big bad beast. This one wasn't as big as the first one I saw about 10 years ago, but still big enough to make my jaw drop. That long slender curled up tail and low to the ground trot will make your hair stand up every time. It's gonna be warm for the next week and a half so I probably won't go again until a few days into November.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:43 PM
Typical Buck

Thumbs up

Will
Jeff has hunted the bowzone a few times before. Ask him what -30 I's like to sit in for 8 hours, LMAO. Good luck to you guys.
Rocky
Old 10-25-2012, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sitting in minus 30, well it's cold, extremely cold. Doing it for eight hours straight seperates the big boys from the little boys. It's sort of like hunting day in and day out at 13,500 feet above sea level for elk. Hopefully Rock, you get your fair share of that too!

Who's doing what this weekend? Chime in and state your goal.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:29 PM
Typical Buck

Thumbs up

Will we don't have to go that far for our elk,and no 13.500 ft would take some time to get used too. You actually need to get that high for them. Ive hunted them in BC in The Rockies but at about 8500 ft. That was a blast, to bad it was a restriction area with a 6point per side area only. I drew my bow 6 times in 4 days there only to be told don't shoot. That was disheartning.
Rocky
Old 10-26-2012, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rocky,

Sure, our elk can be hunted anywhere from 5500 feet up to 14,000 feet. However and for the most part, during our hot archery season the elk are as high as they can get. They spend the daylight hours just below timberline. They tend to move above timberline to feed during the evenings and through the night. It requires a lot of boot leather and effort to successfully hunt these amazing beasts. You have to have a mind that looks something like this:

Old 10-26-2012, 08:09 AM
Typical Buck

Thumbs up

Will
Guess I'm SOL, LMAO
Rocky
Old 10-28-2012, 06:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hunted Friday and Saturday evenings, but didn't even see a deer. I'll tell ya, at this point I'm VERY glad I took that little 8pt when I had the chance 2 weeks ago. I'm working with 2 antlerless tags remaining.

Hey Rocky, how are things going in the great north woods?
Old 10-29-2012, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hang in there Early, I have a sneaky feeling things will pick up...

I finished early with my deer and elk hunters andd was able to pop over into Wyoming yesterday morn (left the house at 3:30am). I had an unfilled doe/fawn antelope tag. I made short work of the task (a rifle is still just too easy but none the less the right tool when time is a premium). I made it back home in time to butcher, clean-up and watch the Saints lose to the Broncos from Mile High Stadium. Another good weekend....
Old 10-29-2012, 11:07 AM
Spike

lol half hit a 143 7/8 buck, and he is banned too funny.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I missed this, why was half banned? I guess we need two new teamies, right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.