Team 1 check in

Old 10-29-2012, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hope all you fellas stay safe. I haven't been out in over a week...been dealing with kidney stones pretty bad. I pass several a year, but for the past 3 months straight, I have been either having them move, or passing them. The last week-plus has been brutal. Feeling a little better today...may go out this evening. The last place you want to be when dealing with a stone is 25+ feet up a tree...yikes!
Old 10-29-2012, 01:51 PM
Typical Buck

Well this season is turning out great. Season opened 10/01 this year 2 weeks earlier than normal. went out a little bit here and there but was really looking forward to this week. And now we have this liitle storm hitting the east coast and rain all week. Man, one of these days I will get out there
Old 10-30-2012, 03:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

how'd everyone weather the storm? not too bad here... we didn't lose power... but quite a few people did locally... not nearly as bad as expected though.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:10 AM
Typical Buck

Ouch! on the stones there Bible Man...

Fortunately we did not get the very high winds (~74) last night that they had forecasted from Sandy for our area, so we didn't lose power. (I have a backup generator anyway). We got over 5" of rain, but that was much needed to erase a drought deficit. All in all, we came out pretty good here in my part of So MD.

-fsh
Old 10-30-2012, 08:17 AM
Fork Horn

We lost power for about 1.5 hours. Looks like this afternoon may be a good one for a sit in the woods. Winds are around 7-10 mph with occassional gust to maybe 15-20. About 2 hours from now I will make the decision to go or stay home.

Glad those affected by the storm had no serious damage.

Dave
Old 10-30-2012, 10:35 AM
Typical Buck

We did alright here in wny where I am at. No damage, i havent heard of anyone loosing power. Windy and rain this morning but it all seemed nice around 11. I went out got in the stand and all it did was blow and rain, so I left as soon as I got to the house the rain quit and the wind. LOL thats my luck it has been nice since
Old 10-30-2012, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

That was a productive evening in the woods even with the light drizzle/rain. In stand at 3pm, at 3:20 I see a nice 8 point chocolate rack buck slowly working my way from the left. I watch him from 60 yards and guess him at upper 120's, just when he hits the 40 yard mark I need him to take about 5 more steps to clear a holy tree and a doe comes down off the hill right in front of me.

The doe kept looking back from were she came and the 8 point did not even see her. All of a sudden that spike buck I keep seeing comes screaming out of the thick brush behind her and starts dogging her. The 8 point see's this and goes after the spike and pushes him off her. I lose sight of the 8 point but can see the spike with his nose to the ground searching for a doe. Suddenly off my left at about 80 yards I catch the 8 point working his way to get down wind of me. He gets about 30 yards from my left and hangs up, then I see a doe pop up in front of him and he is off after her. The spike decides he would like to run her down too.

I watched for the next 20 minutes the doe, 8 point and spike run back and forth in front of me just out of range. Finally the 8 point turns on the spike and chases him out of there. He returns 3 minutes later and runs the doe out of sight. 10 minutes after that the spike comes in from behind me and stops 10 yards directly in front of me. He feeds on acorns for a few minutes then wonders off. 30minutes later I have two doe come in off my right side in front of me and feed for a few minutes then they wander off.

Literally about a minute after I lose sight of the two doe and 9 point buck comes strolling down the trail, I grunt once he stops, darn no shot. He then takes off running up the hill and when he gets about 30 yards up the hill I see the two doe running. Close to tagging a buck tonight guys.................finally seeing some good bucks and they are starting to cruise.

Dave
Old 10-31-2012, 08:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Dave,
Sounds like a very exciting night in the woods.... and seems like things are really heating up!
Just a matter of time now!
Old 11-01-2012, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am pumped for this weekend, haven't been this excited to get out in a while. The deer where moving good last weekend, and this weekend should be beven better...
Old 11-01-2012, 04:50 PM
Typical Buck

I had a (mature) ~120 class 10 ptr yesterday evening at 12yds. V good mass, but lacking spread and tine length. He was a classic "management" buck, but I gave him a pass, violating the "shoot the first day what you would shoot the last day" rule, lol. The bucks are moving, good time to be in the woods guys!

-fsh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.