Team #13 The WIDOWMAKERS

Old 09-11-2012, 11:15 AM
Fork Horn

I like the idea. Shoot a doe first and then if you can get a buck for the upgrade. I have been going after a buck since last year. He is 5.5 or 6.5 ten pointer. I will settle for an 8 I have seen on a few outings... Even though I think he is 3.5... I have been hunting with a bow for 8 years and have gotten a few doe but I keep seeing a big buck and end up passing on a lot of smaller younger bucks because I choose to try for the big boys... So in short I have yet to take a buck... I have seen the big 10 three times since may and it just keeps me thinking about it... I seem obsessed with it... I drew back on a basket 8 last year and then let it walk because I was sure I would cross paths with that 10... My cousin seen it a few times but never within range... My son and I had it within 15 yards during spring turkey and it looked great... At that point he looked like he had ball peen hammers coming off his head... This one deer takes all my attention... I feel like Capt. Ahab chasing the white whale......... I could write a story about this thing... It is the one deer I think about everyday... Biggest Buck I have seen NOT on Tv...

*Edit: lol... This IS the year for me!!!! LOL...

Last edited by 26drawny; 09-11-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:24 PM
Typical Buck

Well 26drawny, our season is 1 1/2 months long this year. I hope you connect with that big guy. It kinda reminds me of 2 years ago when I saw the same giant 10 three days in a row, but couldn't get a shot. Then on the fourth day I had a monster with a chocolate colored high rack chase some does by my tree doing about 30MPH. Then I was determined to bag him, but haven't seen him since.
My neighbor told us that his trail cam had 150+ pics of (all bucks) in a weeks time. I don't have a cam out, it got zapped in a lightning storm and haven't sent it for replacement yet.
So I'm scouting the "oldschool" way, which is fine by me!
BTW We only get 1 "either sex" tag in NY, but with our lenghtened season, bagging a buck should be no problem!
Jermelott, your "conditions" for alllowing points for doe sounds right.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:05 PM
Fork Horn

This thing had a chocolate colored rack... I seen him 4 times but never within range... Closest he came was about 50 yards but I had no shot and I was on a rub line with a scrape right behind me... I sat there for some time watching him eat and sniff the air... I prayed he would walk that line and he just turned and walked the same way he came in... Friggin Ball peen hammers the first week of may.... I am dead serious about this big boy... Yeah this is great to have the season extended...
Old 09-12-2012, 12:24 AM
Typical Buck

"I dont see anything wrong with it as long as it is something like this
one doe (something like 25 or 50 points)
you only get points for one deer! a buck or a doe
you have to kill a doe first and then you can upgrade your score if you shoot a buck.
(you cant upgrade with a doe if you shoot a lil bitty buck first!! lol)"

I like this idea.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:00 AM
Fork Horn

25 points at the most I think as some people may get thier first buck ever and it might be on the small side and it might be scored at 40.....
Old 09-12-2012, 10:15 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 26drawny
25 points at the most I think as some people may get thier first buck ever and it might be on the small side and it might be scored at 40.....
I agree 26drawny! thats exactly what I explained in my vote.
We shall see!

What about everyone else?? what do yall think and what have you been seeing out there?
Old 09-12-2012, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't understand why it can't be run just like the gun contest. 50 pts. for a doe and whatever your buck scores?
Old 09-12-2012, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by WIbuckchaser
I don't understand why it can't be run just like the gun contest. 50 pts. for a doe and whatever your buck scores?
That's most likely how it's going to be!
Old 09-12-2012, 09:43 PM
Fork Horn

I say just keep it the way it is. As hunters, I'm sure we can all agree that adding more rules and regulations just adds more problems. Keep it a Buck contest and leave it cut and dry.
If we must add does, than I think 20 points is more than enough.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:07 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by phil_pick
I say just keep it the way it is. As hunters, I'm sure we can all agree that adding more rules and regulations just adds more problems. Keep it a Buck contest and leave it cut and dry.
If we must add does, than I think 20 points is more than enough.

Phil, I agree that 20 points is enough. The reason that the administration is considering letting does count is to keep member involvement in this contest. Typically in the past, once a member realizes that he is not going to help his team with a buck, he wouldnt really keep up with the contest anymore. This way someone can go out (even late season) with his bow and get some points for his team and feel that he contributed. Thats the main selling point (member involvement).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.