HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   2012 - 2013 Bowhunting Contest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2012-2013-bowhunting-contest-133/)
-   -   Team 8 Rubliners (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2012-2013-bowhunting-contest/370051-team-8-rubliners.html)

StealthHtr22 09-24-2012 01:53 PM

Well, after a very disappointing opener, I shot my "earn a buck" antlerless deer last night. I'll try to post the picture tonight if I remember.

AR Bowhunter 09-26-2012 03:50 PM

I spent most of the weekend wet even with the high dollar rain suit. Go figure!

StealthHtr22 09-27-2012 07:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I filled my anterless (earn-a-buck) tag this past Sunday. Not sure if the "doe" rule will come into effect, but if it does, does a button buck still count? Does it specify doe or just antlerless?

Honestly, I hate shooting a button buck, but this deer was directly under me at one point and I could not see the buttons. Even though it counts as an antlerless deer for my county and I earned my buck, I'm disappointed it was a button buck.

Attachment 23150

StealthHtr22 09-27-2012 07:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my tag.

Attachment 23151

Vermont_hunter 09-28-2012 03:31 AM

Well even though its a button congrats, yes the doe rule is in and im pretty sure its antlerless not just doe

BigCountryHunter 09-28-2012 08:40 AM

I private messaged Fieldmouse who is running this contest ... Waiting on confirmation from him on the rules to see whether or not that the button buck will count towards a doe or not for the team... Will let you know as soon as I know.. Thanks...

Vermont_hunter 09-28-2012 08:46 AM

well i won't have time to hunt this weekend but i ran to the check the camera that i had on a scrape, these were the best ones. the first buck is the 6 pt i got the video of.

BigCountryHunter 09-28-2012 08:48 AM

StealthHtr Congrats !!! First one to put some points on the board for the team !!! Awesome job..

Got the message back and its good to go for the use of a doe in the contest.. I'll get the pic n post over on the official thread for ya..

Congrats again..

BigCountryHunter 09-28-2012 09:02 AM

VH They are sparing here now alittle bit also... Havent really seen any big boys in awhile... I'll have to round up my trail cam pics and put some of the ones im after on here... Goin to check cams sometime this weekend..

StealthHtr I got ur entry posted on the Score Card Thread..

Pope94/IA 09-28-2012 08:45 PM

Congratz on the deer! I've shot a couple button bucks thinking they were does. No shame in that. Any deer should a guy should be proud.

Me and the team are headed out tomorrow to spend the weekend at the cabin. Going to take a youth hunter out with us and try to get him a nice mature doe or buck. Then monday starts with the opener. No school for us!

Vermont_hunter 09-30-2012 05:42 PM

well guys i moved things around and was able to get out tonight. i had the big six at 30 yards but wasn't able to get a shot. but I checked my camera on the way out and was glad i wasn't able to get him. im guessing this guy right around 110ish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z77wF...&feature=g-upl

Pope94/IA 10-03-2012 04:57 AM

No luck opening day or yesterday. Seen a few does but nothing close enough. Still alot of fields up here in Iowa.

AR Bowhunter 10-04-2012 04:28 PM

Every time I have been out so far it has been 65-70 degrees at daybreak or pouring down raining. An 80 plus during the day time.

This weekend they are calling for rain again Saturday but temps are suppose to be in the 50's for the highs Saturday an low 60's for Sunday. So things should be better this weekend if Saturday is not a wash out.

BigCountryHunter 10-05-2012 08:46 AM

I hunted Tuesday evening from 4 pm until dark down by a river bottom.. Didnt see a single deer.. Seen 2 squirrels, 30 turkeys, birds, etc lol.. Seen a few deer while driving home seems the huge moon had them coming out late..

I seen alot of deer around 7 or so yesterday while coming back home from fishing..

Going to hit the same stand this evening and probably tomorrow evening as well.. Might hunt tomorrow morning but not sure yet.. Hunting a different stand sunday for the first time since the wind will finally be right and a few days next week it'll be huntable as well..

Good Luck to everyone that is hunting this weekend !!

BigCountryHunter 10-05-2012 08:07 PM

Hunted This Evening.. Only seen 5 does and they were to far away for a shot... Alittle more movement but not much.. Alot of the crops are comin out so I think its put a damper on the deer movement but its all almost done so they should get back to normal soon.. Seen more scrapes and rubs showing up different places so the bucks are gettin alittle more active as of late..

Might hunt tomorrow evening, not sure yet.. Definitly huntin the other stand sunday as the wind will finally be right.. Alot of activity in there the past few days on the game cam..

bassman417 10-08-2012 04:55 PM

Ive been out a few times, seeing some does but none close enough. Havent seen any bucks but thats pretty typical for early season. Still learning the area Im hunting but dont want to explore too much and run the deer off.

AR Bowhunter 10-08-2012 05:04 PM

I hunted Most of the day Saturday except for about two hours. I manage to see three bucks. An eight that was about sixteen inches wide, small seven an a spike. Could not get on the eight. He look to be in the 118 area or so.

TheinesPines 10-08-2012 06:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I have been soooo busy lately. It is wedding season in my family apparently when it should be deer season. Also working on my masters degree and planning my elk hunt. I leave for CO in a few days!!!!

Here is my WI opening day buck.
I will get the number up this week!

Good luck hunting all!

buckfever8991 10-08-2012 06:22 PM

Congrats on the kills guys, I haven't had any encounters with the big buck yet. I've seen 55 deer in 6 set but nothing in range until tonight when I missed a doe at 45 yards. Clean miss, rather have that than an injured deer, so I'll be back at it tomorrow and hopefully slow down a little next time as I kind of rushed through my shot tonight.

BigCountryHunter 10-11-2012 04:32 PM

Congrats on the Buck !!

Im going hunting tomorrow evening before the big front and rain move in all day saturday. Probably will get out in the deer woods on sunday too.. I'll check trail cams when im out there ..

Hope everyone is doing good !!

StealthHtr22 10-11-2012 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by BigCountryHunter (Post 3983921)
VH They are sparing here now alittle bit also... Havent really seen any big boys in awhile... I'll have to round up my trail cam pics and put some of the ones im after on here... Goin to check cams sometime this weekend..

StealthHtr I got ur entry posted on the Score Card Thread..

Good deal! Glad I could contribute something. Thanks for posting it the the Score Card Thread. Now it's time to look for a P&Y. Been tough with the number of hunters on one property and EHD on the other. Hopefully a good one will show when the pre-rut activity starts here in a few weeks.

Pope94/IA 10-12-2012 08:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got some more points for the board.

Got my self a doe tonight while out hunting with the girlfriend.

BigCountryHunter 10-13-2012 06:09 PM

Congrats Andrew !!

I got it posted for Entry on the Scores Thread

TheinesPines 10-17-2012 02:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So wow....finally got back to get my antlers. Here is the numbers.

Inside--9
Left Brow --.5
Left g2--3.25
Left g3 -- .75
Left Main --12
Right Brow --0
Right g2 -- 3.5
Right g3 -- 2.75
Right Main -- 12.5

Total of 44.25
I think that is right. No monster by any means, but with Venison in the freeze, and elk trip tomorrow and a master thesis due.....I am glad to have him.

I hope I did that right, can someone double check for me.
Thanks!
Pines

Pope94/IA 10-17-2012 06:45 PM

Congratz on the buck!

I got a couple new ones on camera

http://iowabuckmen.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=577

BigCountryHunter 10-17-2012 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by TheinesPines (Post 3992095)
So wow....finally got back to get my antlers. Here is the numbers.

Inside--9
Left Brow --.5
Left g2--3.25
Left g3 -- .75
Left Main --12
Right Brow --0
Right g2 -- 3.5
Right g3 -- 2.75
Right Main -- 12.5

Total of 44.25
I think that is right. No monster by any means, but with Venison in the freeze, and elk trip tomorrow and a master thesis due.....I am glad to have him.

I hope I did that right, can someone double check for me.
Thanks!
Pines

Congrats, I double checked it for you and 44.25 is right so far but you left off some measurements that I will need to finish the scoring for Entry...

You forgot to get the H measurements for the left and right beams.. (Mass)

H1 Circumference Between Burr and First Point
H2 Circumference Between First and Second Points
H3 Circumference Between Second and Third Points
H4 Circumference Between Third and Fourth Point

Here is a Diagram if you need help with the Locations of the H's

Post these measurements when you get em .. Thanks and Congrats on the buck..

Also please remember that each team member can harvest 1 doe for 25 points also.. Just need a pic with you the doe and ur bow in it..

TheinesPines 10-18-2012 07:32 PM

Thanks....It will be a week before I get those measurements.

Off to Colorado!

Pines

BigCountryHunter 10-19-2012 09:41 PM

Checked the game cams tonight, nothing worth a hoot really on any of em.. Havent been seeing much movement at all.. Seen a few small bucks chasing does and sparring with eachother..

Im going to be hunting most of this weekend and through out the week while the weather is stable and the wind is down suppose to be in the 70s though but then drop purdy low..

Hunting a spot for the first time tomorrow evening..

I need to move a stand and hang another one within the next couple of days also..

Vermont_hunter 10-20-2012 03:46 PM

well guys i messed up, i had a small 8 come in tonight to 10 yards and i decided to take a quartering away shot, im not sure if i flinched, he jumped or my bow had got knocked off... maybe it was a little of all 3 but i ended up hitting him right where the back and hips come together, i shot him at 6, im not going to look for him until the morning, hopefully i find him but it was a terrible shot, i won't be getting much sleep tonight

BigCountryHunter 10-20-2012 08:01 PM

This evening was pretty nice to be out in the woods.. Seen 3 does and a buck.. The buck and one doe were 10 yards from me.. The buck was pretty small so I let him walk and the doe kept looking back , seen a big bodied deer in that direction but it never got close enough for me to see what it was.. Didnt wanna reach for the binos with the doe 10 yards away.. They are takin the corn out at this place this week so it should push alot of deer into where i am..

Hunting tomorrow afternoon at another place..

BigCountryHunter 10-22-2012 06:18 PM

Hunted yesterday evening ... Seen 7 does and that was it.. They were all a few hundred yards behind me.. Moving the stand to the other end of the timber where they have mostly been using lately ..

Pope94/IA 10-23-2012 04:57 AM

The rut is starting to hit a little in my area. Had a real nice 145" 8 pointer come out following does around.

This weekend is going to be some primo hunting! Rut will be here. Nice cool 40-45 degree weather.

BigCountryHunter 10-26-2012 07:45 AM

This weekend should definitely be some awesome hunting.. Did some scouting in the crappy weather the past 2 days and found a area just tore up with scrapes and rubs... Hung a tree stand in there yesterday evening...

BigCountryHunter 10-26-2012 06:48 PM

Seen alot of bucks chasing does this evening... Some pretty nice bucks but no monsters yet... Trying to hold out for a beast !!

BigCountryHunter 10-27-2012 08:13 PM

Hunted again this evening.. Bucks were chasing does alittle bit not as active as it was yesterday.. Had a buck n doe 15 yards away but he wasnt a shooter size.. Seen another buck but couldnt get a good look at him through the timber and seen alittle spike.. Movement seemed to stop at 530.. They were really moving 3 to 5 this evening..

bassman417 10-28-2012 03:14 AM

Hey guys, been working 7 days a week lately but did manage to get a couple hunts in after work. went out tuesday and hunted an island, had two does come in and misjudged my yardage and shot low. climbed down out of my stand and got my arrows and not 5 mins after climbing back up a big 10 pt came in on the same trail. not sure if i shot high or he dropped at the shot or a little of both but I hit him in the loin. he stood in front me at 50 yds for at least half an hour then walked off. went to see how the blood looked and started to follow the trail which ran north on the island when my buddy and i look over and see him walking back to the south to catch up with the 2 does. I find my arrow just past where we saw him walking and spook him and he runs off, no more blood after that. I convince my buddy I know exactly where I hit him and if he was going to leave the island he would have but he has food, water and does so well give him a week then try to get a 2nd chance at him. Sorry this is so long but it was quite a hunt even though it didnt end in a harvest and wanted to share it with you guys.

BigCountryHunter 10-28-2012 09:31 PM

Hunted again this afternoon.. I seen 12 bucks and a bunch of does.. Bucks were chasing does pretty good.. All the bucks were pretty small.. Seen one that looked decent but he never came in.. Could of shot 5 bucks at 10 yards or closer but they were all dinks..

TheinesPines 10-29-2012 05:23 AM

Well I am back from CO. Our camp knocked down 2 elk (one about 300in.), 2 mulies, and a bear. Not to bad and a ton of fun.

As for the measurements I missed.

L R
H1 2.75 2.75
h2 2.25 2.25
H3 2.25 2.25
H4 1.5 1.5

That I think does it so we can get those points on the board.

Can someone help me get it posted?
THANKS!!!!
Pines

BigCountryHunter 10-29-2012 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by TheinesPines (Post 3997222)
Well I am back from CO. Our camp knocked down 2 elk (one about 300in.), 2 mulies, and a bear. Not to bad and a ton of fun.

As for the measurements I missed.

L R
H1 2.75 2.75
h2 2.25 2.25
H3 2.25 2.25
H4 1.5 1.5

That I think does it so we can get those points on the board.

Can someone help me get it posted?
THANKS!!!!
Pines

Thanks for the measurements...

I'll get it posted today..

BigCountryHunter 10-29-2012 11:17 PM

We Currently Have 111.75 Points So Far

Off to a good start !!

2 does and a buck.. Hopefully many more to come

Pines I got ur buck posted for entry - 61.75