HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   2012 - 2013 Bowhunting Contest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2012-2013-bowhunting-contest-133/)
-   -   Team 8 Rubliners (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2012-2013-bowhunting-contest/370051-team-8-rubliners.html)

buckfever8991 09-08-2012 11:49 AM

hey all I'm checking in, better late than never

BigCountryHunter 09-08-2012 06:31 PM

Team 8 - Checked In List
StealthHtr22 - Indiana
BigCountryHunter - Iowa
Pope94/IA - Iowa
frosty452 - Ohio
steve m - Canada
Bassman417 - Illinois
Vermont_hunter - Vermont
AR Bowhunter - Arkansas
buckfever8991 - Illinois
Camokenny - Iowa

Hasn't Checked In

TheinesPines

1 more to go ...

steve m 09-09-2012 04:04 PM

already a buck on the board --thats Cool. around home season starts oct.1

BigCountryHunter 09-09-2012 10:18 PM

My season starts Oct 1st also ... Deer moved purdy good over the weekend.. Seen a bruiser a couple miles from one of the places I'll be huntin.. Dont know if he'll travel that far but hope he does lol.. Still seeing alot of bucks in velvet and some out of it..

camokenny 09-10-2012 05:07 PM

camokenny checking in and ready to put the smackdown on another giant here in iowa. Looks like we have a team full of midwest hunters.

StealthHtr22 09-10-2012 08:10 PM

Indiana implemented the "earn-a-buck" rule/law this year for all urban counties, meaning I have to shoot a doe before killing my buck...which means I'll be killing a deer Saturday morning. (I hope I didn't just screw myself) Anyone else encounter this in their state? And what are your thoughts on the law?

BigCountryHunter 09-10-2012 08:33 PM

Im not a big fan of that law just cause I think It takes out to many deer from the population.. Not only does it take out that 1 doe but any offspring it could of had and if it has big buck gene traits that it carries to pass along to the offspring..

Plus I don't like being forced to do something I really may not want to do

On another note if you do harvest a doe please take a photo of it with You, The whole doe and your bow.. As we maybe going to count does for team points pending a vote ..

BigCountryHunter 09-10-2012 08:46 PM

Welcome Camokenny.. October 1st is coming up fast.. Have you been seeing anything lately ?? What part of Sw Iowa are you in ??

BigCountryHunter 09-10-2012 08:56 PM

Welcome buckfever .. Hows your area looking for the upcoming season ??

AR Bowhunter 09-11-2012 05:21 PM

We open up this coming Saturday morning.

StealthHtr22 09-11-2012 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by BigCountryHunter (Post 3975837)
Im not a big fan of that law just cause I think It takes out to many deer from the population.. Not only does it take out that 1 doe but any offspring it could of had and if it has big buck gene traits that it carries to pass along to the offspring..

Plus I don't like being forced to do something I really may not want to do

On another note if you do harvest a doe please take a photo of it with You, The whole doe and your bow.. As we maybe going to count does for team points pending a vote ..

Yeah, I don't like that I "have" to shoot a doe. I butcher my own deer, so having to kill one early really makes it more of a hassle since it's so warm. I generally wait until it's cooler to harvest a doe.

I take pictures of everything I harvest, so that won't be a problem.

buckfever8991 09-12-2012 04:54 PM

5 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by BigCountryHunter (Post 3975841)
Welcome buckfever .. Hows your area looking for the upcoming season ??

Things are looking good. Having some camera issues at the moment, can't get these dang TC35's to stay running. But I've got a few on the hit list from the summer but they have all seemed to disperse. So Ill keep running cams and scouting, hopefully I'm good for a Pike county stud. Just got a new Heli-M last week, finally upgraded the switchback xt so I'm definitely ready for the season to open 10-1.

Here are a couple pics from my farm this summer, the first one is a buck we call Zeus who we haven't seen in a month, the next is Goofy for obvious reason, the last two are from my last card pull and I'll need to see some more of them before I make my mind up on them.

Good luck and safe hunting to everyone this fall.

steve m 09-12-2012 06:14 PM

I leave Friday for 2 week ,Head up to Red Lake for the Moose hunt .
I will be back ....You guys better leave a little room on the meat pole for me

BigCountryHunter 09-12-2012 06:19 PM

Whats up with your TC35's ??? Thats what I have and been running em non stop so far without any issues (knock on wood) ...

That Zeus buck is a beast !!!! Good luck on him, hope you see him once season opens..

BigCountryHunter 09-12-2012 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by steve m (Post 3976670)
I leave Friday for 2 week ,Head up to Red Lake for the Moose hunt .
I will be back ....You guys better leave a little room on the meat pole for me

Good luck moose hunting !! Hope you smoke a big one.. Be safe and have a blast...

buckfever8991 09-13-2012 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by BigCountryHunter (Post 3976674)
Whats up with your TC35's ??? Thats what I have and been running em non stop so far without any issues (knock on wood) ...

That Zeus buck is a beast !!!! Good luck on him, hope you see him once season opens..

They work great for a while and then decide to go all crazy and not stop taking pictures, had 7400 pics in a week of nothing with nothing moving in the pics. Im going to check cams again Sunday so hopefully he'll come back around. I'll post some more pics if I get anything good

Vermont_hunter 09-13-2012 11:16 AM

Hey guys, i have a long weekend off so i will be hunting in NJ this weekend. i have to harvest a doe before i can take a buck but hopefully there will be some good deer movement. ill try to keep everyone posted on what im seeing

BigCountryHunter 09-13-2012 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Vermont_hunter (Post 3976922)
Hey guys, i have a long weekend off so i will be hunting in NJ this weekend. i have to harvest a doe before i can take a buck but hopefully there will be some good deer movement. ill try to keep everyone posted on what im seeing

Good luck on your hunt bud !! If you do harvest a doe take a picture of it with you , the whole doe and your bow.. It looks purdy solid that doe's are going to count for points this year...

BigCountryHunter 09-13-2012 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by buckfever8991 (Post 3976847)
They work great for a while and then decide to go all crazy and not stop taking pictures, had 7400 pics in a week of nothing with nothing moving in the pics. Im going to check cams again Sunday so hopefully he'll come back around. I'll post some more pics if I get anything good

Are you taking 1 pic at a time or multi pics at once ??? Has it been really windy ?? Are ur cams low to the ground with underbrush around or anything way out in the background or near a cornfield ??

TC35 picks up motion really good.. I had 1600 pics in 2 days on mine and it was just the wind moving stuff around.. I have mine set up to take 3 pics at a time and you see way more motion of things than you do with 1 pic at a time..

buckfever8991 09-13-2012 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by BigCountryHunter (Post 3977103)
Are you taking 1 pic at a time or multi pics at once ??? Has it been really windy ?? Are ur cams low to the ground with underbrush around or anything way out in the background or near a cornfield ??

TC35 picks up motion really good.. I had 1600 pics in 2 days on mine and it was just the wind moving stuff around.. I have mine set up to take 3 pics at a time and you see way more motion of things than you do with 1 pic at a time..

5 pics at a time. Its been pretty still the whole time judging by the thousands, literally, of pics with nothing moving lol. I always clear out the brush and weeds and junk, what I am having trouble with is Primos communicating with me and keeping me updated.

BigCountryHunter 09-13-2012 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by buckfever8991 (Post 3977106)
5 pics at a time. Its been pretty still the whole time judging by the thousands, literally, of pics with nothing moving lol. I always clear out the brush and weeds and junk, what I am having trouble with is Primos communicating with me and keeping me updated.

Lol gotcha was just making sure.. Sometimes its the simple things lol... I wonder whats wrong with it.. Maybe the trigger is stuck or something.. I heard that primos isnt the greatest customer service anymore.. I use to love primos stuff and still do for the most part but I been lookin at alot of other companies ever since bushnell bought out primos..

Hope my TC35s dont have any issues come up..

AR Bowhunter 09-14-2012 12:55 AM

Well guys leaving for the camp here soon. Can't sleep. Did not get to hunt but seven days last year due to family health issues. Looking forward to this season. Be back in Sunday sometime.

StealthHtr22 09-14-2012 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Vermont_hunter (Post 3976922)

Same here. Hopefully we'll both be putting slick heads on the ground Saturday morning. Good luck to ya!

Vermont_hunter 09-15-2012 08:36 AM

well guys just giving you an update, i sat last night and this morning. last night i saw 13(mix of does and fawns and one small buck) only had one small fawn come into range so i never even picked up the bow. i did get some good video of it though. i sat a different stand this morning and saw 4 but the were out in the field next to me, only 350 yards away so pretty close lol. tonight im pretty sure i will sit where i did last night and hope that a doe comes in range. the farm said that he saw a buck he thought went 140 last weekend, so hopefully he wanders by the camera and i can post a picture of him. goodluck out there everybody

BigCountryHunter 09-15-2012 11:27 PM

Awesome Buck AR !! Hope you see him this season !!! Hope ur having good luck over the weekend !!

BigCountryHunter 09-15-2012 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Vermont_hunter (Post 3977810)
well guys just giving you an update, i sat last night and this morning. last night i saw 13(mix of does and fawns and one small buck) only had one small fawn come into range so i never even picked up the bow. i did get some good video of it though. i sat a different stand this morning and saw 4 but the were out in the field next to me, only 350 yards away so pretty close lol. tonight im pretty sure i will sit where i did last night and hope that a doe comes in range. the farm said that he saw a buck he thought went 140 last weekend, so hopefully he wanders by the camera and i can post a picture of him. goodluck out there everybody

Thanks for the Update VH !! lmao !! 350 yards you could of gave em a volley lol ... Wonder how many feet over em you'd have to aim lol.. Good luck hunting and hope you see that 140 buck or bigger one come walkin in..

Barbara472 09-15-2012 11:35 PM

Welcome AR bowhunter and Andrew. Sounds like you two have some nice places to hunt, if the rest of our team is as fortunate we should have this in the bag.

BigCountryHunter 09-15-2012 11:47 PM

Hey Jake, I hope your wedding is going great over the weekend !!! Congrats Again

BigCountryHunter 09-15-2012 11:54 PM

Sorry Barbara472 your not on this team, nor any of the other 3 or so teams you have posted check ins with.. Please dont spam on this team thread... Thanks

bassman417 09-16-2012 05:16 AM

Hey guys Im still around. Getting married in just under 3 hours, thank you bigcountry. I put my cam out earlier in the week but it was on public land and I saw where somebody had drove by it so I pulled it after only a day, no pics. I did however see 5 does that day and 4 does on friday in the area. Its just a small patch of timber thats part of a 3000 acre public forest so like a little sleeper spot. I know there bucks in it I just have to get the courage to leave my cam out and hope nobody feels it there for the taking. Good luck to all and Ill be checking in more often once things settle around here.

Vermont_hunter 09-16-2012 05:43 AM

well guys im still seeing them, saw 9 again this morning, still only fawns came in range though. i did however see this nice 6 point buck. hes not the big one but would be a good one to get out of the gene pool, i liked the video so i thought id share it with you. im moving my stand to across the field tonight sense they seem to be spending more time over there.
let me know what you guys think, hes the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LMbOkEZYb0&feature=plcp

Pope94/IA 09-16-2012 05:14 PM

Nice Video! My team and I will be filming every hunt this year so I should have plenty of film to show you guys.

Me and one of the pro staffers went out to check cameras and look for deer this mornin. We got pictures of the same bucks coming through at 7:30 in the morning. Ones a nice 140 and the other I would dare to say go 150+ We have been getting alot of pictures of nice bucks. Our plan is to bury a blind in the brush where they are going through and load it with scent spray. We are hoping if we get out there early season we can catch them before they start moving.

BigCountryHunter 09-16-2012 05:30 PM

Attention Team !!

Official Rules Change !!! Does Will Count This Year.. Each Team Member Can Harvest One Doe For 25 Points..

Just Like A Buck For The Doe To Qualify You Must Take A Photo Of The Whole Doe, You and Your Bow. All 3 Things Must All Be In The Picture

Thanks

AR Bowhunter 09-21-2012 03:38 PM

I did manage to shoot a nice boar Saturday afternoon in the pouring down rain. I was on the ground when I shot him he was about 12' away from me. Good little short story. If anyone would like to hear I will post it. No pics raining to hard. I was soak an wet.

TheinesPines 09-22-2012 09:44 PM

Hey Guys....I know I am late.

If I have not been replaced I did score on a deer and am hoping to get a bigger one next weekend. We will see how it goes. I will post my score when I get the horns back from the butcher.

If I have been replaced....sorry!!!! Between school and work and a broken computer I have not been on as much as I should.

Will post a pic soon.
Pines

Vermont_hunter 09-23-2012 07:42 AM

welcome pines, im not sure if your to late or not? but congrats on your deer. well i just got back from my weekend hunt once again the flat heads are staying just outta range however i had my first encounter with a nice 8 pointer. he was 50 yards away, i would say he is in the 95-100 inch range. no monster but i would be happy with him, also saw the 6 again and a bunch of yearling bucks, they are starting spar and look for does. one yearling was chasing already

buckfever8991 09-23-2012 01:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well my #1 hit lister showed back up finally!

BigCountryHunter 09-23-2012 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Vermont_hunter (Post 3981512)
welcome pines, im not sure if your to late or not? but congrats on your deer. well i just got back from my weekend hunt once again the flat heads are staying just outta range however i had my first encounter with a nice 8 pointer. he was 50 yards away, i would say he is in the 95-100 inch range. no monster but i would be happy with him, also saw the 6 again and a bunch of yearling bucks, they are starting spar and look for does. one yearling was chasing already

Seen to small bucks sparing this evening while I was out scouting.. Hope you see some bigger bucks movin in ur area soon..

BigCountryHunter 09-23-2012 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by buckfever8991 (Post 3981635)
Well my #1 hit lister showed back up finally!

Really sweet buck !! Good luck on him.. Hope you get em

BigCountryHunter 09-23-2012 09:49 PM

I been purdy busy as of late... I picked up permission on two different private farms.. Probably 600 acres worth of ground combined !!! Been scouting both of them the past week or so... I found one good spot on one and a few on the other.. Putting stands up tomorrow.. Got some cams out at both farms.. Exciting.. A week until season.. Cant wait !!!