Community
View Poll Results: Doe harvests accepted?
yes
85.71%
no
14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Team Pass Thru - #7

Old 11-14-2012, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

hell of a good buck!!! im about to head to the blind now!!
Old 11-14-2012, 04:31 PM
Fork Horn

[quote=sdhunter11;4004594]nice score jesse, good luck topping that one next season.
Yeah, gonna be a tall order there.... I'm gonna be good for a while after that one I think....
Old 11-18-2012, 10:53 AM
Typical Buck

Well, Illinois' first firearms season draws to a close this evening & Ill be back to bowhunting our primary property come tomorrow morning. Didn't see a whole lot of mature deer moving during shooting hours the last 3 days, but the gunshots were plenty, so someone was doing well & having fun.

I hope you fellas are still hunting hard. After looking over the scorecard, I see we're losing our lead, but we're also losing it to a quantity of small antlered deer & not so much to big quality bucks. Which makes catching up & even regaining the lead not so difficult. There's alot of season left & we're still seeing alot of rut activity, so get out there and hunt.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Nebraska firearm season also ends today. I got 1 doe out of it last weekend and really screwed up yesterday. I took my 5 yr old son out for a sit in the truck overlooking a wheat field bordered by a treeline. Seen 3 bucks chasing a doe, 1 which was decent. Then about 1 o'clock had 2 different bucks chasing a doe. 1 was probably the biggest buck I've seen down there in person and he was pushing off the nice 4x4. The doe and him bedded down behind a couple evergreens. The waiting began. But not for my son. He was insisting(crying,throwing things atlking loudly) that it was time to go home. After a half hour of telling him to shut up I chose to do a sneak. Got to 30 yards and the doe jumped up. Then he stood up up and whoaaaa daddy!! I raised my gun, looked through the scope only to see a big evergreen blob. I tried pulling off a shot but he bounded away free of any wounds. I was not a happy individual and I think my son figured that out real fast. So I went back out this morning and had a big bodied deer skirting in the treeline. Couldn't see the rack but I'm hopeful it was him. So on the positive, he still is out there for bow. And by the way, all these deer were under my fave stand but the wind was wrong to sit in it.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:12 PM
Typical Buck

Take the good with the bad. Atleast ya know he's in there.

I also made the mistake earlier this season of taking my kids on a scouting trip. The trip sounded simple, take my 4 sons, a 12yr old, a 3yr old, a 2yr old & our 6 month old in mommas mini-van out to our spot to sit in the van & glass the deer from 3/4 miles away. It went great, I kept em all quiet & entertained for over an hour with the dvd player for the 2 toddlers & the cd player for my 12yr old. Momma packed plenty of snacks to keep em quiet & we actually had a pretty easy time, until it was time to leave. Because I had left all the electrical accesories running for over an hour, it drained the old, worn out battery to the point it wouldnt start the engine. So I got out the jumper pack, but it wouldnt produce enough juice to get us going. So I called momma but she had already left for work that night. I ended up calling my brother to come rescue us. Unfortunitly he lives just over an hour away & in that 1 hour all my sons except my 12yr old decide it was time to lose their effin minds. Needless to say, they caused me to also lose my mind. I still beleive my 12yr old, though bored & restless, refrained from acting up just out of pure survival instinct & fear of being left out there once help arrived. lol
Old 11-19-2012, 07:16 PM
Typical Buck

I sat in the stand all day saturday and never seen a deer. Sat in the stand sunday morning and seen 1 nice buck but he never came close enough. Got anxious mid morning and did some draw hopping with the rattling horns, no luck with that so i went to a stand i had not sat in all season for the afternoon hunt. Seen a goofy little fork horn with his right side antler growing out of the side of his head and coming down by his eye. About 3 o clock i heard grunting coming down the draw and sure as **** here come a buck chasing a doe. He looked to be around a 120class buck and i had been looking for bigger all season but i decided i would take him if he gave me a chance. Just as i made my mind up the wind quit and i was once again left at the mercy of the thermals. The doe came by about 20 yards ahead of the buck, smelled me, tucked tail and headed out with him in toe.

Another ****ty encouter marked up on my dreadfull season.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:28 PM
Typical Buck

We've got a long holiday weekend approaching, anyone have plans to be afield? I looked over the calender earlier & Im planning to get at least a few hours on stand every day starting Wednesday on through Sunday.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:12 PM
Typical Buck

Well, spent the morning afield with no success towards killing a mature buck. Decided to run by my pops house for awhile this afternoon instead of heading back out & ended up with two trailcams. Neither are great, but both worked after testing & since my pops gave em to me, Id say Ive had a fairly productive afternoon. I realize its the middle of the season & cams should have been out 4 or 5 months ago, but I'm going to set em both up anyways in hopes of patterning a late season trophy.

I'm going to place one of them, the Moultrie, on a woodlot watering hole & the other, a Wild Game Innovations, on one of our mineral sites which is just outside of a big multi flora rose thicket which we believe is one of our giants bedrooms. Both of these areas are between a big ridge top bedding area & Ag fields so traffic is expected whether we get a pattern on our shooter or not.

Though Ive never used trailcams myself, I already know that its going to be addictive & Ill end up with a fleet of cameras before the 2013 season begins. 8)
Old 11-20-2012, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have 5 cams and I want more. If you do buy any in the future spend a little more on a camera that has long battery life. If not you buy so many batteries that you could have had the more expensive cams. I have 2 scoutguards that are awesome and the rest are moultries.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:24 PM
Typical Buck

The Moultrie he gave me is a low end of its brand & the Wild Game Innovations is a high end of its brand so I basicly have two p.o.s cameras. lol But they both have the option of adding a 12v for longer battery life. The WGI cam has a ton more options than the Moultrie & the Moultrie is about as basic as it comes with nearly no options, but they both work & he was willing to part with them so I took em.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.