Community
View Poll Results: Doe harvests accepted?
yes
85.71%
no
14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Team Pass Thru - #7

Old 09-11-2012, 08:06 PM
Typical Buck

it is 2x2 miles square plus 160 acres on the small squares on the top and bottom pics, crops are corn, sunflower, harvested wheat stubble, and 40 acres of alfalfa. you can see the north tip of the alfalfa in the 3rd pic from the top. it is on the very south end of the pic.

Last edited by sdhunter11; 09-11-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:32 PM
Typical Buck

I believe 2x2 is roughly 300 acres & then another 160 acres, so roughly 460 acres.
I'd put a stand at every major draw that runs into or out of a crop field. Ive always put my stands 50 to 100 yards into the draw off a food source. That way I can catch em coming or going & alot of the time they use those spots for staging or bedding. I always hunt the draws & ridges but it looks like the ridges there have no wooded cover, so I'd hunt the draws. But I'd then find which draws they're traveling most & be ready to change sets just as soon as they decided to change travel corridors. If it's not wooded, I don't hunt it & I don't really care for hunting field edges. I stick to the thickets in the draws & ridges.

Your grounds there actually look alot like the one we hunt except our ridges & hilltops are covered in hardwoods.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

Well i'll be hunting Eastern Ohio Mainly in the woods i'm not a big field hunter. Even though i killed my deer last year on a field lol. I have 2 stands in oak flats one in a Nasty bottom that deer just love to run and i do have one over looking my 2 acre food plot. My total land that i have permission to hunt on is about 1500 acres. Of that about 350 are all to myself and who ever i allow on it. I am pretty strict on deer that i allow to be shot as i like to see most get to that 4.5 -5.5 age range.
But hopefully my fall plot takes off i just planted 2 acres of Pure Attraction and it's about 2" high and growing like crazy. Also planted some logging roads with turnips, and the protein feeder is topped off so they should be doing well on my farm.

Ohio season opens on the 29th i'll be limited to weekend hunts at first but once the roofing slows down then it's all day everyday for me

Thanks for the congrats on last years kill hopefully i can get us some points for this year.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:42 PM
Typical Buck

i just found the conversion, 1 square mile = 640 acres so it is just over 3,300 acres total.

I was hoping you would mention the draw in the 3rd pic from the top. It kinda runs into the crop field. Everyone that i have showed that pic to said "that has got to be the draw". But i have never seen, in my 3 years of hunting there, have seen a deer walk in or out of that draw. I think it has a curse on it. It does look perfect though.

Last edited by sdhunter11; 09-11-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:45 PM
Typical Buck

Holy **** I was way off. Lol
Old 09-11-2012, 08:48 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds like heaven Chad. Hope to see great things from this team.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:56 PM
Typical Buck

yeah chad that sounds like a hell of a setup, Those food plots have to be a huge help.

The biggest problem with most of the draws in my area is that they are very steep and narrow, which means very close quarters with the deer, i have had my best luck where the draws run into the creek at the bottom of the hill, at least there i can put a descent buffer zone between me and the trails.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:10 PM
Fork Horn

SD sounds like you have it tough where you hunt. One thing about most of my land, is it's either impossible spoil ground and i hunt the funnel where they all meet the field or large woods with logging roads 90% of the deer use the logging roads to get to my food plots so i guess i'm lucky

But listen if you guys really want a kick ass lure to use look up Smokey's Deer lure. His Pre-Orbital glad is the best out there. Put it on a scrape and watch them come investigate, My deer was living aprox, a half mile away i put that out and one week later he was living by the scrape and i killed him 100 yds from that scrape.

I would really look into that stuff i'm already using it and have bucks lookin at my scrapes i've made right now.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:13 PM
Typical Buck

I havent done much with scrape lures, that was another option i wanted to try this year, usually i focus on rub lines during the rut.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:06 AM
Typical Buck

our team is shaping up nicely you guys got some nice bucks running around! Shot a 3d shoot last night got a 254 not to bad next week ill do better. Beat my buddy though haha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.