HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   2012 - 2013 Bowhunting Contest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2012-2013-bowhunting-contest-133/)
-   -   Team Pass Thru - #7 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2012-2013-bowhunting-contest/370017-team-pass-thru-7-a.html)

On_Point 12-23-2012 03:03 PM

Well, I finally arrowed the 160-170+ drop tine buck thats been haunting our woodlot for the last few years. I took a 40-45 yard broadside shot on him this afternoon around 3pm. I hit him hard directly in the shoulder. The Rage buried into him but as he ran off he broke the protruding arrow free & burnt out of my set in a hurry. He dumped quite a bit of blood at first but as we followed the blood trail through the 2" of snow, the blood came to a trickle & after about a half a mile, we could only find a drop or two every 20 yards or so. We could follow the trail he left in the snow pretty easy, even after dark without a good blood trail. The trail he left led us into a huge bedding area, so we backed out easy. Ive got a good set on the edge of the bedding area that Ill be back in tomorrow morning. Im hoping that he'll be laid up in there recouping & will allow me to finish the job on him. Ill keep yall posted.

sdhunter11 12-23-2012 03:11 PM

awsome, i hope he died in his bed. good luck sleeping tonight jason. How far did the arrow penetrate? Was it directly in the center of the shoulder or was it closer to the elbow joint.

On_Point 12-23-2012 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by sdhunter11 (Post 4019560)
awsome, i hope he died in his bed. good luck sleeping tonight jason. How far did the arrow penetrate? Was it directly in the center of the shoulder or was it closer to the elbow joint.

The shot was dead center in the thick of the muscle tissue in the upper shoulder. The arrow broke just a few inches back from the broadhead, but hes hurt pretty bad from it. We could see in the snow that he was carrying his leg, but my brother & I didnt feel like sitting there freezing our asses off, & since I know where he went, I decided to back out.

As for sleep, Ive already decided that sleep is pretty much out of the question. Ill prep my gear & sit here patiently till morning. lol 8)

sdhunter11 12-23-2012 03:43 PM

I hope that was enough penetration. Whats your draw and poundage?

On_Point 12-23-2012 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by sdhunter11 (Post 4019572)
I hope that was enough penetration. Whats your draw and poundage?

Length is 28", poundage is 60-65.
Im pretty positive that I only wounded him, but Im also pretty positive that I can put the follow up shot on him tomorrow. But hell, I may find him dead in the snow too. The wait is effin killin me. 8)

sdhunter11 12-23-2012 04:15 PM

Im with ya bud, i remember when i wounded that nice buck earlier this season and stayed up all night and never found him the next day. The one thing that you have going for you that i didnt is, my shot was a slight quartering away and my arrow went all the way through the shoulder and out the front of the brisket missing the vitals by mere inches, and yours is still in there moving around and hopefully tearing things up enough to cause damage every time he moves.

Mottz 12-23-2012 06:40 PM

Oh man, I hope you get that buck!! I wanna see him!

Mottz 12-23-2012 06:49 PM

I went out today, after our 8"snow on Wednesday. I was pretty much in disbelief after seeing the lack of deer tracks through my ground. So I pulled all my cams for the season. And as I was leaving I seen all the deer. Over on the neighbors that will give no permission. I still may try to get out 1 more time but my faith is rapidly dwindling. I did get a couple videos of a couple shooter bucks. Take a peek and see if they work for ya.

I have pics of this guy earlier and I was hoping he'd survive til next year. He looks like he was in a good fight.

http://s340.photobucket.com/albums/o...-23-12b010.mp4

I think this may be the guy I missed during rifle. Oh well, he's still running around. Unless someone got him since the video was taken.

http://s340.photobucket.com/albums/o...-23-12b008.mp4

sdhunter11 12-23-2012 07:04 PM

sorry to hear about that mottz, It sucks this time of year when they abandon the only ground you got, is there any ranchers complaining about deer getting in the hay yet, sometimes that is a knocking opportunity.

Mottz 12-24-2012 07:17 AM

Problem is that there was no corn on my property. Had beans and milo and with such an early harvest he planted everything wheat. And with it being dryland and the drought, well it is barely poking above the ground. My adjoining neighbor has corn but all his cows are in it. So the neighbor that has corn with no cattle has all the deer. Plus he has a deer's paradise for cover. My land does have a stockpile of hay with a few tracks around it but my guess they may be hitting that just as they are passing through. So I'm hoping to hear good news from Jason on that big boy so I can redeem myself to the team next year.