Intentional Grounding team 14

Old 11-22-2012, 08:21 AM
Fork Horn

Happy thanksgiving guys went out this morning the 1st morning I've had.off in weeks and saw nothing! O well it was nice getting out took the bow even tho gun season opened the 15th loaded the shotgun and the ol smoke plow just to check the scopes and haven't looked at them after they got cleaned
Old 11-26-2012, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Been out of the woods with a cold that's got me coughing and sneezing to the point that hunting is out of the question. Congrats on the new deer posted. We're not far out of the picture. If I could get my act together and contribute we'd have a chance.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:56 PM
Typical Buck

Firearms season finishes here tomorrow and archery doe season opens on Saturday. So I'll be back in the woods looking for more venison. Today I resighted my bow and broke out a bunch of new Montecs. Also scouted 2 spots; one was fraught with tracks in the snow (noon) and the other had 5 deer moseying around my ambush site (near sundown).
Old 11-30-2012, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

Shot gun season ends here today we get a week break then muzzleloader starts....deer r awfully spooky by now...good news I finally got a pic.of a.good.buck I've been.after.most of the season
Old 12-05-2012, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Taking my bow to a buddy's family farm this weekend. It's 50+ acres tucked back in housing and adjoined to a golf course via a wooded creek bottom. Some nice bucks have been spotted here and lots of good funnel areas.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:44 AM
Fork Horn

Good luck Talondale.

There is a good chunk of timber behind my folks place and about 12 years ago when i started hunting, I shot my first deer (doe) back there just about 40 yds behind the house. I haven't been back there since. There were some nice bucks back there then but they stopped coming around. Anyhow, i was at my parents place Saturday getting some wood they have and as I'm pulling away, I just thought to myself...Just walk back there where you had that stand and see if you see any signs or whatever. Deer many of times have come into their backyard to eat the accorns and drink from the pool. I tell myself no just go on and leave but then curiosity gets me and off I go. I walk back there and not 5 minutes go by I spot some white in some thick green ivy stuff. I walk over and sure enough it's a full skull 8 pt about 110". Everything was there, spine and all. The antlers were bleached white already and 90% of the skull was picked clean but there was still a little skin and hair around the base of one antler. It made me think that maybe that happened during early season maybe, it looked somewhat fresh but the white antlers kind of throw me off. Not that it matters but would everything already be that white if this deer died this year? I have never found a shed or skull before so I have no idea. Just wondering. Cool find but where the G3 and MainBeam connect was broken off. Has 6" brow tines.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

My guess would be this year maybe really early but most of the time critters will eat the bone and horns right away
Old 12-05-2012, 05:43 PM
Typical Buck

Give 'em heck, Talondale. Sounds like some good potential.

KSBOHUNTR, maybe a good place to renew hunting acquaintances with.

Been fun here the last few days, but nothing to to show for it yet. Had a nice doe 20 yd off one morning but branches in the way. Got into a better position and then ranged her at 30, but she departed as I started to draw. Nice 4x4 broadside at 25 yd on another occasion but, of course, I`ve already clipped my buck tag. This evening I had deer all around, including half a dozen at 60 yards. While I waited for one to decide to come my way, some nearby duck hunters let out with a barrage and all the deer melted into the bush. Talked to one of the guys at dark and he said they wouldn`t be there tomorrow, so I think I`ll try again.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

KSBOHUNTR I would say it's older. I've found antlers from sheds a year later that still had their coloring. I also bury skulls for european mounts and don't see a lot of difference in 6 months. Bleaching would take a long time. Was there any algae on the bones or is it too dry there for that? Not knowing the weather conditions there I'd say at least a year old. As far as chewing the rack; well, if the whole skeleton is there then they have a lot to chew on and may not have gotten to the rack yet. Also depends on how many rodents you have in the area. How's your squirrel population there?
Old 12-06-2012, 08:31 AM
Fork Horn

Yea that's tru I didnt think about that around here coyotes will scatter a carcass and rodents take care of the rest pretty quick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.