Intentional Grounding team 14

Old 11-13-2012, 02:28 AM
Fork Horn

Canuck u r right I took it off the score sheet till I get home tonight and fill out the sheet
Old 11-13-2012, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the deer guys! I had a great 5 days off hunting with black powder, but not without some incidents. The trip started off with my Dad shooting a 8 point buck in his back field 7 am while we're getting ready to leave. That delayed our start but was worth it. That afternoon was short because of the delay and we only had 1.5 hours to hunt and we were going back to a spot we hadn't hunted in 15 years and never with anything other than a bow. The deer were moving though. I was on the ground and had a doe pass me at 10 yards and a 4 pt buck at 40. The next morning I had a spike pass me at 40 again first light and then an 8 pt at 100. Didn't take too much time to assess him, he was big enough (14" inside) and I took the shot. Meanwhile my 75 year old Dad decided to try and climb an abandoned wooden stand (act first think later) and the top step broke on him and he fell 10 feet hitting steps all the way down. Thank God he had no more injuries than a few scrapes, he wasn't even stiff the next morning. I let him know what I thought about his little adventure. So while he's lying stunned on the ground he gets a call letting him know that a friend that was just a month younger than him had died of a diabetic stroke, and no one knew he was diabetic because he never went to the doctor.

Meanwhile I'm having a tough tracking job because I didn't take the time to place my shot better. It took me 2.5 hours to track him his 250 half circle death run but I finally found him. Hit was back lungs and liver with no exit wound. Found the sabot in a perfect mushroom in the skin of his off side. My Dad then gets the truck stuck and I lose my bluetooth headphones. That evening we see 20 turkey and 5 does, all too far away. I have a buddy meeting me the next morning just to sit on a stand with me and catch up.

Next morning is cold and frosty but we don't see anything all day. We have to cut the hunt short to go to the viewing of our friend. We got back late that night and hit the sack.

Saturday morning another friend comes up to hunt and he sees a 4 point but my Dad and I strike out. The evening hunt I decide to set up on the ground in the middle of a field that's getting overgrown. I setup below a clump of 7' dog fennel about 60 yards from a persimmon tree. At 5 I give a grunt and a minute later I hear something coming to me from across the field. I can't pinpoint the location but it's crossing uphill from me. As I'm peaking through the fennel I hear something beside me. I look just in time to see a small buck 10 feet away from me turning tail and heading to the woods. He had circled me faster than I could spot him. He stayed in the woods stomping for a while and I tried another grunt but he eventually snorted and left. The ghillie suit worked well enough if I'd been able to spot him earlier. It was funny and a great way to end the hunt.

Rifle season opens Saturday for two weeks and then it's back to bow.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

Great buck Mibowhunter91! Congrats! I may try an area in the morning that has been good to me in the past. It is about an hour drive and a 1.5 mile hike with the climber on my back. I used to do it without hesataion, but I guess I am getting old. Tough to get myself out of bed knowing i have that hike ahead of me.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:09 AM
Fork Horn

Nice buck Matt. It's good to see points on the board because it looks like a lot of other folks are doing the same. Sure glad that hunt worked out for ya.
I sat Monday all day except 12:00 to 2:00. A bunch of small bucks chasing but not near what I'm looking for. I'm back at work now but taking Wed. off and going to another location for an all day sit.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:51 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys! He isn't the biggest buck running around but I couldn't be happier about him I watched this buck multiple times in the beans this summer and hung that stand with a.plan that worked out. Wish everyone the best of.luck I still have a buck tag but I have a few places that need a lot of does shot still
Old 11-13-2012, 05:00 PM
Fork Horn

Matt, you get 4 H measurements on both sides regardless of the number of points. You measure the circumference of the main beam half way between the last point (G3 on the right side in your case) and the tip. If it were a spike you still get 4 circumference measurements you would just divide the beam evenly and take the measurements. It will only be 2.5 to 3 inches, but no sense in shorting yourself. I sure hope I see something that nice tomorrow.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:30 AM
Fork Horn

Hey thanks for the heads up! Went and changed it
Old 11-14-2012, 08:19 PM
Typical Buck

Looks like they're coming thick and fast now team. Great time of the year.

Mibowhunter91, nice score on your buck. No matter if he wasn't the biggest around - I'd take one like him any day of the week.

Talondale, sounds like a nice sized buck you got, too. Can't wait to see the pictures. That was a heck of a 5-day hunt, to be sure.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:59 AM
Fork Horn

Thank you! I would shoot his twin tomorrow and end my season I'm happy with him. From the looks of it a lot of nice bucks are being shot this year
Old 11-15-2012, 08:16 AM
Fork Horn

What a massive neck on that buck, congrats!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.