Community

Intentional Grounding team 14

Old 10-22-2012, 11:19 AM
Fork Horn

Well early muzzy was a bust. I may try to get out tomorrow morning. The weather is suposed to get into the mid to upper 70's here for the next few days, so i may try and beat the heat. Doesn't look like it will cool back down until Snunday. Hopefully the heat gets out here for good before the rut get starts.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:53 AM
Fork Horn

Trying a few new spots this year, public land...Have seen a good amount of deer but they are 60-90 class deer. I've ate my tags the last two years passing on the deer I have issued hall passes to so far this year. I have a trip coming up right over Thanksgiving so if I don't see bigger horns soon I will no longer issue hall passes unless a doe comes by in the next few weeks.

Last edited by *twodogs*; 10-22-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:32 AM
Fork Horn

I was out of town last weekend attending my first NASCAR race in Kansas City, KS and this weekend I'm gone again to good ol' Branson, MO. I'm going to hit the woods Friday morning before we leave and see if I get lucky. Temps here now are mid 80's and over the weekend it drops out to Mid 50's. Ugh, what a punch in the gut. Of course it would do that since I'll be gone. After this weekend i should be free to get in the woods on most weekends so obviously my chances go up. Looking forward to November.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:18 AM
Fork Horn

Made it out this morning, but the wind was a little shifty. Did see one small buck moving through the woods about 50 yards away. He winded me and slowly worked his way back the way he came. Never got a clear look at his head gear, but saw enough to know he was not a shooter.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:21 AM
Fork Horn

The forecast for this weekend and into next week has me excited after it was almost 80 yesterday calling for highs in the low 40s and lows in the 20s that should get something.moving
Old 10-26-2012, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

Went out this morning to a spot I hadn’t hunted yet this year. It is only good on an east to north east wind, which we have today and tomorrow ahead of the hurricane. Was climbing my tree about 35 to 40 minutes before shooting light and hear deer running through the brush behind me. Figured I was busted and done for the day. About 15 minutes into legal shoot hours I thought I heard something that sounded like a deer to my left. This spot has some saplings and brush around and 95+ percent of the leaves are still on here, so I could not see anything. After not hearing or seeing anything for about 15 minutes, I decided to range the few shooting lanes/ holes I had around me. The shooting was tighter then I remembered with the trees and shrubs growth. I ranged everything to the left and in front of me and was about done ranging to my right when I thought I heard something close in to my left. Figuring it would be a squirrel I pear over and there is a doe less than twenty yards working her way right in front of me. It has been a while since I had a deer seemingly drop out of the sky, but I had just scanned that whole area while ranging and have no idea how she got so close undetected. I knew she wasn’t big, but she was by herself, so I let an arrow loose on her. She was less than 10 yards from my tree and I hit higher than I wanted too and spinned her. A follow up to the lungs ended things. It is warm here so I need to take of her quick. I took a field pick with my cell phone, quality is poor but the necessary ingredients are there. It is tough to get everything in at arm’s length. I may hit another spot tonight before the storm starts rolling up this way.
Attached Thumbnails Intentional Grounding team 14-20121026_075917-480x640-.jpg  
Old 10-26-2012, 11:25 AM
Fork Horn

Good deal!! I'm pretty jealous looks like another fun filled weekend of work. My dad got out in 1 of our stands this morning and took a great 4 year old 9 point not sure on score buy he called and it weighed 240 big deer for here! I'm glad some1 got him
Old 10-29-2012, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good job slowdraw! I had less success. Starting off I was so excited about hunting Saturday I kept waking up anticipating the alarm. After a while, you guessed it, I fell so deep asleep I missed my alarm. When I woke up it was already light and to add insult to injury there were 4 does in my front lawn. Trying to get in after light has already proved futile this year so I scratched my morning hunt. In the evening as I was getting ready I realized that I had let my wife use my car which had some of my gear in the trunk. I didn't have my pack, shooting glove,face mask, gloves, shears, arm guard or turkey calls. I had an old glove and borrowed my kid's arm guard and modified it to fit with a carabiner. I had my two 9 yr old twins with me so I put them in a shooting house I have on the property and I set up on the ground about a hundred yards away, keeping in contact with radios. After a couple hours I spotted a red fox making his way through the woods about 40 yards away. After checking online with my phone to be sure I could legally kill it I tried calling it over with some lip squeeks by kissing the back of my hand. It took a bit of convincing but it eventually started my way. At 17 yards I drew but then decided that was a mighty small target and probably should let it get closer. It then turned towards me and I couldn't let down without being spotted. So I held my 53# recurve at full draw. He mosied ever so slowly my way, still head on, no shot. By the time he was 10 yards away my arm was shaking and back was screaming. I hadn't shot enough this year to build up my strength as much as I normally do because too much was going on and it was coming back to haunt me now. He finally turned to my left offering a broadside shot. I missed by a couple inches in front of his nose. The arrow skipped off into the unknown and the fox double timed it out of there but I was able to stop it with more squeeks. He kept his distance at 40 yards and circled behind me. I later heard the squirrels on my neighbor's scolding him as he passed through. It was still fun and a clean miss is the next best thing to a good hit.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

Nice job SlowDraw and enjoyed that story there Talondale.
I had planned to take of last Thursday and Friday but Thursday wasn't looking good so i went on to work and of course it turned out great. Morning temp was over 70 and by noon it was low 50's. I went out Friday morning and just before shooting light i had 3 does within 20yds. They hung around long enough that i could finally see my pins but they have moved on past any shooting lanes. About 5 min. after they moved on 2 small bucks came through following the does paths and grunting a bit. After that I didn't see anything for a few hours and it was time to head out of town for the weekend.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hope everyone rode the storm out safely. Got a light snow out of it and a noisy night but no real damage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.