Team #10 - Chasin' Tail Check-in

Old 09-06-2012, 06:04 PM
Typical Buck

Wink

Well I guess I'll be busy this weekend sighting in my new broadheads that just came in the mail. Called Ramcats,been wating since the 17th for them. Buddy of mine swears by them and also says they shoot right out of the package like his field points. I shall see Pretty tough to pull me away from my Montec's and Tekans I've been shooting for the last 6 years.
Guys a little about me, I'm not one for caring about what one says about me,I take my hunting very serious and am very crazy about scent . I go the extra mile also. I spend a day a week all though the year dedicated to make my hunts that much more easier. My best buck was a 192 7x6 14 years ago. I was just learning how to bowhunt at the time and used the antlers for rattling,Come to think of it now that's funny,they got stolen that same year from my stand. I haven't even come close to that since. On 2 of the 5 properties I hunt I have 3 bucks that will go over 200,2 on one and one on the other. Been chasing all 3 for at least 3 years and one I have been after since he was a 5x5 and maybe 140 then.
The only time I could careless about the wind is during the rutt cause most mature bucks are way to busy with their nose to the ground then about my scent wafting above his head. In the past 3 years I've had shot oppertunities at 2 of the big bucks at less than 18 yards. They choose to walk on the other side of the bush I was using as a guard.. Crap happens,that's bow hunting. I have a few moose also on the properties too so I'm leaning towards downing one with in the 1st 3 weeks of October during their rutt. That way my meat is out of the way for the year and I can zone in on the deer. There is numerous deer that are in the 140 to 150 range which is a blessing for me.
I truck drive for a huge oil Company called Syncrude and only get 2 weeks holidays. I saved one week for the rutt splitting it in 3 days during the week of the 15th then 2 more days during the pre rutt at the 1st week of December. 90% of the time I see the biggest deer during this time as most of the younger bucks are worn out chasing and the big fellas start roaming adjacent properties and are out in the open more often. So most of my huntiing now is done in the evening and on weekends. After the 15th I'll put up some pictures of some of the deer I'm after. I'll be checking my trail cams then.good luck guys and be safe.
Rocky
Old 09-07-2012, 05:18 AM
Typical Buck

Sounds like you got a plan. I would love to hunt an area that had 200+ inch bucks. Where I hunt the average buck shoot is about 115. On our lease the average is probably 125+ with some 140 inch deer roaming around. It is only out 3 year on this place and I expect all of the protein that we have been feeding to really pay off in the next few years. In my experience it take at least 3 years before you really start getting the benefit of supplemental feedings.

Good luck.

-john
Old 09-07-2012, 05:19 AM
Typical Buck

Well guys my name is Ray, I am 20 and live outside of state college, PA. I am in the process of taking over the family farm and running it myself, along with working mornings at a dairy down the road. I primarily hunt in PA but try to do a good bit down in Calvert county Maryland as well, having about 2000 acres to hunt in PA and around 1000 in Maryland. I just got down to there yesterday afternoon to scout before the opener today and saw a couple spikes, a 6 point, two 8 points in the 100-120" range,one being 2 1/2 and the other 3 1/2 i am guessing, and about 15 does but none of the big boys showed up. I am going to head down to the farms soon to hang my trail camera and get in my stand plenty early, not going to focus on any of those bucks for now, was able to sneak away for a week to hunt down here so will pursue bigger things for now. This will unfortunately probably be the only chance to bowhunt down here for awhile i am guessing but if I do shoot a monster it will most likely come from the farms down here. I will keep you guys posted how the week comes along.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds great guys! good luck and happy hunting.

Youngfart- if you down a moose could you post some pictures of it. even if its not a bull I would still love to see those pictures.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:52 AM
Fork Horn

Rocky, nice to learn about how other people do things. Hope for your sake and all of ours you connect on a dandy. As for me my name is Kevin, I live in southeastern Wisconsin on about 12 acres, surrounded by farmland and some nature reserve. There are other houses and neighborhoods around on the other side of the street and we are not but 5 minutes from the busy parts but we are in the rural western part of the town. I do not hunt there full time, but i do have a couple stands up and even spotted this guy in the field a few weeks ago
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qg1AYZDEeQ (watch at about 1:50 when he turns his head)
I hunt in the west central part of the state along the mississippi river valley in Buffalo County, WI. We have been over there since 1996 and were introduced to QDMA by my Dad's long time friend and big state advocate of Quality Deer Management. We started on a 55 acre piece that my dad and uncle bought together. We hunted there for about 8 years until selling and getting into a 180acre piece. Just a few years ago we (my dad)_ sold out his half and went looking for our own piece 5 miles down the road. (land partnerships....tough thing to keep running smooth) So about a year and a half ago, we aquired an 80 acre piece. A bit smaller, but for what is ultimately me and my dad (and the occasional lucky friend) hunting it, it is plenty. Not to mention it is on a dead end road, with No pressure,the neighbor to the east owns 130acres and doesnt hunt, and all other neighbors are big QDM practicers. So here we are, last year was our first year on it, and we got a late start. had some select cut logging done,which disrupted the woods a bit, had no time to build the cabin so a trailer was the last minute solution, and we still had 4 encounters with shooter bucks. This year we have put in additional food plots, a 1/2 acre pond, and will have top access (last year there were no passable by vehicle roads to the top bluffs). We take our hunting seriously as i'm sure most do and are looking forward to a great season.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:22 PM
Typical Buck

Talking

Henson59
Here's my last pull in August, had 2 different bulls ,2 calfs and 3 different cows staying in a 45 acre parcel. The month before I had 179 pictures of deer in there.August 1 picture of a doe,LOL. It's a honey hole for doe's.Counted 45 hearded up during the hevy snowfall of 3 years ago.http://

Old 09-07-2012, 05:25 PM
Fork Horn

Hello Team 10...Mark from Va checking in
Old 09-07-2012, 10:24 PM
Spike

Dubcee is checking in. Sorry guys was away from the computer for a few weeks. Looking forward to the contest and hopefully we can win!
Old 09-08-2012, 05:03 AM
Fork Horn

Little bout me...

I, too, am a retired Chief! (USCG) and hunt approx 2500 acres of family land. 1500 of them are in a QDM program and have been for 6 years now. It has approx 70 acres of food plots mostly in the center of the property. Dove hunted there last weekend and seen several (5) 120 class boys. I know some bruisers are there. Another property is 600 acres and is my favorite! It is surrounded by 11000 acres of nonhunted hardwoods and this property has the only fields in the area. Last year I arrowed a 145" and 8 doe there. (with tags, Va has an unlimited doe bag limit) I usually bring my camper there and stay for a week at a time in total hunt mode!

Season starts Oct 6th, but I usually wait until cooler weather sets in...we'll see! Good luck to all and let's make it a productive season!
Old 09-09-2012, 07:36 AM
Banned

hensen has my vote.

how is the avatar coming along?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.