Team #10 - Chasin' Tail Check-in

Old 09-05-2012, 01:46 PM
Fork Horn

John, how many acres do you lease?
Old 09-05-2012, 08:30 PM
Typical Buck

Thumbs up

Little Chief
Are you the same as the Little Cheif on Bowhuntingnet.com bow contest? Man my age is killing my mind ,I can't remember anyone any more ,LMAO. Captain I have 47 stands ,but had 61 at one time. I'll dwindle it down next year also to about 30. It's getting to hard to get out and about, I'm no spring chicken anymore. Will retire in 3 years and am starting to feel the cold as in last year. Arthritis just about killed me last winter. I invested in the Bodybag for this year to keep me toasty on those -40 all day long sits during the rutt. Looking forward to trying it out,I've already practice with it. Pretty good invention,now maybe I can wear my Mucks all winter long with out having to put on the heavy duty boots for -50. They weigh 10 pounds each,try walking a mile in knee high snow with those on. It's getting harder every year. Enough complaining, let's tell one another where were all from and what prospects we have for this year. Trail cam pictures would be a bonus too.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:35 PM
Typical Buck

Thumbs up

TeamWiscoUNIT61
That's a pretty decent buck to pass ,probably close to 135 I'd say. Nice when you can do that and know that there are bigger out there. Good luck this year,just don't let to many walk, sometimes it can back fire and leave you eating tag soup.
Rocky
Old 09-06-2012, 05:38 AM
Fork Horn

Well my name is Joe I am 28 and I live in a small town in Champaign County IL. I bow hunt my cousins small farm about 10 minutes away from my house. I also shotgun/bow hunt in Wayne county IL (2hrs south of me) on some family friends ground. My grand parents used to farm in that area so my dad, brother, uncle, 2 cousins and myself still go down to see old friends and hunt.

My inlaws also own 100 acres in Ohio county Indiana that I bow/shotgun hunt and this will be my second year hunting that property. It is really hilly so the exact oposite of what I am used to in IL. I haven't really been able to scout it like I would like since it's 4 hours away. I know it has big deer on the property and I have an idea where they might be so we will see what happens this season. The issue I am trying to work on is the Doe population. It has lots of slick heads running around so we are trying to as many as possible this year to get a better ratio.

My bow is a Ross Carnage with gold tip arrows and Rage broadheads.
I also shotgun hunt with a Savage 220 with a Nikon slug hunter on top.

It should be a good season for me. I have scouted more then I ever have before and I have more time set aside this season to hunt
(god bless my wife! LOL!!!!)
Old 09-06-2012, 05:40 AM
Fork Horn

Here is a picture of a monster who might just make my 2016 hit list!

Old 09-06-2012, 06:06 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by youngfart
TeamWiscoUNIT61
That's a pretty decent buck to pass ,probably close to 135 I'd say. Nice when you can do that and know that there are bigger out there. Good luck this year,just don't let to many walk, sometimes it can back fire and leave you eating tag soup.
Rocky
Yeaaa i know, i had guessed 130's as well. It was pretty early in the season, and to your point, i did know that there were bigger around. I ran into one of the bigger. grunted at this buck who was walking quartering away about 70 yds out uphill to my left, he turned around some treefall and made a line towards me. He was uphill of my stand and out in front of me, so about level with me. He was at 20 yds and i drew on him. Right as I drew I see a super small tree branch that runs horizontal alllll the way across his vitals. would i have hit it if i touched off a shot? 99.9% sure i wouldnt in heindsight, but it being there right in my peep/pin line threw me off. So i waited for him to take that one last step, at full draw for close to 2 minutes..and he never did. I had to let down and watch a 160 class main frame 12 bound away. ah well. He'd be quite the buck this year!
Old 09-06-2012, 06:46 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by henson59
John, how many acres do you lease?
We lease 800 acres in the Texas hill country. I am about 99% sure that my deer will come from there, but we also own 108 acres one county over from the house. It has some deer one it but I doubt there is a buck old enough over there to get my attention, but you never know. My cousin shot a 156 inch 8 point about 4 miles from there 2 years ago.

-john
Old 09-06-2012, 06:52 AM
Fork Horn

Well you guys sure have enough land. Some times its the spots you over look that have the big boys! One of these days I will talk the wife into letting me go on a Texas hunt. I may have to build her a new house or buy her a horse or something like that first lol!

I have also sent a PM to the last 3 members of our team.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by youngfart
Little Chief
Are you the same as the Little Cheif on Bowhuntingnet.com bow contest? Man my age is killing my mind ,I can't remember anyone any more ,LMAO.
Yeah, that's me. I have the same user name on this forum, Bowhunting.com, Tradgang and AT, but I only have an AT account so I can check out the occasional thread that has info I need. I have no desire to mix it up with that group.

While I don't have any trail cameras set up on private land, I'm very excited about this season. I'll be kicking it off next weekend on the 15th in Missouri. The next weekend I'll be in Great Lakes, IL for my daughter's graduation from Navy Boot Camp. Then it'll be weekend hunts alternating between Tennessee and Arkansas until the first week of November when I head out on a 9 day rut hunt in Ohio. I can't tell you how much I'm looking foward to that.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:47 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by henson59
Well you guys sure have enough land. Some times its the spots you over look that have the big boys! One of these days I will talk the wife into letting me go on a Texas hunt. I may have to build her a new house or buy her a horse or something like that first lol!

I have also sent a PM to the last 3 members of our team.

Well if it would help I have some horses that I would sale...LOL.

-john

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.